Sign in to follow this  
CanadianWildcat

425 Dual Quad Question

An opportunity has come to me to possibly purchase this engine with the dual quads... I was wondering if you guys could let me know if this looks correct. The engine did run. Are these the correct carbs, etc. I can see there is something going on with the linkage that doesn't look right. The air cleaner is missing I think. Thanks for any help!

208_7595.JPG

208_7590.JPG

208_7592.JPG

1964 Buick Wildcat 1 14.JPG

Posted (edited)

Looks like the rear carb linkage is removed, only running on the front carb., rear choke also disconnected. The valley pan in front of the front carb, is that rusted thru or just some black trash? And no fuel lines to the carbs.. and no choke linkage on either carb. And the missing air cleaner is probably the most expensive part.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ya I agree that looks like a hole in the valley pan... I did confirm with the seller that it did run. Ya that air cleaner is very expensive. Those carbs just look a little different than I have seen in pictures. I have a feeling they are not correct. The id number stamped by the valley pan 8K1009M2... In the picture it really looks like a "2"... but is it a "Z" I wonder?

I do not know for a fact that they are incorrect but I would ask how the back carb could even be hooked up to the fuel line?  Looks like the inlet is resting on the front carb?  

Can't say I've ever seen Quadrajet carbs on a 2X4 factory manifold. They should be Carter AFB carbs and are specific for application year. The rear carb is suppose to be the primary one.

Loren

That's what is going on... I didn't look too close before I posted these pictures. Ya those are definitely not the correct carbs. How difficult is it to find the correct carbs? Is the carb that comes on a normal four barrel setup be used as the rear primary carb?

Not sure if this helps but here is what is on my friends '65 Riv.

This is a numbers matching car.

IMG_4189.thumb.JPG.6fa2b9db3db20e503c59d79c30b5d2e3.JPG

898992515_IMG_2726-Copy.thumb.JPG.d7742b0f7ed4b8859c09eb21e48d83d3.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As previously stated in this thread, the original carbs would be Carter AFB, and also as mentioned, different carbs for different years. Most are available with some looking, but depending on one's experience, one may (or may not) feel they are pricey!

You can find original application part numbers for 1964 here: 1939-1964 Buick carb applications and for 1965 here: 1965-1974 Buick carb applications

The carbs on your engine were produced by Rochester. At different times, and in different literature, Rochester called them:

(A) 4-jet

(B) 4GC

(C) Quadrajet

Most enthusiasts refer to the 4M (1965 and newer spread-bore style) carburetor as quadrajets, and the older carbs such as these as 4GC's or 4-Jet's; but the term quadrajet is technically correct.

Looks like both of these were originally used by Oldsmobile.

Cadillac, Pontiac, and Packard all used this style (not these specific carbs) of Rochester for dual quad applications; Cadillac in 1955, Pontiac in 1956, and Packard in both 1955 and 1956. Excellent carbs.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Wildcat, here is a set-up with the air cleaner, on Craigs List in East Texas.. Post ID 6819636121  No price listed, says 1964 Buick Wildcat. Ad also states NOS grille and some other trim pieces.

image.png

image.png

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 1