Brass-era Car Battery Question

AVS619

On my last tour with a 1909 Regal my12v battery gave out on the last day (3 day tour). The battery is used to start the car (hand crank) then switch to magneto. It is also connect to the brake lights and turn signals but that is all. I noticed that the indicator lights on the tum signal switch were growing dimmer and after the stop for lunch, the batter was dead and I could not crank start the car. I got a jump from a more modern car (1960) and made it back to the trailer. The battery I was using was a lawn tractor battery about three years old but fully charged at the start of the tour. Now I have a four day tour coming up and would like to know what kind of battery others use so I can replace this one with one that will take four days of touring. Again, the battery is only used to start the car (switch set to B) then run on magneto (switch moved to M) and is used to power the run signals and bake lights. Would s 12v Optima be a good choice? Should I use two batteries? Are there any batteries out there that are not a heavy as a lead-acid battery?  I could use some advice. My wife was a bit unhappy that once again we did not finish a tour. The four day tour is being hosted by us so the car not making it would be a real issue.

I have several brass era cars that use a 12-volt lawn mower battery to start and then run stop lamps and turn signals. I have never had an issue. Most of the time the battery will last for months. But I would not trust a battery past 3 years old. I think you just need a new battery. For long tours I carry a spare battery to avoid the situation you were in. If you have room for a larger battery it will certainly last longer. But If you have room for a full size battery I would suggest putting in 2 lawn mower batteries. Then you have a back up.

• Like 2

I have used a lawn mower battery for years, but when it finally died, I replaced the battery with a jump starter.  Jump starters like the Stanley Jumpit 1000 come with power ports for GPS & cell phone chargers as well as a led light and air pump for when you eventually get a flat tire.  It can easily be recharged with a simple extension cord in your hotel room overnight, but will last for a full week of touring unless you do have a flat tire or need to jump start another car.  It fits under the seat and can be connected to your car's wiring harness with a standard 12 volt adapter.  I never tour without it since I can also use it in several of my collector cars.

https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-J5C09-Jump-Starter-Compressor/dp/B002X6VXL4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2IVPOHFR14EL8&keywords=stanley+jump+starter&qid=1552574186&s=gateway&sprefix=stanley+jump+start%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-3

• Like 3

I was thinking of the very powerful, but small and light batteries used in hand tools. You can buy spare batteries at Home Depot or maybe online. But, the jump start battery is a good idea too.

If you wish to keep a stock apearance it is possible to install an "invisible" alternator under the car, driven off the driveshaft. It will not work while stopped but will charge your battery while moving. There are some very small efficient alternators on small Japanese cars today, that are not much bigger than a grapefruit.

I think Mark’s suggestion is the way to go.  The jump boxes are just a little more convenient than a wet battery because they are AGM so are spill proof and can have other features as suggested like a built in lamp, air compressor and USB port, I’ve even seen some with a built in inverter.

If you’re on a tour you could simply bring it into the motel room each night and top up the charge with the AC wall pack.

This battery is SLA  (sealed Lead Acid) and the same amp-hour rating as a garden tractor U-1 battery (35 amp-hours):

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/sla-sealed-lead-acid/12/sladc12=35j

If you want one with half the amp-hours, here is an 18 amp-hour model:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/sla-sealed-lead-acid/12/slaa12=18nb

I would take it out and charge it every night on tour.

Lots of jump boxes are SLA batteries, not AGM batteries.

BTW, three year old U-1 lawn and garden batteries are usually past their useful life. Most have warranty lengths in months, not years.😉

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

the Optima 6 volts are supposedly discontinued..................

No, they're still available. There was a hiccup in the supply chain a few months ago but they are and will continue to be available in the future.

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone that replied. I had never thought of a jump starter. I'll have to look into that and I appreciate the battery information too. Sorry for my delay in thanking everyone. Got sidetracked which is leading up to an MRI on Wednesday. I don't have a starter on may car so I crank start it. I am right handed and now my right shoulder is an 'issue' and with four days of touring coming up, I've got to get this fixed. Thank you all again!