Honeycomb Radiator (1920's vintage)

SSMcDonald

My 1927 Packard touring car radiator developed two weeping leaks. I went on the internet and then as suggested added a couple of tablespoons of pepper (coarse preferred). Thinking about my honeycomb radiator surviving, I went further. I bought a super glue that has a brush. After drying the affected spots that weeped, I inserted the brush in those holes and surrounding several times, coating the interior with super glue. I let that dry. Then I brushed satin black over the repair. The leaks appear to be gone and unrecognizable.
2. I visited Henry's radiator shop in Tallahassee to talk with Ronald, the grandson of this three generation radiator shop. I recommend Ronald to you with radiator problems (850-222-5468, 1423 N.Monroe, Tallahassee, FL). He liked my ideas but warned me that the square honeycomb of my Packard is NOT AVAILABLE, so to be careful. We talked about Barrs stop leak. He said, don't use it. Then he said the oil in Barrs is water soluble. Strain the pellets out of the Barrs and add the oil. It prevents rust and lubricates the water pump. Who'd-a-thunk it? Any machine shop can sell you water soluble oil to add to your radiator if you cannot find a 4oz jar of Barrs

My radiator guy uses this product (and has used it for at least 30 years I know of)  http://damonq.com/TechSheets/CoreSure.pdf 

That being said though, a really good radiator guy should be able to solder the honneycomb where there is a leak and stop such.  

Sidenote:  There does reach a time where you just have no choice other than to re-core - and if you fry your engine then you have a whole lot more other problems  (ex. I can take you to garage after garage of laid up 20's and 30's cars that overheated and eventually ended up with head and block damage from adding water into hot engines while out on tours and ...