When was the first torque tube Buick?

Morgan Wright

Did the model 10 of 1908 use a torque tube drive?

I ask because the Wikipedia article on torque tubes falsely states that Buick started using them in the 1930's so they could use coil springs. Those of us with much older Buicks (and leaf springs) know different. My 1918 uses one and it obviously isn't the first.

The question is, when did Buick start using a torque tube?

Great guess, I looked it up in Buick, The Golden Era book by Prof. Therou, the 1906 model D was shaft drive and a photo in the book of the chassis shows an enclosed drive shaft.  The 2 cylinder cars were all chain drive until the end with the model 14 in 1911.

Regards, Gary

In "70 years of Buick" by George H. Damman on page 18, it says in the caption of the picture of a model D, "Buick pioneered the torque tube drive this year" and the pic clearly shows a torque tube, but on page 15  it says the model D was introduced in May 1906 but called a 1907 model by Buick sales dept.

So Buick was using the torque tube before the Ford model T, I think they invented it. Is there anything Buick didn't invent?

50 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

In "70 years of Buick" by George H. Damman on page 18, it says in the caption of the picture of a model D, "Buick pioneered the torque tube drive this year" and the pic clearly shows a torque tube, but on page 15  it says the model D was introduced in May 1906 but called a 1907 model by Buick sales dept.

So Buick was using the torque tube before the Ford model T, I think they invented it. Is there anything Buick didn't invent?

The open drive-line..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1