Sign in to follow this  
Jjezz

BATTERY DRAIN!!! (1989 TC)

OK - another problem - my mechanic can't find a slow drain on my battery - dead after sitting overnight. He is an old Chrysler man and has checked everywhere he can. It is NOT the pull down of the soft top - he checked that. Does anyone have any idea how to find this without it costing an arm and a leg???? HELP....Jjezz

This is not a quick fix but over the course of a couple of days you will know where your problem is.  With a charged up battery pull about 4 fuses and see if the car starts in the morning.  If it does not start, charge up the battery again and try 4 different fuses.  Eventually you will find the 4 problem circuits.  Then using those 4 fuses keep the process going until you find the specific circuit that is causing the problem.  Then look and see what is on that circuit.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jjezz said:

Garnet - My mechanic already did all that - no luck. Jjezz

Really? What Garnet mentioned is a very methodical approach to finding the fault. Try removing one fuse at a time.

Does the car have an Ammeter?  If so, it would indicate a small discharge. Compare it to when the battery is disconnected to when it is connected.

1 hour ago, Garnet & Gold said:

This is not a quick fix but over the course of a couple of days you will know where your problem is.  With a charged up battery pull about 4 fuses and see if the car starts in the morning.  If it does not start, charge up the battery again and try 4 different fuses.  Eventually you will find the 4 problem circuits.  Then using those 4 fuses keep the process going until you find the specific circuit that is causing the problem.  Then look and see what is on that circuit.

This ^^^^ can be done without draining the battery if you have a multimeter that can be set to read amperage by following the instructions below.  Watch the meter as you pull the fuses. When the amperage drops on the meter you have found the circuit that is draining your battery.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Connect the leads to your meter for measuring amperage and set the meter to the 10 amp scale.

Be certain you have your meter set correctly. Not doing so could destroy your meter and possibly do other damage!!

Connect one lead from the meter to the battery and the other lead to the disconnected battery cable as shown in the photo below.

battery_drain-1.jpg

battery_drain-2.jpg
  • Like 1

Curly wire for hood lamp is a common culprit, as is the light inside the spare tire compartment behind the seats. Wiring under the carpet for the seats, console light, and ashtray lighter is another place to look but requires removing seats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My experience is the same as ghosty's; here's an easy way to tell - wait till it's dark and look the car over, you may see a glow - which will be your culprit.  I had a Generic Motors truck with a battery drain - drove me nuts for weeks until one night a noticed a slight glow between the passenger's visor and headliner - turned out the light for the vanity mirror stayed on.