Painting question

broker-len

I am planing to paint my steel wire wheels with epoxy       I sand blasted two of them and it seems it will be tricky to get the paint on the spokes evenly and hub in back of spokes  evenly and with out runs  with a spray gun !!    should I use a brush ?     wandering what has worked for the other members in old car land

plymouth show.jpg

Check out the Chrysler forums and see what the guys advised me to do.

I asked the question ...... Paint or Powder coat ? and got a lot of opinions.

Might set you on the right track, OR it could get you totally confused.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

You mount the wheels vertically so you can rotate them while spraying to ensure you get full access and coverage. You stack the paint on heavy to help fill in the pits, and then slowly rotate the wheels to prevent runs. Need to use an anti-wrinkle agent if such a product exists anymore. We did the wire wheels on my Auburn -- they were rough -- using acrylic enamel paint, flowed it on until it filled in. Used a hardener and an anti-wrinkle agent. They came out beautiful, and still are. But that was in the early 1990s and the paint systems are different now, so we need others to weigh in.

By turntable  I mean something like a cheap lazy susan  that you could buy at Walmart.  This means you would have to turn the wheels over to get both sides.  Something like Mochetvelo suggests will also work fine but you have to invest a little energy into making it.  Even if it is not moterized anything that you can mount the wheel on that will turn will work either horizontal where you have to turn the wheel over or vertically  where you can reach both sides of the wheel.