Where to have wood kit made for 1931 Chevy 3 window coupe?

carlisle1926

should hop over to the VCCA and look in the 1929-32 chatter

there has been a lot of discussion recently about wood kit and wood providers for these models and years. not many options out there, unless you know someone who does it on the side.  there seems to be 2 big players, and unless they have it on the shelf will be a long wait, maybe never.  

would call and check with:

Jim Rodman at Autowood Restoration
Box 86 - Wheeler Street
Hanna, IN 46340
219-797-3775

and

Bill Cartwright at KC Wood Manufacturing
470 Rock Church Rd. SW
Willis, VA 24380
540-789-8300

I have dealt with both and a great guys, will answer any questions you have

on the VCCA there are 2 guys starting to do it on the side, so may be another option....

Edited by BearsFan315 (see edit history)

Bill Cartwright does very good work.  If you can't install the "kit" yourself labour will likely cost you two or three times the cost of the kit.

As already said, Jim Rodman from Autowood and Bill Cartwright from KC wood do make excellent wood pieces and kits with both being backlogged on orders for at least a couple years. If they have odd pieces available they will sell them but both have few pieces for 31’s. Classic wood makes pieces pretty fast and do very good work but the problem is their patterns are not alway correct and any piece I order from them I do not have them drill any holes as they have been incorrect in every piece that was pre-drilled. The other issue is if their pattern is wrong, the piece you need is wrong. They are originally a Ford wood company and are not as experienced with the names or locations of different parts. Ricky is a good guy and will try his best to get you the correct piece(s).

Another problem you will have is your model is fairly rare even in a 31’ model. Not sure if you have a rumble or trunk but there are some pieces that would be common with other models. Some cross sills, rear main sill, hinge pillars, cowl header, and probably the kick ups would cross. I would suspect the main sills would be model specific with it being a 3 window. Don’t know this for sure and I’m just going by what I’ve seen among models.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

are you keeping the car stock?  It can get expensive very quickly....................

My car was completely rewooded for 2500. and I didnt do any work. Most guys wtd 6k or more...............

cheaper to sell your car and buy one in better shape, if you arent doing most of the work.

just something to consider.

• Like 1

This is the mess that I have to start with. The last hot rodder tore out what ever V8 engine it had and installed a lot of plywood in the interior. Most of the door wood is good enough for patterns, but the rest of the wood is either missing or too far gone even for a pattern.

20190315_193200.jpg

20190315_193304.jpg

Edited by carlisle1926 (see edit history)

Well, why not start by doing the doors on your own? Again, not sure how much money you want to put into your car.

easy to put 25k into it and not even be close to being done. Nice cars like yours with old restorations can be found for 15k

Make a plan.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:01 PM, carlisle1926 said:

I have a 1931 Chevrolet 3 window coupe that needs to have all of the wood replaced. There is very little wood left for patterns. Who should I contact?

I don't have any wood, but I do have two 1931 Chevrolet Heads in excellent shape, no cracks, and they really look good.  Jack Adair, St. petersburg, Fl.