'56 Powell restoration question

weberhermit

I've had a '56 Powell in the barn for years and am considering restoring it. Its very complete, unmodified, and little if any rust.  My question to the forum is this:  Is it worth the effort and cost to restore it to truly original specs?  For example, the correct seat is missing.  Should I find an original and copy it or is just fabricating something similar (and more comfortable) sufficient for a vehicle like this?   Considering its questionable parentage, does the AACA even consider it a legitimate make?

Would a Powell be eligible for judging?  If I ever did have it judged its pretty likely that it would be the first one they'd ever seen so how would they score it?

• Like 1

This is a very unusual vehicle, made in California in small numbers in the early fifties  by putting a new body on a 1941 Plymouth chassis. I throw this in for those who are not familiar, weberhermit I am sure you already know this.

As a piece of history it should be preserved but I don't think it will ever be a show car. You have to use your own judgement. If it was me, I think I would advertise and look around in case I could find a Powell seat in a junk yard, if not, would try to duplicate the original. This should not be too hard, I would think it was either an adaptation of the Plymouth seat, or made by hand in a small shop, not hard to duplicate in your home garage. As an alternative, I might buy the rear seat out of a junkyard minivan and adapt that as the closest to the original. As I said you will have to use your own judgement, I don't think it will hurt the value much whatever you do, and if you or a future owner do find a correct seat it is easy enough to bolt it in.

Weber,

You are not in uncharted waters. Several cars are in the Pacific Northwest, and these are just the ones that I know of. Any car needs a chance at survival, if you aren't willing or able to do what's needed I hope that you pass the car on to someone who can. Be aware, though, that these are not high dollar cars, and their market is very limited.

The LeMay family car collection has one in full restoration right now. it was a donated car and the work in being performed by a group of dedicated volunteers. When I last saw the car it was close to completion. That was about six months ago. Don't mix up the family collection with the "Americas' Car Museum," they are both in Tacoma, but are no longer affiliated.

I also have an internet acquaintance who has two Powells. If you look up Powell on Wikipedia you will see his two vehicles, a pickup and a wagon. I'll email him a copy of your thread, but be aware at some point you will need to give us more information about who, and where you are located.

Bill

You restore a vehicle for the love of restoring vehicles, not the end value.  Too much has been placed on the value after the vehicle is finished, and the fact that you have more invested in it than it is worth.  Do it because you like the satisfaction of returning a vehicle to its original condition, or because you have some sentimental attachment to it.  This is the old car HOBBY, ask a golfer how much he spends on his hobby, or a fisherman?  It is for your enjoyment, if you like it do it.  I am really tired of hearing that you shouldn't restore a vehicle because you will be upside down on cost before you even get it halfway finished. 

As for the seat, I would think that it would be a production 41 Plymouth seat frame, finished in cheap vinyl.  

I am sure the AACA has seen and judges a few Powell vehicles and it would be just like any other vehicle that they judge; originality, and then workmanship.  There are many vehicles out there that a judge has never seen before but it gets judge fairly, Crosley for instance...

I own 3 Powells & host the Powell club on Facebook. There is also a Powell Registry if you look on line. Your serial number is stamped on top of the right frame rail below the area of the manifolds. All begin with PMC and 4 digits after that. The seat bottom  is just a foam block with vinyl, and the back is a board with foam & vinyl along with 2 6" long pieces of 1/8" x 1" tall strips for your seat adjustment. I can send you dimensions. These are super easy to restore, most parts are from something else.  - Miles  PMC-2083, PMC-2172, PMC-2934       http://clubs.hemmings.com/powellregistry/index.html