Catrina

Seeking 1915-1920 Dodge Brothers Touring Cabrio

Posted (edited)

Hello everybody. I am new to this site and I know I'm probably going on a long shot here but we are in search of a 1915-1920 Dodge Brothers Touring Cabrio. We know they are hard to find but we are willing to pay for the vehicle plus shipping if need be and if anyone knows where we can find one we surely would appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your help

Edited by Catrina (see edit history)

Can you tell us what a "cabrio" is?

We know what a touring car is, and often

a cabriolet is another term for a convertible.

The people here could perhaps help you more

if we knew what to look for!

Knowing your location might be helpful, too,

since this forum reaches around the world

and you might not want to transport a car

even 1000 miles.  Are you in New Zealand?

New Brunswick?  New Mexico?  Or...

All the best to you in your quest.

You are a blessing and a lifesaver, thank you so much we will be contacting them today! Thank you thank you thank you

The one in St. Louis seems like a great one.

The Fat Man steering wheel is worth $300.

I wonder what the make of the spoked wheels is.

Without leading you, Catrina, of the 6 cars Oregon' has referenced : If you put these cars in order of preference and give an explanation why you put them that way, we can be of much greater help to you if that is needed at all. We don't know your experience level, or what help you might need checking out any of these selections. I know where I would start, how about you ?   -  Carl 

I'm very new to this and I am helping a friend of mine try to find a 1915 through a 1920 Dodge Brothers Touring Cabrio they would like the serial numbers to match from behind the steering wheel on the firewall down to the springs in the front of the vehicle please let me know if there's any more information you need for I am learning myself

Hi Catrina. It is 12:30, lunchtime out here in the coast. I'm hungry, so I will be brief. I have a feeling you are going to need all the help you can get. From the incomplete picture I have of the nature of the hunt you and friend are on, I think you probably will need hands on help. I am always with Craig Hartley, and echo his impression of the St. Lou' car. If you are serious, you should get ready to move quickly. My afternoon is pretty busy today, but when I get back to the iPad, I will flesh out some details/examples for you. A suggestion : take a look at that project car not too terribly far from you in Houston. Realize there is a good chance that if they paid you $ ten grand to haul it away, you would have to spend that, PLUS about twice the asking price for the one in 'Lou' to bring it up to that apparent condition. That assumes  the car runs as beautifully as it looks. Of course, pictures make cars look better than flesh about 98% of the time. But that one certainly looks to be exceptionally well done. 

Again, the more we know about the experience level and abilities of you and friend, the better we can help.       Back later,  -  Carl 

• Like 1

And now it is after midnight. Yaaaaawnnnn. Past my bedtime. I checked the dealers inventory. This car is not one of his usual wares. Often very good deals come from a mismatch such as this. I got a super 1957 Cadillac Eldorado convertible off the back of a used truck lot at a very good price almost 50 years ago. I would be willing to call seller for you if you are serious. I can't really speak for Craig, but perhaps, under the right circumstances he might call for you. I have talked to him on the phone, and he is a strong retired guy with a great sense of humor. I also truly regard him as a genius. He is vastly more experienced than I am, though I am older. Also, by comparison, I already "have a foot in the grave". Do not take this as my volunteering anything on Craig's part. In any case we are just not there yet. We forum folk love to help, but.........................

..................... BUT LOOK   we MUST have more info regarding this hunt you are on. For starters. Why is this particular specific car and age range the target of your search  ? 

Please help us help you. You may call me if you like.     -    Carl. 206-790-6912 

A friend of mine is a purchaser and this certain vehicle is what they are looking for they needed between 1915 and 1920 and for the serial numbers to match but preferably nothing that has been restored which I do know of a few items probably will be but they literally are looking for original and willing to ship as well... car is needed ASAP though so that's why I'm kind of in a rush

You need to remember that serial number on old cars are not like serial numbers on a new car.  There are no VIN numbers.  You will have engine numbers, frame numbers and on early dodges you have a plate on the floor board with a number which can be worn off and not readable.  Are you concerned about these numbers for a tittle?

O.K. That information helps. I have always been in the camp of original unrestored  cars. This school if thought is increasing these days. However, depending on your standards, and how narrow a set of specificity you must settle for, slim pickings may make for a VERY long hunt. Since you are new here and don't know my oldest cars : my 1924 Cadillac "convertible" is totally original, unrestored except for an ancient repaint. The 1927 sedan has not even been repainted. If this level of condition and originality is necessary, let me give you some insight into ASAP. I needed a two year window of manufacture for each car. Bear in mind that a person might never find exactly what they want in cases such as this. I found them. The '24 took 3 years, which is very fast for such a "find". The '27 took 20 years. These hunts could have taken anywhere from months to never. My standards are quite high.

The cars are not for sale. If you absolutely HAD to have one of these two, what do you think it would take to have one of mine legally ASAP ? 

Giving you some time to figure this question out, RSVP,   -   Cadillac Carl,   at your service.

4DC69034-E65F-4B3F-B38E-6A02BB8C43DE.jpeg

E5BDA501-C178-40AF-8D46-84C0651B896B.jpeg

Those are absolute Beauties but it is definitely being needed between 1915 and 1920 unfortunately but you have some beautiful vehicles

That is not the point. I can see this could be taken that way, although I do indeed understand what you are looking for.The point is, that if you had to find a small fraction, a small subset of a limited range of ANY make of car ASAP, you might have to be creative if you want to have success. You might have to make an unrefusable offer to an owner who needed financial encouragement to pry such a vehicle out other their hands. A vehicle which was not for sale. I looked long and wide for my old Cadillacs, I love them, I don't ever want to sell them while I am still able to drive them. But there is a saying that EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE, YOU JUST HAVE TO FIND A PRICE. 

See what I mean ? Let me know what you think about this, and : To be continued......................... Your not so humble servant,       -     Cadillac Carl 

Those craigslist ads are probably a fraction of the Dodge touring cars out there that are for sale.  Here are a few more.
Be very suspicious in dealing with classiccars.com and topclassiccarsforsale.com as the websites may be attempting some type of scam. Their car ads have often been taken from some other website and list without the owners knowledge. 

You can also do a google search "1920 Dodge" and click on images and you will see many photos of cars and a link to a website where the car might be offered for sale.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1133650/1920-dodge-brothers-touring-for-sale-in-drake-colorado-80515

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/dodge/255803-1920-dodge-brothers-touring-convertible.html

http://showroom.auction123.com/vehicle_selling_solutions/inventory/11537/1917/Dodge/105262.html?leadsource=Showroom|vehicle_selling_solutions

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/atq/d/coquitlam-1919-dodge-brothers/6787252916.html?lang=zh

2 hours ago, dtdoerfler said:

Give me a call. I might be able to help. I am in houston. John 7135030023

I really hate to do this but I hope to spare somebody else the heartache...

If John is offering you his 1924 Dodge for sale take it with a grain of salt. HE responded to my ad last year looking for a dodge touring OFFERING HIS CAR FOR SALE and strung me along for 4 weeks while I waited for him to get me info about it. I was patient with his delays. I really fell in love with the car and it hurt bad when he backed out of any sale altogether stating his wife thought the grandkids would miss it. I really invested some time and effort into buying his car HE offered for sale only to end up broken hearted, also having passed up other cars while waiting on him. A year later it still stings. He was a very polite gentleman but he dangled a carrot and then took it away. Sad deal all the way around for me that left a bitter taste i'll never forget.   

Beware if he offers his car for sale, it might not be for sale.

Posted (edited)

I once wasted time and logistics in a similar situation. Not a car deal, but I finally had too much and walked. This was about 30 years ago, and the guy seemed about as old as I am now. He was a nice enough old fella, and was just having a hard time making an inevitable change. Funny, I think about him fairly often, feel sorry for him. Now, in my declineing mid-70s, I have some difficult imperatives myself. We really don't know what other people are going through.

Lahti35, I remember you going through that aggravating incident. I felt great sympathy for you. In light of the fact that March is "History of True Confessions Month", perhaps it would be beneficial at this point for John down in Archie Bell's home town to explain himself. This by way of apology. John, if you read this, don't take this as anything other than an invitation from a very empathetic AACA member who occasionally takes advantage of an opportunity to spread a little oil on storm tossed waters. As you have been here for a substantial period of time, you well realize what a fine group of people you are a part of. Now that this particular "bell" has been " rung", nothing but good could come from a response to my very civil, understanding invitation. As I said, we really don't know what other people are going through.                           Peace be upon you, my brother !             -  Cadillac Carl 

Edited by C Carl
Clarification & cleanup (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2019 at 12:51 AM, C Carl said:

I once wasted time and logistics in a similar situation. Not a car deal, but I finally had too much and walked. This was about 30 years ago, and the guy seemed about as old as I am now. He was a nice enough old fella, and was just having a hard time making an inevitable change. Funny, I think about him fairly often, feel sorry for him. Now, in my declineing mid-70s, I have some difficult imperatives myself. We really don't know what other people are going through.

Lahti35, I remember you going through that aggravating incident. I felt great sympathy for you. In light of the fact that March is "History of True Confessions Month", perhaps it would be beneficial at this point for John down in Archie Bell's home town to explain himself. This by way of apology. John, if you read this, don't take this as anything other than an invitation from a very empathetic AACA member who occasionally takes advantage of an opportunity to spread a little oil on storm tossed waters. As you have been here for a substantial period of time, you well realize what a fine group of people you are a part of. Now that this particular "bell" has been " rung", nothing but good could come from a response to my very civil, understanding invitation. As I said, we really don't know what other people are going through.                           Peace be upon you, my brother !             -  Cadillac Carl 

Yes, that was the incident... beautiful looking older restoration, my dream car. I would have walked on it myself if he hadn't given me information, but he was... just slowly due to family commitments and some surgery. No biggy, I am a patient guy but when I did decide to get a commitment from him on his car either way he withdrew his offer to sell all the sudden. To see it possibly for sale to another so soon really pushed my buttons. 

You're correct Carl,  we can't know what going on in another's life. I've since moved on and brought home a 1926 T touring that will be a sweet runner when I'm done. I can say that this indecent was the icing on the cake in the hobby for me and i will not be buying or restoring anymore cars for the foreseeable future after a string of disappointments and rash of not-so-fun people i've run into. I truly detest posting the warning but I would hate for anybody else to go through what I did searching for a particular car and running into a seller who waffles on selling after offering for sale. John was a very polite gentleman and we had a lot of common interests but it ended badly for me. 

Carl, I love that green Cadillac of yours, beautiful car... you must be proud! I enjoy seeing pictures of it.  

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)

Catrina, I just came across this 2 month old topic. Did you ever find your "ASAP"  car ? Are you still looking ?

Lahti 35  : How is your '26 T coming along ? I hope you have been able to drive it this Spring.

Not able to take to the road much these days. Still hoping,    -    Carl 

On 6/1/2019 at 3:39 PM, C Carl said:

Lahti 35  : How is your '26 T coming along ? I hope you have been able to drive it this Spring.

Not able to take to the road much these days. Still hoping,    -    Carl 

No drivey... I've got the engine apart for a rebuild, it was pretty scary in there! Hopefully this fall. Lots of goofy previous owner fixes to fix.

Love seeing pictures of that blueish green Cadillac of yours Carl, Its got to be my favorite car on the forum. Take care of yourself and drive when you can my friend!

Thank you !!!!!! That means more than anyone can imagine to me right now. I am sure all of us are hoping to see pictures of your T among the autumn foliage this Fall.       PM sent.   -   Carl