I Added Period Correct Turn Signals to My ‘26 DB

DB26

Hello everyone, thanks to the fine members of this forum, I was able to purchase a set of SafeTurn turn signals from circa 1924. I just got them up and running last night and wanted to share a video. Forgive the hastily made content, I did his before sundown and had my father record while I tested them. I will come back at you with a better demonstration, as well as the switching mechanism on the steering column. Now, originally these were made to install under the front windshield visor, but I chose to modify it to fit above the rear bumper. I didn’t want to drill holes in my visor.

Edited by DB26 (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Here are mine. I have found that the electrical contacts can be degraded and need cleaning from time to time. Also would be a good idea to equip with brighter, and maybe flashing lights. When on the rear, not visible from front, and vice-versa. These do come up for sale occasionally. There were quite a few new ones in storage in Portland Oregon for some reason. A couple years ago, 5 or 6 surfaced in Portland and started selling rather quickly for around $1500. Should I see if any are still available?    -    Carl 

P.S. My first set was new in box from a swap meet South of Seattle almost 30 years ago. I had been looking for attractive, period correct turn signals for the rear of the '24. I paid either $200, or $250, can't remember. The other set, mounted as intended, came off the windshield of a 1931 Chrysler CD8 roadster. Looked snake ugly, and the first thing my friend did after buying the car 5 years ago was to remove and sell them to me. $500. A high end restorer in the Los Angeles area had never seen these. Very impressed, he was interested in reproducing them. I just don't know whether this would pencil out. How much demand at $250 ? $500 ? $1500 ? They certainly are cool as can be, real crowd pleasers every time, but..................................... ?     -   CC 

94F275F6-5E1E-4862-A191-30D25F502F81.jpeg

D3E38AD0-E858-4CC8-8DE8-9A120221FCD2.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the enthusiastic replies everyone! Lovely to see them on other vehicles as well as that Dodge! Here is a little more in depth video of the signals at action. I didn’t mention the electrical connections, I forgot.  But I can add that info in another video very soon. And as a side note, the left side turn signals don’t work as well as the right, I believe the seals on this side are a little more worn. 

4 minutes ago, maok said:

I'm a cyclist, please don't knock me over when you go past me on the road with those signals....lol

Looks like they do not extend past the fenders/mudguards.

• 2 years later...

2 Years later....

I moved the turn signals to the front. I just didn’t like the clutter and all the vacuum line needed to run to the rear. 

The new wires and vacuum lines run out of the cab through the cowl lights. The cowl lights are now non functioning dummies and I didn’t have to drill any holes in the body. I’ll try to take some close up shots of the wires and vacuum lines soon. To get the vacuum through the small holes of the cowl mounting bolts, I used very thin hobby brass tubing and epoxied them in place. The vacuum line is slipped on to these connections with one set of connections on the inside of the car and the other set outside the car inside the cowl light. These then exit out the back of the cowl lights and run up the windshield channel with clips for a clean install. 

Edited by DB26 (see edit history)
  • Like 2