alsfarms

Locomobile Steam Gathering Place

Hello Ron,  It has been a while.  What is your take on the "Locomobile" engine that has just showed up on EBAY?

Al

Not Ron but he will be around shortly, Ron can smell steam.

The engine is a 1902/1903 engine built by Mason for Locomobile's competitors or could be used as a replacement engine for a Locomobile.  It is not a Locomobile.  Locomobile never had two pumps on the front of the engine, look for those two pump brackets.  Not my words, look it up in the book Locomobile Genealogy by Don Ball available through the Stanley Museum.  Mason started out building Locomobile's engines in 1899 and through about mid year 1900.  Then Locomobile themselves built their own engines and they had iron lower frames.  Masons have brass lower frames.  With the 1902/1903 Mason engines, the frames widen out on the sides after they leave where they bolt up to the cylinder castings.    A fair bit rich on the price if you ask me.  Pretty does not mean rebuilt.  

• Like 1

Hello Ben,

Thanks for the comment on the EBAY engine.  I hope it finds a good use in a project that will net another steam car put back on the road!  I wish I had the room and I would take a look at an early steamer project.  Ron did respond in a PM regarding this engine and thanks to him.

Al

Have any Locomobile Steamers been out on the road lately, more likely in the southern states or Calif.?  Any current big projects going on among this group of Locomobile enthusiasts?

Al

Has anyone had fire in the Locomobile steamer since winter has set in, maybe some of you southern folks?

Al

Has anyone had your Locomobile out for a drive lately.  Share a video or post a picture.  I am anxious to see what is up and running and where.

Al

Here is a picture of a Manufacturers dash tag that would certainly be a good addition to complete the dashboard on a restoration.

Al

5ZrAF5NvmKijsfZ3oIziNMv852QWWX7qTq-MTyZpvGPxGCENqGOKSnsilXeMkyt-vWtMAPXZ20UUgBBZfa7fy5JoSLB6d04sCb78gO1xqVfoAYyPucnwXmo7yNXwrkq8EQzXPKqYzw=w1214-h910-no.jpg

Al,

Is that something you have? Or do you know who owns it?

Thanks, Ron

• Like 1

I'm looking for a connecting rod for the early (mason) Locomobile steam engine. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Grier

• Like 1

Hello Ron,

This tag, shown above, is one that is in my small collection of Locomobile stuff.  I am thinking of having a few duplicated for use on other Locomobiles.  Do you need one?

Hello Grier,

Which flavor Mason are you needing a rod for?  I am surprised at how many extra Mason engines are still waiting to be had. 

Al

Hello Al,

Its a Locomobile/Mason model 70 engine serial number 400's. Brass lower frame etc. I'm in the process of rebuilding/restoring the engine.

Grier