Locomobile Steam Gathering Place

Grier,

Yes, if I recall correctly, those are odd size threads. The common for them, pitchlead is 24. 1/4-24 5/16-24 etc. I've joked that apparently Mason and Locomobile only had one set of change gears for the lathe - 24 tpi.

Searles? Yes, I've ran across that persons name doing research on early steamers. I'll look back over some of the books I have and see what I can find. I'm thinking it was in "American Steam car pioneers" by John Bacon. This is really a must read for anyone interested in that era of automobiles. It's most likely out of print, but used copies do show up. Pay close attention to the Hand written letter by Whitney.

Another good one is "Floyd Clymer's steam car scrapbook.

-Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Grier and Ron,

I have also ran across that unusual thread pitch on an early American-LaFrance fire engine project.  It is certainly a good thing when the SAE group got more things standardized in American Industry!

Harrison,

It looks like Ron has shared a refernce for a read you should consider....

Al

• Like 1

Hello Ron and Grier (others who may need brass Locomobile tags)

I have a quote back from a reputable "lost wax" foundry for the three pieces show above.  I will get in touch with you, in a PM, to discuss if the project is doable and to what level.  The cost of set-up is something that is a consideration but not a project killer.

Regards,

Alan

Al, I PM you back and I also posted on our Steam Traction World Forum for anyone that might be interested in the badges.

Grier

• Like 1

Hello Grier,

I chatted with the Foundry this morning and it will be OK for us to give some time to get others interested in those pieces as shown. 

Regards,

Alan

Hello Harrison,

Nice early tool, die handle and dies.  If only it could speak it probably has some nice "story" behind it!

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Alan,   Just saw this thread this morning, from the Steam Traction World site.  I built one of their Likamobiles, from the first batch, back when they were Modelworks Inc.  I would be interested in a Locomobile data plate you are having cast, as well as the Locomobile step plates (2), if they are still available.  Thanks, Doug Tomb, Falls Church, Virginia.

• Like 1

If anyone who frequents this forum, may have a need for any of the three plates shown in picture form on "Locomobile Parts For Sale", contact me  and I will include your needs in the current batch of parts being replicated.

Al

• 3 months later...