Sign in to follow this  
Dave_B

License Plate Restoration

Hi All,

I have three 1941 tags I want to have redone. Of course I want a decent job at a reasonable price. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Dave

5 hours ago, jan arnett (2) said:

I think this person is super.  He is fast and does an excellent job.

http://www.mojoartworks.com/contact.html

Thanks for the link.

I will contact him and ask about some plates relatives want to have restored.

My entire family has the old car bug so there are at least 3 sets of plates I can think of that would be sent out for restoration.

If you're restoring plates because you just have to have perfect ones on a car, go for it.

As to value, license plates are like bicycles, once restored, they lose a lot of value.  

It is best to send a plate to a professional, nothing looks worse than a poorly restored plate.....

• Like 1

I have a runs of Wisconsin and Minnesota ,  have been at it for many years. I would never buy a restored plate.  Plates from the 50's up it really makes no difference, because they are so plentiful.  

Posted (edited)

In my state restored plates are rejected. They have to be original for YOM application.

However, once you get the plate(s) assigned to your particular car the DMV wont have any reason to check them again.

I even have a set on one car that I painted to match the car. Totally illegal, but never been hassled.

Check your local laws before spending the money on restoration.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 2

When I did over my 41 plates, I painted the plate school bus yellow, which they were originally , and then took them to a vinyl sign maker and had him do the black numbers. He even applied them to the plates for $10 per plate. They came out perfect.    John

I would buy a nice set on ebay for cheap money and hang the others in the garage............

Contact your local government party officials. Quite a few of them have license plate experience or will soon be in the training program. Least, it looked like that on the news.

• Haha 1

I once gave a DMV employee in Louisiana a hard time about a title and license plate transaction.

She looked at me and said "Mr. Coco, do you want to buy a license plate, or would you rather make them?"

She won the discussion....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1