74th Revival AAA Glidden Tour, September 22-27, 2019

The 74th Revival Glidden Tour, hosted by the Hornets Nest Region, will be September 22 - 27, 2019 at Rock Hill, SC.

Registration will begin May 1, 2019 and is limited to 125 cars.

AACA members may obtain registration forms from the AACA National Office, beginning in mid-April.

VMCCA  members may obtain registration forms on the VMCCA web site, beginning in mid-April. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The reason for the lower limit is simply the size of the facilities available for this tour.  Nothing more , nothing less.  The Hornet's Nest Region came to the rescue when no one else was stepping up to do the tour.  They had to deal with the infrastructure available to this tour including banquet facilities, stops and the like.  No one  is thrilled that the tour has a lower than normal limit but as they say "it is what it is".  

Additionally, the HNR and the club have heard the rumors that one club is going to be favored over the other for spots.  Simply not true.  Entries will be accepted as received.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tour is closed. It filled up quickly. Thanks!!!

If you have sent in your registration but have not received a confirmation email,  first check your spam folder in your email.  Then, call the registrar,  Shirley Carson,  at 704 841-1990 to see if you are confirmed or on the waiting list.

Edited by Phillip Cole
Changes (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

We sent our registration on May  irst and were accepted for the 2019 Glidden Tour.  Hope to see some of you there.

They did this one by the book, in that they sent hotel info with the acceptance letter.  On some past tours many people who wanted to go made reservations before registration and caused the hotel to fill up and others didn't bother sending registrations in because the couldn;t get a room.  This way is better and fair to all.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now, 4 months after registration, looks like I'm the only AACA Forum guy touring!

I know that can't be right.   We'll be staying at the campground on the lake.

I'm sure Marty Roth won't miss the tour, but maybe he mailed in late.

I was rejected originally, but was called on an opening about two weeks ago. I had to decline because following the earlier rejection I made other arrangements, including attending the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Meet in Indiana and the Greenfield Village show the following weekend in Detroit. There just wasn't going to be enough time between trips to turn around and go to the Glidden. Also, others from Texas that normally attend Gliddens with us didn't even apply when they heard about the low registration limit. It's unfortunate -- I've made most of the Gliddens the past 15 years. 

11 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Now, 4 months after registration, looks like I'm the only AACA Forum guy touring!

I know that can't be right.   We'll be staying at the campground on the lake.

I'm sure Marty Roth won't miss the tour, but maybe he mailed in late.

I'm registered for the Glidden

Paul Dobbin, we were going to stay at the campground,  but it is 9 miles from the hotel!  Now it turns out we can stay in the trailer parking lot,  which is where I will be (with the '11 Locomobile) and my parents (with the White Yellowstone bus) , both of us camping in our buses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 6:12 PM, kings32 said:

Chris &  I are coming on the Glidden , this will be our 15 th Glidden Kings32

Look forward to visiting-

This will be my 18th Glidden,

and Dale's 16th

Merri, it sounds as if you want to hire a car and its owner

to give your father a ride.  You must be 150 miles from

the tour, and while people like to help others, every day

the tourists will be busy in the day and the evening.

It would be a considerable expense for people to come

to you, and are you willing to bear that cost?

But here's a better idea!

The best thing to do would be for you and your father

to visit the host hotel in the late afternoon when people

are coming back to the hotel from the tour.  You will

see plenty of old cars in the parking lot, and if your

timing is good, you can talk to the owners.  It might

be better to make contact in advance, such as you

are trying to do through this forum, and arrange to

meet a car owner at a specific time.  Maybe the owner

can give your father a ride around the large parking lot. 

Your father will see dozens of cars--far better than just one!

• Like 1

Adam Walkup,

We'll be spread out, we're Ebenezer Park on Lake Wylie and the Jones will be at the campground at Ft. Mill, you and your parents in the trailer parking area.  The guy at Ebenezer Park said, "something must be going on, we're full" but he didn't know about the antique car tour.

This will be our 11th Glidden Tour, always fun.  There will be lots of back & forth driving.

On 9/2/2019 at 10:56 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Merri, it sounds as if you want to hire a car and its owner

to give your father a ride.  You must be 150 miles from

the tour, and while people like to help others, every day

the tourists will be busy in the day and the evening.

It would be a considerable expense for people to come

to you, and are you willing to bear that cost?

But here's a better idea!

The best thing to do would be for you and your father

to visit the host hotel in the late afternoon when people

are coming back to the hotel from the tour.  You will

see plenty of old cars in the parking lot, and if your

timing is good, you can talk to the owners.  It might

be better to make contact in advance, such as you

are trying to do through this forum, and arrange to

meet a car owner at a specific time.  Maybe the owner

can give your father a ride around the large parking lot. 

Your father will see dozens of cars--far better than just one!

Actually:

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/sc/rock-hill/to/us/nc/chapel-hill/to/us/sc/rock-hill

It would be a minimum of a 328 mile round trip in a pre-WWII car,

taking at least all day, and maybe into the night.

John is correct when he suggests that you take your father to the cars,

and likely mid-late afternoon would be best as the drivers are returning from a day's activity  

There will be another car display in downtown Chester,  SC on Thursday,  September 26 from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.The Chester Chamber of Commerce has a lot of activities planned,  including local actors walking around in period dress. Basically,  the folks in Chester are using the tour as an excuse to throw a party.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We're here with 131 other antique cars and their owner tourists.  Phillip Cole is working like crazy to get all the broken down cars back to the host hotel on day 1.  At 5:30 PM he had six waiting.  We would have been #7 but for getting it going and finding a repair shop for some electrical work.  (Battery cable ends)

Beautiful cars of all makes.

1 Anderson, 12 Buicks, 4 Cadillacs, 7 Chevrolets, 3 Chryslers, 4 Dodges, 1 Dusenberg, 61 Fords (22 of which are Early Ford V8's),  3 Hupmobiles, 1 Lincoln,

1 Locomobile, 1 Lozier, 2 Marmons, 2 Mercurys, 1 Nash, 1 Oakland, 3 Oldsmobiles,  1 Overland, 8 Packards, 2 Plymouths, 1 Pontiac,1 Stevens Duryea, 1 Simplex,  10 Studebakers,  1 Stutz,  1 Viele, 2 Whites.  Oldest 1908, newest 1942.

South Carolina has the lowest gas tax in the country and the roads show it.

Beautiful cars and people, what more could we ask for?  Sunny and warm?,we got it.

Sure is a hell of a lot hotter then when I was here with in the  U.S. Air Force 63-65.  Vapor Lock seems to strike often in these temps. (Mid 90's)

Lots of directions and I see most participants using GPS on their smart phones.  The cars are fantastic and so is the food!  The brass cars are fast and agile enough to keep up.  Maybe in the future we'll have to do the Glidden after Hershey.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added (Mid 90's) (see edit history)