Resigning my Moderator Position

MrEarl

Lamar,

Thanks for all your years of service to the forum as a moderator and thank you for being my mentor when I started as a new moderator.  I hope you enjoy your travels and your activities at Buick Gardens.  Please post about your road trips and what is going on with your Buick Sales and Service Garage. I always enjoy reading your posts.

-Ronnie

• Like 2

Atleast it looks like he doesn't have any rocks to deal with,  just a few pebbles.  Digging a ditch around here looks more like this. 

If I was next Door Lamar I would have ran over and dug it for you I have a power digger to get stuff done around here that you see in the edge of the photo. 

IMG_1388.thumb.JPG.fe35625af8e0a74ae56a8e8099fc4798.JPG

• Like 1

Lamar, thanks for everything!  I know things have been trying at times, but your moderator activities have been appreciated.

Looks like you've got the trailer "in training" parked by the pond.  By the way, you can get a WiFi Hotspot so you can connect anywhere you can get cell service, if your existing cell phone doesn't have such capabilities.

Enjoy whenever possible!

NTX5467

On 3/11/2019 at 8:25 PM, jeff_a said:

Lamar,

I enjoyed your management of what must have seemed, at times, like a herd of cats. I have one question, though. For a long time your profile picture was you and an older gentleman. I thought maybe it was your dad, or a partner in Buick Gardens. By any chance was it Bob, "progoofoff" on the forums, who was an indomitable car collector from Tennessee?

Jeff

Jeff thanks for your comment and herd of cats would not be far off. Just kidding, this is actually one of the best mannered internet group I know of!  You are correct, that was indeed "progoofoff", the cod,  my old Buick road trip friend Bob Coker, may he rest in peace. Found the avatar you spoke of  I believe

100_28294.jpg

quite a rascal he was. I knew he was making a face during this shot, see the reduced smile on my face, just not sure what

100_2830.jpg

On 3/11/2019 at 8:51 PM, Jack Welch said:

We will miss your wisdom and tolerance Buddy. See you along the way

Not much to miss in either of those categories I am afraid. See ya on the Buick Highway I am sure my friend.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:58 PM, SpecialEducation said:

As long as you bring that Airstream to OKC in June, I suppose we’ll call it good...  we’ll be camping at Thunderbird. 

Maybe we can share some chilled monkey brain while you’re in the neighborhood!

Good Lord willing and the big muddy don't rise, we'll see ya there Matt. I did eat street vendor monkey meat a few times in the Phillipines disguised as beef but never chilled monkey brain. (that I know of)

On 3/11/2019 at 9:11 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Well, dang, buddy.  I would not have lasted that long. My fuse is difficult to lite, but, boy howdy, she is short. 

Now get to work on the CARS!

See you in OKC. With mt Tear, I hope.

Ben

Thanks old friend, see ya in OKC

On 3/11/2019 at 10:06 PM, 39BuickEight said:

A “job” very well done.  If you are ever needing to stop over in the middle of KY along I-75, let me know.  I have plenty of room for an Airstream in the driveway, and plenty of bourbon in the cabinet.

Thanks Billy. And thanks for the invite, I'll do it. I'll likely have a part of a bottle of Bulleit Barrel Strength I'll share with ya.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:22 PM, Thriller said:

There’s space at our country place, and even a couple 1954 Buick Century’s to look over, if you ever decide to cross the border.

I wouldn’t have guessed it had been that long...time flies.  Take care my friend.

We haven't started looking into Canada destinations but who knows where we might end up when we get lost.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:22 PM, retirednow said:

Lamar, always thought you did a great job as moderator on this forum. Enjoy your travels as they are very well deserved! Being a moderator, like being a union delegate, can be a thankless job

Ah, thanks for the appreciation Dave. Never sought out thanks, just a respect sufficient to do the job, which I received.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:37 PM, rivgs said:

You are leaving BIG shoes to fill buddy. Have fun and I hope to see you in OK.

Size 11's, not that big but thanks!  See ya in OKC

On 3/12/2019 at 1:11 AM, gdmn852 said:

Sorry to hear of your leaving you and the forum have been quite a help in my quest for Buick knowledge, Definitely you will be missed but I understand 10 years is a long time for a position I usually didn’t last that long in paid jobs! Thank you again for your excellent leadership and please keep in contact with the forum.Gary

Thanks for the kind words Gary. I'm really not going anywhere, just changing hats.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:19 AM, 50jetback said:

Mate -  thanks for keeping us all on the straight and narrow!

The next Australian Nationals will be held in 2020 and the Victorian Club are vested with running it. 

SO, I guess we can expect you and Rita to head on down now you will have some free time!!

Ah thanks mate. Always planned a  trip down under and hopefully we can once we see enough of the good ol' US of A.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:52 AM, billbuickgs said:

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think many will agree with me that you are a Special, Century, Super, Roadmaster  , Skylark Guy that we always

enjoy your posts . Most of us dream of the setting you have built .

I have never met you in person, but feel like you are a best friend !!

Go work in your little paradise and Please stay active on the board !

The BEST TO YOU & RITA

Bill

Indeed Bill, although we have never met in person I feel many of my very best friends are right here and you good sir are at the top of the list, SO hope we meet some day. And thanks for the kind words of the "setting". 

On 3/12/2019 at 9:29 AM, Brian_Heil said:

Thank you!

I fully expect an early Buick to now make its way to your barn. 

Semper Fi !

Thanks Brian. Not sure I'll ever get much earlier than the '38 ... not sure I could learn to clutch and shift one....

Semper Fi Marine.

• Like 2

Sometimes I get overwhelmed, relax, let it flow, and realize I am already in Heaven. The Sun had just set at my back. I didn't turn around until the lights dimmed after maybe 8-10 minutes. I wish I had been able to take good pictures with a real camera.   -   CC 

96623CAF-C715-4609-8BA5-DE266A0867D1.jpeg

D34ED303-8B68-499E-B450-BBC2E79F96E5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mr Earl!

You will be greatly missed. Thanks for your hard, fair and honest work. You have been a role model when it comes to commiment. Now go out in the garage and enjoy your Buicks.

Hope you will continue to be on our Buick forums for many years.

One thing I will remember

" No dog have ever pied on a moving Buick" 

Thanks and all the best!

Joern

South Norway

Edited by Topper1961
Correcting text (see edit history)

Lamar,

Thanks for all of your work and insight to keep the conversations going. 

If you can plan a trip up north,  the two best times would be Fathers day weekend to go to the Motor Muster at Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum or Back to the Bricks & Woodward Dream Cruise in August. 

You and Rite would go as our guests at Motor Muster, and the Back to the Bricks last year had almost 300 Buicks on the informal drive-in to GM Factory 1 & the Durant Dort Carriage Office building. You could also see the Flint Wagon Works wagon the Dandy Dave Brennen found in NY.

Larry

• Like 2

On 3/12/2019 at 10:20 AM, ol' yeller said:

Ya done good Lamar.  Now get out there and enjoy your retirement. I pick up my RV in a few weeks so maybe I'll see you out there although primarily I am on the west coast. God Bless you Buddy!

Greg

Thanks Greg, we hope to eventually make it out to the west coast and visit some of the spots I visited back in my hippie days in the Volkswagon bus, so maybe see ya there.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, avgwarhawk said:

Great job Lamar.    The pay although excellent...no wait.....  J/K.   Enjoy your time in the Airstream off the grid!!!!     

Thanks  Chris!  If I consider pay as words of appreciation, looks like I'm gettin a pretty good severance pay package. :)

On 3/12/2019 at 10:52 AM, Mark Shaw said:

Lamar,

I fully agree with the previous posts, especially the big shoes that must be filled.  You will be sorely missed. 

Please let us know if you and Rita make it to the west coast.  There's a nice spot at the Buick Barn where you and Rita can rest with some sleeping Buick beauties...  Free rides in the summer months too...

Thanks for the kind words Mark. We'll add you to our list of driveways we can boondock in.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:03 AM, Fr. Buick said:

Wow, ten years, and a lot of hard work.  Thank you Lamar, and have fun.

You are going to the nationals this summer, I hope?  I want to see the trailer!!

Thanks Doug. Will indeed see you in OKC, Lord willing and the big muddy don't rise. ;)

On 3/12/2019 at 1:35 PM, Beemon said:

You better install that McCulloch supercharger now! 

I guess the Estate wagon could use a boost but don't think it will fit:D

On 3/12/2019 at 2:33 PM, pont35cpe said:

Who is going to moderate me now?  Get out in the shop and crank up those 100Watt Pioneer CS-99A speakers to where I can hear them in Texas..

Want to hear them 99A's? Well here ya go. I'll be moving them up to the BS&S "some day"   Turn it up....

On 3/12/2019 at 3:43 PM, Pilgrim65 said:

Lamar, agree with above comments , as you know , relatively new to forum , 3 years ,but during that time  enjoyed your posts , particularly the humour and hope you haven’t had to moderate my posts to often ,  you   have been so supportive,  a true gentleman, and I thank you .

wish you many great times in your airstream, always loved them in the movies , make sure  you post some photos on your travel.

cheers

paul

Thanks for the kind words and thanks Paul. Always enjoy your posts and pictures. especially the blonds :D

On 3/12/2019 at 4:09 PM, JoelsBuicks said:

Lamar, I recall several times when your comment or encouragement would turn a bad day into good.  Straight and square with impeccable attention to detail and integrity is how you approach everything.  You did this job superbly well.

Thank You!

-Joel

Wow Joel, never knew my words could turn a bad day to good (always figured they did the opposite) but thank you for that nice comment. Everything to proper scale and attention to detail is me I guess, drivers Rita crazy sometimes though. :P

On 3/12/2019 at 5:19 PM, 60FlatTop said:

X2- ya done good. And it must have made you stronger.

If you get up this way I'll leave the light on for ya.

image.png.60cbdd110066ccea3044b39d4e44e003.png

Hey, I recognize that 8!  '1932 I believe, just picked this up at a local swap meet...

D0A9C19C-6C0C-4755-941D-5673996379A6.jpeg

On 3/12/2019 at 9:15 PM, Marty Roth said:

Lamar,

You are a credit to the hobby, and especially to us Buick folk. 

Thank you and Rita again for our all to short visit at your home, and especially for your efforts here on our FORUM.

Thanks Marty, and please drop back  by sometime.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:28 PM, 95Cardinal said:

Well done, Lamar! Thank you for your dedication and hard work!

Thanks Joe, appreciate it!!!

On 3/13/2019 at 12:46 PM, JZRIV said:

Thank you for your commitment and doing an excellent job for all those years Lamar. You definitely earned the moderator pay rate! :P 

You set an example of consistently good ethics and morals which can be challenging on a public car forum. 

Like I said, the folks here are of the highest morals one can find on a public car forum so actually the job was pretty easy peasy. But thanks for the thanks Jason!!

On 3/14/2019 at 1:46 AM, 2carb40 said:

You da man, man! Thanx 4 all yer efforts!

Thanks Greg. Sorry we never got to work on the Technical Tips forum we discussed some time ago, hopefully it can still be done though, great idea.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 12:49 PM, Ronnie said:

Lamar,

Thanks for all your years of service to the forum as a moderator and thank you for being my mentor when I started as a new moderator.  I hope you enjoy your travels and your activities at Buick Gardens.  Please post about your road trips and what is going on with your Buick Sales and Service Garage. I always enjoy reading your posts.

-Ronnie

And thank you Ronnie for all the upgrades you did on the Reatta forum and the fairness in which you always moderate. I do enjoy Buick Gardens and all the work it takes to keep it up, keeps me in shape to say the least. I'll certainly post about anything I can stretch to make be "on subject" :D   

On 3/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, Gene Brink said:

Well done, OUR good and faithful servant 😊

Thanks for the kind words Gene, really appreciate it. :)

On 3/14/2019 at 5:53 PM, Thriller said:

That spade looks like too much work...need to rent / borrow / steal a Ditch Witch 😜

Ditch witch was $200/day no half day rentals. I knocked the diggin part out in about 2.5 hours, no breaks. The backfill and compaction about 4 (including breaks)

On 3/15/2019 at 1:29 AM, NTX5467 said:

Lamar, thanks for everything!  I know things have been trying at times, but your moderator activities have been appreciated.

Looks like you've got the trailer "in training" parked by the pond.  By the way, you can get a WiFi Hotspot so you can connect anywhere you can get cell service, if your existing cell phone doesn't have such capabilities.

Enjoy whenever possible!

NTX5467

Thanks Willis, and uh, shhhhh about the WiFi hotspot, don't ruin my excuse... 😬:lol:

Sincerely, the Greek Fisherman

On 3/15/2019 at 6:11 PM, D Yaros said:

Let me join the chorus and extend a heartfelt "thank you for your service" and add that your active role shall indeed be hard to fill! 

Thanks Dave, always enjoyed your droppin in.  :)

On 3/15/2019 at 8:27 PM, Y-JobFan said:

Thank you for years of forum guidance.  You brought a big personality to the table  and in turn gave the entire forum a personality not seen on other venues.  Now get wrenching and enjoying these Buicks 

Wow, never heard it told like that and if I did have anything to do with the unique personality which this forum does indeed have then I am humbled to have been a part of making it such. But honestly it has been all the great personalities of ALL the forum members, each and every one, over all the years that have made this the fun and informative forum it has been. I have no doubt whoever takes my spot will work to maintain it and even make it better though.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:34 PM, Glassesguy said:

Thank you for all you have done. Your work to keep things fair and civil are truly appreciated. Enjoy the Buick Garage and traveling in the Airstream. Get up to New Bremen, Ohio and tour the Airstream factory.

Thank you Dave!!  and you just  gave me more good reason to make the Strongsville National Meet, it's only  2-3 hours from New Bremen, how cool is that!!! Thanks!!

On 3/16/2019 at 7:13 PM, EmTee said:

Amen, and thank-you both!  ;)

Well hears my thanks!! ;)

On 3/17/2019 at 7:20 AM, Topper1961 said:

Mr Earl!

You will be greatly missed. Thanks for your hard, fair and honest work. You have been a role model when it comes to commiment. Now go out in the garage and enjoy your Buicks.

Hope you will continue to be on our Buick forums for many years.

One thing I will remember

" No dog have ever pied on a moving Buick" 

Thanks and all the best!

Joern

South Norway

ahh Joern, thanks for those kind words. Still wanting to here more about that 3 speed Century!!!

On 3/17/2019 at 8:32 AM, Larry Schramm said:

Lamar,

Thanks for all of your work and insight to keep the conversations going. 

If you can plan a trip up north,  the two best times would be Fathers day weekend to go to the Motor Muster at Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum or Back to the Bricks & Woodward Dream Cruise in August. 

You and Rite would go as our guests at Motor Muster, and the Back to the Bricks last year had almost 300 Buicks on the informal drive-in to GM Factory 1 & the Durant Dort Carriage Office building. You could also see the Flint Wagon Works wagon the Dandy Dave Brennen found in NY.

Larry

Thanks Larry and thanks for the phone message last week. Sorry I didn't return your call but as many here know I can't hear very well and especially on the phone. In face to face discussions, I generally just nod my head in agreement, but last month I committed to hauling a car from VA to GA and didn't even realize it til it was time to go.😬   Definitely hope to spend some quality time up your way though, every time I've ever been I was in a rush to pick up cars and go. Beautiful country, terrible roads.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Folks I'd like to take just a moment to say thank you ALL for the genuinely kind comments of thanks and appreciation and well wishes. I NEVER expected so much. I am one lucky guy to have such friends here, many of which I have never even met.  As someone pointed out above this is one of the best and most unique car forums going. I have seen the negative results Facebook and other social media sites have had on forums such as this and feel good that we have survived.

When I first started this thread I just  threw out "10 years or so" as the time I have been moderator. I've been told that it's been for longer than that but can not recall when it was.  I do recall that back in '04 Brian Lawrence aka @Centurion  and Roberta and I worked on updating the forum format and adding some of the new forums namely Me and My Buick and I did find this thread referencing that. I also found a couple of threads where I had done some moderating tasks in early '06 so I guess at 14 years,  it is safe to say "10 years or so". 

THANKS AGAIN from the bottom of my heart for all the kind words and expressions of thanks. :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Want to hear them 99A's? Well here ya go. I'll be moving them up to the BS&S "some day"   Turn it up....

Lamar, you blew me away.. And the song fits right in with firing up the Buick. Chuck Berry did the Duck Walk and Mick does the Rooster Strut. I bought my 99A`s in Yokouska, Japan in 1970, and still as clear as can be, no distortion at any level. I appreciate the reply..

3 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Lamar, you blew me away.. And the song fits right in with firing up the Buick. Chuck Berry did the Duck Walk and Mick does the Rooster Strut. I bought my 99A`s in Yokouska, Japan in 1970, and still as clear as can be, no distortion at any level. I appreciate the reply..

Mines still crisp and clear too even after hanging out in the barn for 20 + years. Bought this set in 1970 in an Okinawa PX after the first set I had bought in Tokyo got lifted by swabbies while on the ship on way back to Okinawa from Mt Fuji. It along with a Pioneer receiver, Pioneer turntable and a reel to reel. Scoundrels snook into our berth at some point, removed the units from the boxes. Never suspected a thing until we were disembarking and picked the empty boxes up. 😫

6 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Mines still crisp and clear too even after hanging out in the barn for 20 + years. Bought this set in 1970 in an Okinawa PX after the first set I had bought in Tokyo got lifted by swabbies while on the ship on way back to Okinawa from Mt Fuji. It along with a Pioneer receiver, Pioneer turntable and a reel to reel. Scoundrels snook into our berth at some point, removed the units from the boxes. Never suspected a thing until we were disembarking and picked the empty boxes up. 😫

Damn thieves, they should have their twig and berries removed along with their hands. Orders for stereo equipment were placed while we were on line in the Tonkin Gulf, when we docked at Yokouska there were bob-tail trucks lined up as far as you could see, trucks were unloaded, everything stacked in the aft hanger bay. I got my stuff and went to the base post office and sent them home via SAM(space available mail). I was discharged 4mo later and was home a month before items started showing up over a ten day period. I got 4 speakers(2 pioneer/2 Akai)all 100 watt, 2 amps, a reverb, and a reel to reel with 8 track in the side. One amp and speakers in the shop and everything else in the living room. It can get loud around here..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lamar, I'm a little late to this party (and a relative newbie to the forum), but I want to join in the thanks to you for your wonderful contributions!  Silly me, I just figured you were part of the operating system around here -- I was totally taken by surprise by your announcement.  You have earned a well-deserved retirement from your moderation duties, and maybe now (I'm hoping) you will have a chance to get to work on your '38 Slantback and share some photos with us!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, neil morse said:

Lamar, I'm a little late to this party (and a relative newbie to the forum), but I want to join in the thanks to you for your wonderful contributions!  Silly me, I just figured you were part of the operating system around here -- I was totally taken by surprise by your announcement.  You have earned a well-deserved retirement from your moderation duties, and maybe now (I'm hoping) you will have a chance to get to work on your '38 Slantback and share some photos with us!

Thanks for the kind words Neil.  This and the whole AACA forum and both clubs are the best things going hobby wise and I am proud to have been a part of as you say that "operating system" for the past 14 years. When something is the best, I generally stick with it... same wife 37 years, same job 40 years,  '54 Buicks 46 years, same home (Buick Gardens)  32 years. Time spent here moderating wasn't all that time consuming, and what with the well mannered ways of most everybody here, moving a few posts to their proper forums, updating the meets and tours forum,  welcoming and helping newbies find their way around and working with Peter every now and then to help manage forum/subforum menus was about it. A pretty easy peasy job. So will not being a mod anymore help get the '38 Slantback on the road, I guess we will just have to wait and see....

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 50 Buick Woodie said:

Thank you for your dedication and time. Enjoy the new adventures

Thank you 50 Buick Woodie. We are heading out next week on our maiden voyage with the Argosy to the great Okefenokee Swamp in south Georgia, no cell, no internet, just alligators and mosquitoes :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 50 Buick Woodie said:

your email signature shows you may still have 1953 parts vehicles? 

I am still seeking a 1953 50/70 series (I have a 76r) grille

The grille on the 53 Super is badly pitted and rusty, nothing you'd be interested in I don't think

42 minutes ago, dei said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Trust everyone is doing OK.

I surely second that!! 

Lamar,

Just to gloat some, I'm a year older than you and my oldest granddaughter is in her last year of college at Univ of Rhode Island.

11 minutes ago, DShip said:

I surely second that!! 

Lamar,

Just to gloat some, I'm a year older than you and my oldest granddaughter is in her last year of college at Univ of Rhode Island.

Ship; You are a year older than just about anybody, but me!!

Edited by Jack Welch (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

Hey lamar, I just came across your retirement thread, spending too much time on the Mopar stuff now.

WOW, you really gonna retire huh.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw one post where your headed west.

You and Rita have to stop by beautiful Buena Vista, Colorado. On the continental divide for sure.

Plenty of room for the rig, with full hook ups, or if your just driving the Buick, we have a room ready.

Steak on the barby, or fine dining, your choice.

Aw nuts, does this retirement mean more or less of u no who's pictures atop your Buicks.

Mike in Colorado

100_1790_00.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats on the Grandchild the best reason in the world to do what your doing

Best of Luck, thanks for all your help on the forum

if you are ever in the LI or NYC area let us know

otherwise

I am sure we will all meet "Down the Buick Road"

On 4/2/2019 at 8:00 PM, FLYER15015 said:

Hey lamar, I just came across your retirement thread, spending too much time on the Mopar stuff now.

WOW, you really gonna retire huh.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw one post where your headed west.

You and Rita have to stop by beautiful Buena Vista, Colorado. On the continental divide for sure.

Plenty of room for the rig, with full hook ups, or if your just driving the Buick, we have a room ready.

Steak on the barby, or fine dining, your choice.

Aw nuts, does this retirement mean more or less of u no who's pictures atop your Buicks.

Mike in Colorado

I remember you telling about your full hook up driveway Mike so bet your booty we'll make it a point to drop in for a visit and steak on the barby, we'll bring the spirits. And who knows, u no who might just be travelin with us ;) 

10 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

Congrats on the Grandchild the best reason in the world to do what your doing

Best of Luck, thanks for all your help on the forum

if you are ever in the LI or NYC area let us know

otherwise

I am sure we will all meet "Down the Buick Road"

Thanks for the kind words Marty. Rita is itching to get up toward Vermont so will give ya'll a shout when we're about to pass by.

Would love to see that modified Century wagon, how's it coming along?

• Haha 1