Resigning my Moderator Position

MrEarl

Dear friends,

Yesterday I submitted my request to Steve Moskowitz  and Peter Gariepy to remove my status of BCA Forum Moderator and thanked them for the privilege of doing it for the last ten or so years. I have not received a reply, but feel it important to go ahead and announce it so that a new moderator can be selected/appointed.

For a couple of years now I have not spent much time with my cars and tried to make up for that by starting the My Buick Sales and Service garage thread but now I'm not even able to spend time with that. I think it is important that a moderator be more into the subject for which they moderate than I currently am. Additionally my wife and I plan to start traveling a good bit in our newly acquired Airstream and will at times be boondocking off grid where there might not be internet service for several days at a time, therefore creating days of dead space in regards to effectively moderating the forum.

Sadly there are other circumstances going on behind the scenes here that also helped with my decision  but I will spare you those explanations here. Do know though that it has nothing to do with the current  club political controversy, I never back down from a fight.

I want to thank every one of you for your support over the last 10 or so years. I have worked to try and build the forum with interesting thread subjects, subforums etc in an effort to maintain interest and keep the forum alive and dynamic. I have tried my damnedest to be as honest, upfront and fair with any editing or removing of posts that I thought improper or hurtful to persons or the forum as a whole. No doubt I got some wrong and I am sorry if so. 

But God, hasn't it been fun!!!! Watching the builds of cars from rusty shells and of garages from cut up power poles and scrap steel. Following road warriors on their annual trips cross country to Buick meets and the fun and camaraderie they had when there. Hearing happy stories of new Buick purchases and sad ones of when they were lost in a wreck. Believe me when you peruse these accounts and posts thoroughly  EVERYDAY, they and the people behind them become a part of your life. And a part I would never want to forget.

Not sure how the process of bringing in a new moderator will go but I know there are some good prospects out there, very qualified folks who will be up to the challenge. 

So anyhow, tha's it my friends. Love ya all,  every effin one a ya. :)

Buickly,

MrEarl

cc @Steve Moskowitz  @Peter Gariepy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 21

Sorry to hear you are resigning as moderator. In my opinion you have been very fair and tolerant of some difficult and challenging discussions. You will be difficult to replace but understand the decision to leave. Honestly you lasted about ten years or so more than I would have been able to.  :)   

There is more to life than this forum and I wish you and your wife countless years of fun together traveling. If you make it up this direction I have a spot for you and your Airstream. Enjoy your cars and life.

Carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Effin ya stop in here from time to time, it will lessen the separation anxiety I am sure everyone of us will feel. Thank you for everything you have done for AACA. Safe, comfortable, adventurous travels for you and Rita !!      Hoping to see you somewhere on the road,     -    Cadillac Carl 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lamar you will always have friends here and everywhere you go where there are old Buicks. We are all better because of your guidance over the years, myself included. Thank you for all you've done. I'll look forward to seeing you again soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow Lamar, 10 years is true dedication!  Now, get out there and enjoy your Buick Sales and Service Garage, you and Rita's retirements, and travel with the Air Stream.  Many thanks for all you've done as an AACA Forum Moderator. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What the?  New Airstream?  What happened to the Shasta?  

But seriously, you did a great job here, and with your other online involvements,  and hope you will come back to post when you can.  Take lots of pictures of your travels...and post a few if you think of us.  You will be missed!  

Lamar, as I posted elsewhere, you have done an excellent job in the position.  You should be proud of your accomplishments.  I completely understand the position of "Mod" and can say, you set the standard for others to follow.  Enjoy your new-found freedom, live life to the fullest, and HAVE FUN!  Let the troublemakers slide off your shoulders and they will bury themselves.  I've seen it time and time again.

Take care, my friend.

Lamar,    You have 100% of my understanding and support.  I have been in a similar position with our business for almost fifty years, finally handing over all of the responsibilities to our son, so that my wife and I can spend time never previously available to us in past years.  I still often come to work in an advisory capacity, but not on a regular schedule, and most of the time at work I spend tinkering with some of my antique cars (currently doing a restoration of the 1953 Skylark).  At first I regretted my decision, but little by little realized that there was finally a time to let go and enjoy life accordingly.  You have paid your dues with all of us Buick lovers and deserve some time to yourself.

Best regards and good Buicking in the future,   Fred & Nancy

Lamar,

I enjoyed your management of what must have seemed, at times, like a herd of cats. I have one question, though. For a long time your profile picture was you and an older gentleman. I thought maybe it was your dad, or a partner in Buick Gardens. By any chance was it Bob, "progoofoff" on the forums, who was an indomitable car collector from Tennessee?

Jeff

Sorry to hear of your leaving you and the forum have been quite a help in my quest for Buick knowledge, Definitely you will be missed but I understand 10 years is a long time for a position I usually didn’t last that long in paid jobs! Thank you again for your excellent leadership and please keep in contact with the forum.Gary

Mate -  thanks for keeping us all on the straight and narrow!

The next Australian Nationals will be held in 2020 and the Victorian Club are vested with running it. 

SO, I guess we can expect you and Rita to head on down now you will have some free time!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think many will agree with me that you are a Special, Century, Super, Roadmaster  , Skylark Guy that we always

enjoy your posts . Most of us dream of the setting you have built .

I have never met you in person, but feel like you are a best friend !!

Go work in your little paradise and Please stay active on the board !

The BEST TO YOU & RITA

Bill

• Like 1

Lamar,

I fully agree with the previous posts, especially the big shoes that must be filled.  You will be sorely missed. 

Please let us know if you and Rita make it to the west coast.  There's a nice spot at the Buick Barn where you and Rita can rest with some sleeping Buick beauties...  Free rides in the summer months too...

• Like 1

Lamar, agree with above comments , as you know , relatively new to forum , 3 years ,but during that time  enjoyed your posts , particularly the humour and hope you haven’t had to moderate my posts to often ,  you   have been so supportive,  a true gentleman, and I thank you .

wish you many great times in your airstream, always loved them in the movies , make sure  you post some photos on your travel.

cheers

paul

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

Lamar,

You are a credit to the hobby, and especially to us Buick folk. 

Thank you and Rita again for our all to short visit at your home, and especially for your efforts here on our FORUM.

Thank you for your commitment and doing an excellent job for all those years Lamar. You definitely earned the moderator pay rate! :P 

You set an example of consistently good ethics and morals which can be challenging on a public car forum. 

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2019 at 3:33 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

Thanks for all your hard work.  I fully understand that family and the actually hobby need to come before the online version.  

Thanks Yung Mi. As you know I have a lot to maintain here at Buick Gardens not to mention the cars and trying to finish the BS&S, get the Argosy ready for the road etc etc and it seems I am always in an anxious mode of "never arriving and always "just getting there".  I am sure I will still be checking in and posting, could never go cold turkey on that. :)

On 3/11/2019 at 3:42 PM, 91vert said:

You will be greatly missed.

Life goes on and you have to do what is more important to you at this time.

Thanks for your fair and honest work.

Now go out and enjoy your retirement.

Cal.

Thanks Cal

On 3/11/2019 at 3:47 PM, BUICK RACER said:

Lamar, thanks for the great job and hope to see you and Rita in OK! Love, to all!

Thanks Roberta and thanks for working with me and being my mentor years ago when I first joined you with the moderating duties.Seems like only yesterday.  :)

On 3/11/2019 at 3:47 PM, 1937-44 said:

Sorry to hear you are resigning as moderator. In my opinion you have been very fair and tolerant of some difficult and challenging discussions. You will be difficult to replace but understand the decision to leave. Honestly you lasted about ten years or so more than I would have been able to.  :)   

There is more to life than this forum and I wish you and your wife countless years of fun together traveling. If you make it up this direction I have a spot for you and your Airstream. Enjoy your cars and life.

Carl

Thanks Carl, appreciate that. :)

On 3/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, C Carl said:

Effin ya stop in here from time to time, it will lessen the separation anxiety I am sure everyone of us will feel. Thank you for everything you have done for AACA. Safe, comfortable, adventurous travels for you and Rita !!      Hoping to see you somewhere on the road,     -    Cadillac Carl 

Thanks for the well wishes Cadillac Carl! :)

On 3/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Lamar you will always have friends here and everywhere you go where there are old Buicks. We are all better because of your guidance over the years, myself included. Thank you for all you've done. I'll look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thanks for the kind words, mean a lot coming from such a gentleman as you. One of my first memories from coming on here was of following your '41 Century project. Stiiilllllll following it .... :D

On 3/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, DShip said:

Wow Lamar, 10 years is true dedication!  Now, get out there and enjoy your Buick Sales and Service Garage, you and Rita's retirements, and travel with the Air Stream.  Many thanks for all you've done as an AACA Forum Moderator. 

Thanks my friend. :)

On 3/11/2019 at 4:29 PM, old-tank said:

Thanks, buddy!

Jeeze and he still calls me buddy, even considering how many edits I've made of his "the devil made me do it" posts. Must be true friendship.   One of the first members I met. Plano 2004 I think it was, right before the sideways blowing rain if I recall.  :)

On 3/11/2019 at 5:12 PM, RivNut said:

Thanks for everything.  Hopefully you'll be posting pictures of the work on your cars, the Sales and Service Garage, and your travels.  

Thanks Ed, and tha's a for sure on the pictures  :)

On 3/11/2019 at 7:55 PM, JohnD1956 said:

What the?  New Airstream?  What happened to the Shasta?  

But seriously, you did a great job here, and with your other online involvements,  and hope you will come back to post when you can.  Take lots of pictures of your travels...and post a few if you think of us.  You will be missed!  

It was never a Shasta after I decided not to go with the '54 Roadmaster as a tow vehicle. The '79 Estate wagon with the 10,000 lb Class V hitch you gave me should be up to pulling the  74 Airstream Argosy. 

And thanks for the thanks JD  :)

IMG_0634.JPG

On Buick Pond

IMG_0518.JPG

On 3/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, Brad Conley said:

Lamar, as I posted elsewhere, you have done an excellent job in the position.  You should be proud of your accomplishments.  I completely understand the position of "Mod" and can say, you set the standard for others to follow.  Enjoy your new-found freedom, live life to the fullest, and HAVE FUN!  Let the troublemakers slide off your shoulders and they will bury themselves.  I've seen it time and time again.

Take care, my friend.

Thanks for the kind comments Brad. I understand where you're coming from. Honestly though I have never really considered anybody here as a "trouble maker". Just rebels for their own cause sometimes who have a sometimes crazy way of trying to make their point. But I respect them and their opinions and stands and can only hope that I have not estranged their friendships with any actions I may have taken.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, Fred Zwicker said:

Lamar,    You have 100% of my understanding and support.  I have been in a similar position with our business for almost fifty years, finally handing over all of the responsibilities to our son, so that my wife and I can spend time never previously available to us in past years.  I still often come to work in an advisory capacity, but not on a regular schedule, and most of the time at work I spend tinkering with some of my antique cars (currently doing a restoration of the 1953 Skylark).  At first I regretted my decision, but little by little realized that there was finally a time to let go and enjoy life accordingly.  You have paid your dues with all of us Buick lovers and deserve some time to yourself.

Best regards and good Buicking in the future,   Fred & Nancy

Fred, thanks for the kind words my friend. Must say you are one of the most sincerest and generous "automotive business big wheels" (for lack of better way of saying it)  I have ever met. It is no wonder TPTools is such a success. Looking forward to visiting. Do ya think there might be room in TPTools parking lot for an overnight stay in the Argosy?  :D

More responses to come but must get back to this fun little project before tomorrow’s rain 

2725EF38-BBCF-4661-A66B-6CFF1CCCDB4D.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1