Buicknutty

Our new 1955 Special

Thank you for the tip, I am wondering the same thing. I will check the part numbers, and I have a spare set of bearings as well.

I didn't have a camera, so I didn't take any pictures, but I have never seen bearings put in like this before!

Keith

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Well, I got it sorted out. I had a nice long reply written for it a few days ago, but our internet system went down and I lost it all!

The drum was correct for the car, that's what I get for working when I'm getting tired! Its' machined about .040 over, and the book says the max is .060, so it is good to live again!

I took some very careful measurements of the spindle and determined that enough of a burr had been created at the point where the threaded part ends to stop the inner race from going on properly. Then some extremely careful filing with a small fine diamond file, to remove the burr, and the couple of slight raised bits where it looks like someone used vise grips on the shaft, and then the inner race fits smoothly and cleanly on again.

Then cleaning, a new grease seal, and reassembly, this time with leading and trailing shoes on in the right place and the bearings adjusted properly.

This was a good first lesson in drum brakes for my son! He did take a year of auto shop in school, but they only covered discs, and he couldn't believe how more complicated drums are!

So, I am going to let him do the other side, with some supervision from me, of course!

Keith

• Like 4

Only do one side at a time, so you can check your reassembly is correct...  Or, take a cell phone picture.

24 minutes ago, Fr. Buick said:

Or, take a cell phone picture.

That's what the guy who did it before needed to do, lol!!!

We have a shop manual, and we do reference it.

Thanks.

Keith

• Haha 1

So it's been a few weeks since I've updated this. I have been working away on it, but also have been distracted by other things.

I got the left rocker panel and wheel well finished and primed, and then some black as a guide coat on the outside. I did have some trouble with fish eye on the black top coat. These are paints I've used before, without problems, and all was cleaned well before painting. Fortunately this isn't the final paint by any means, as I am to have to take the doors off it to do the finishing.

So I started on the right side, and at the moment I only plan to do the wheel well area, as I want to put the rear axle back in, and this work is much easier to do with it still out.

LeftInner.jpg

Left1.jpg

RightInner3.jpg

Rightinner2.jpg

RightInner1.jpg

Right1.jpg

• Like 5

Well folks, with the body work completed for the time being, we started putting the rear axle back in and hooking everything back up. As anyone who has done this before knows, it is quite a job, but everything went back in pretty good.

Just to say, the right side rocker still needs work, but I'm not doing it at the moment. Got to save something to do in the Fall!

Tonight back at it, hooked up the coolant lines, put the fuel line back in, and started it up! This is the first time since about Feb it has been running. Ran good enough, I mean it has a dead cylinder and is rough when cold, but smooths out amazingly well when warm. Oil pressure is excellent, and charging strong too.

We had it running about 20 mins or so, and I just put in all the gears, but didn't pull it out of the garage. A few cars were in the way, but they will be moved tomorrow, and we'll double check everything, then put the flywheel cover on and take it for a little cruise. I do mean little, as it isn't yet licensed for the road, but we have a long circle driveway which will give us a max of .15 miles going around the long way.

The only fly in this ointment is that there seemed to be a bit of wobble on the ring gear, which I've never noticed, but then again I never have looked at it running with the cover off. So it looks like it might be warped, and the starter has always had bit of an uneven sound when cranking. So perhaps I've discovered another issue from previous bad service. I never checked it for being true when it was out.

Either way, it is coming off of the lift for now, as a few other cars are needed attention on the lift.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 5

That runout could mess up your Dynaflow.  Get it measured, per the shop manual in the engine section.

2 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

That runout could mess up your Dynaflow.  Get it measured, per the shop manual in the engine section.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about. I have the tools needed to measure it, so that's fine, didn't even think to check it when it was out though.

Keith