35cz8

1930 Dodge Marathon Car pictures wanted

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2019 at 10:56 PM, 35cz8 said:

There was only the one actual Marathon Car and as can be seen in the photo - the differences are very clear.  No side mount spares and a different paint pattern.... 

Hate to be a big skeptic of this interesting thread, but take a close look at the photos of the "real" marathon car at various mileages.  Let's examine the graphics on the passenger side of the "real" car with 25,000 miles. Now look at 65K miles and 75K miles. All the same , right? 

Now , look at the graphics on the "real" car at 50,000 miles. Not only are the graphics not the same, but in the 50K picture, there is a white painted stripe around the windshield. There is also a white "trim" at the bottom of each of the side windows on the 50K picture which disappears in the other photos. So I am going to say "quack" on "only one real marathon car." (Sidemounts are present in all the "real" car pics, so this isn't a picture of a "dealer's" car.)

Dodge 5 b.jpg

Dodge 8 Marathon Car at 25K miles Pass Side_KnoxvilleCityHall.jpg

Dodge 8 Marathon Car at 65K miles Pass Side.jpg

Dodge 8 Marathon Car at 75K miles Pass Side.jpg

Dodge 8 Marathon Car at 50K miles Pass Side lettering changed and white stripe around windshield and bottom of side windows.jpg

Edited by idrjoe_sandiego
correction on photo caption (see edit history)

Hello Joe,

In your above post, the top picture is a dealership test drive car and all the rest are of the real Marathon Car. The bottom image was taken on a very sunny bright day in front of the replica of the Greek Parthenon in Nashville, Tennessee. The car was very dirty at the time of the photograph and even a blind idiot can tell that the picture was touched up to make it useful for publication. There WAS ONLY ONE ..Dodge Brothers Eight Marathon Car on the road, Dodge Brothers Corporation would not be stupid enough to jeopardize a event that cost them over $250,000.00 dollars. The graphics on the real Marathon Car always stay the same, only the side mount cover graphics chance to reflect the current mileage. I have been studying the Dodge Brothers Mileage Marathon for as long as Bob has and there is no question that there was only one MARATHON CAR on the road.     

Interesting that they brushed out the text below the DODGE 8.

4 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Interesting that they brushed out the text below the DODGE 8.

Spinney,  I don't think it was brushed out, I think it was covered in dirt and mud and they had not washed the car when it arrived.  This car went through some really nasty road and weather conditions and I am sure that it spent many miles covered in dust, dirt and mud.  As I look close at the photo, I can just make out that the text is there but you have to really look close to see it.  I am going to say that David H is right and that it is just really dirty.  I have been studying and researching this car and the marathon run for many years and there was only one Marathon Dodge on the road.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes, I did see the ghost of the text below "DODGE 8", which has clearly been enhanced. I couldn't imagine a car that dirty! I never indicated they had more than one marathon car.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Dave, on behalf of all the blind idiots of the world, we’ll give you 10% credit for your suggestion that the lying media, for appearance sake, “doctored” the image of the one and only “real” marathon car.  Next, you'll be saying there is only one Santa Claus.

Why 10% credit?

After closer scrutiny, there may be a faint ghost image of the original graphics seen below Dodge 8. Or maybe it’s just my imagination. Photoshop does go way back; then they called it “Photo Retouching.”

Now on to the other 90% of the argument…

1) Why do practically all the other pictures depict a very "dirty" Marathon car?  

2) Why take the time to Photoshop the image to make the car look "cleaner"? 

3) Doesn’t it make more sense to keep the car appear like it has been ridden hard and put away wet?

4) Why bother with photo-doctoring when a CAR WASH would take one-fourth the time?

5) If they wanted to “clean-up” the car, why bother adding in pinstripes that the “real” car didn’t have?

6) Why would Dodge approve of a “doctored” photo if it might hint at the possibility that more than ONE “real” marathon car exists?

Dave, we welcome your scholarly and insightful answers the above questions. Chop-chop! It is not nice to keep a blind idiot waiting.

8 hours ago, idrjoe_sandiego said:

4) Why bother with photo-doctoring when a CAR WASH would take one-fourth the time?

Did they have "car washes" in 1930? Manual only, I suspect.

Posted (edited)

They sure rewrote the spare wheel covers a number of times, with different text and style at different times.

Wouldn't it be interesting if they replaced the cover each time and one of them turned up this week?

4 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

They sure rewrote the spare wheel covers a number of times, with different text and style at different times.

Wouldn't it be interesting if they replaced the cover each time and one of them turned up this week?

yes! even more if one of them turned up this week at a car wash :)

• Haha 1

Hello Bob,

I am still keeping an eye out for the Dodge Eight Marathon Car, it might still be on the road. By now if it were, it would have around 9,000,000 miles on the odometer!

Take a look on the DBC website in the production papers listed in the garage section. In the 1930 papers there is several letters to dealers about the marathon car.

5 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Take a look on the DBC website in the production papers listed in the garage section. In the 1930 papers there is several letters to dealers about the marathon car.

There is a LOT of great information there and I have saved it all and am in the process of going through it all to find new things.  I have found a lot so far. Thanks for the info and your hard work.

• Like 1

I am still wading through the production papers. Tonight I came across an ad for the Dodge Brothers Motoring magazine, 1930. It was printed for owners. Have you heard of it, 35cz8? Might have marathon info in it? Ebay for old copies?

Posted (edited)

Here is a interesting view of the Dodge Brothers DC-8 Marathon Car that you don't normally see to often. This image was taken at the start of the marathon at Dodge Main on July 1st 1930. According to the newspaper accounts, Billy Arnold (winner of the 1930 Indy 500) drove the Marathon Car from Dodge Main to the Detroit City limits and then Lou Miller took over from there and drove most of first transcontinental trip except for when Harry Reynolds the relief driver would spell him off. I think it was really neat that the Marathon Car had graphics on the roof also.

The Roof of the Marathon Car (800x529).jpg

Edited by dc-8dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Very cool view and a different look at the Marathon Car. Thanks David.

Bob

This is a very interesting picture.

Is that a military band celebrating the ribbon cutting and sending them off?

A bunch of guys standing on the loading dock and steel drums.

Also, do you suppose that is an early camera boom?

Pretty big deal.

Of coarse Keisers car lurking in the back ground. I think that's him on the running board.

• Haha 1

Hello Jack,

I can't comment on the band because there is no mention of them in the newspaper reports but there was no less then four movie cameras filming this event so yes that was a sound boom. Attached you will see the picture that I cropped the earlier image from. Sorry to burst your bubble but that coupe in the back ground couldn't be a DH coupe since the DH didn't go into production until November 19th 1930. It might have been Keiser though or his younger brother. 

Image (7) - Copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that David. They certainly made a Big Day out of it with plenty of razamataz. Who are the people in the insets?

Posted (edited)

I think you'all may need glasses .LOL. The DODGE 8 was the photo shopped on . You can see it clean and has no line vertically through the second D of Dodge at door seam . :lol:

Edited by ArticiferTom
imog (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

I think you'all may need glasses .LOL. The DODGE 8 was the photo shopped on . You can see it clean and has no line vertically through the second D of Dodge at door seam . :lol:

Hello Tom,

Would you mind explaining your comment? This above 8" X 10" photo came from the Chrysler Historical Collection in the 1970's.

No, no No  …  Do not mean you did, I am talking look at fifth pic down . You all were talking about trying to read dirty car door . I think the photo had the white Dodge 8 added in over top to highlight it . And in fact every thing is covered in lots of drive dirt .

Did not mean to offend, as I see no seam gap of door , as in pics above . Maybe my eyes are bad !

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

No, no No  …  Do not mean you did, I am talking look at fifth pic down . You all were talking about trying to read dirty car door . I think the photo had the white Dodge 8 added in over top to highlight it . And in fact every thing is covered in lots of drive dirt .

Did not mean to offend, as I see no seam gap of door , as in pics above . Maybe my eyes are bad !

The image that you are speaking of was taken on a very sunny bright day in front of the replica of the Greek Parthenon in Nashville, Tennessee. The car was very dirty at the time of the photograph mainly because the Marathon Car was on a very tight schedule and I would imagine that they were to meet the other cars in the picture and the photographer at a set time. The pictures were taken by a local professional photographer and then posted to Dodge Brothers Publicity Department in Detroit where it was found that they couldn't read the side of the car so in order to save the shot and the expense of the pictures they touched them up so they could be used in ads. That image was never used in a very large form because I am sure they weren't pleased with the outcome of the photograph. I wished you would have made a mention of which picture you were referring to before I blew my cork.

Poster 2 001.jpg

• Like 2

That's exactly what I was talking about . As it was being discussed if it was same car ,as wording below could barely be seen by some and not at all by others .

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 2:07 PM, Spinneyhill said:

Thanks for that David. They certainly made a Big Day out of it with plenty of razamataz. Who are the people in the insets?

Hello Graham,

In the oval at the top left is Ray Priest on the left and Lou Miller on the right, the fellow in the middle I really don't know but my guess would be a representative from the AAA.  In the rectangle inset in the bottom right corner is Lou Miller on the left and Walter P. Chrysler on the right, I have no idea who the women are.  

Hi Dave, I saw a few years back, a photo of a celebration picnic in a park, near the Hamtramck plant, and I seem to remember that the Dodge Company had their own band....could that be the band in the photo?