35cz8

1930 Dodge Marathon Car pictures wanted

Looking for original photos of the 1930 Dodge Marathon Car.  Need for a research project I am working on. Any help is appreciated

• Like 2

I am currently scanning literature at the AACA library which will be released on the DBC website in a few weeks. I do remember some pictures of it in letters from DB to the dealers. 

Thanks for this information Near, I will be waiting to see what they have.  I appreciate the response to my needs.

Hello 35cz8,

I have some I'll share with you.

• Like 1

Great Dave,   Which photos do you have?  I have some already so looking for different pics to help track the travels of the Marathon Car and to confirm it was in those locations.

• Like 1

Hello 35cz8,

Here is an image that I purchased some time back on E-fee. It was taken in New York state but the date and the town still eludes me. If you want a bigger image just e-mail me for I am more then happy to help out.

Somewhere in NY.jpg

• Like 2

Hi David and Bob,

Forgive me as I may be pointing out the obvious here, but I think one clue would be, if either of you have any information that shows a listing for Dodge Brothers service stations for the NY area during this time frame, it may shed some light on the location. The sign hanging on the right of the photo assures us it is an approved service station and should be on a list somewhere (one would think..).  I'll try and search through what I have to see if I may have an answer.

I do not have any of that kind of information but if a guy could find such a list, it would certainly be of great help.  Great idea and now, something more to hunt for LOL.

Hello Bob,

Here is another picture you my not have.

E-bay Pic 2.jpg

• Like 1

Are there any maps of where the car went? I have a feeling I have seen something, but maybe it was not that detailed.

Great Photo Dave and thank you for sharing it with me.  I don't think I have this one but will check my pictures and see.  Spinny,  There are a couple of photos, that I have seen, but not much detail in the photos - just rough road map is all I have seen.  I am trying to find as many pictures as I can of the car so I can try to put a bit better map of it's travels together and with each photo, I look for new hints of where it was taken and try to figure the trip it was on.  It is quite a project, but a fun one and when I find a picture I don't have, it sure is fun to examine and research.    Still looking but not a lot out there to be found I guess LOL.

Thanks for the interest and the help.

Bob

• Like 1

Hey Bob,

Not sure if you have this photo yet but it was labeled Knoxville TN 1930

Also found various newspaper clippings on digital libraries,  I'd recommend any researcher take advantage of those avenues of information if you're not already as most of the digital libraries are free to use. As an example I found  articles that stated the Marathon car would be in Calexico CA on March 26th 1930 and another article saying it was in Atlanta on Sept 14th 1930. Are you looking for clues like these or just photos ?

I also came across a dealer "George K Littlefield" who boasted of having a map up on display showing the route so folks could follow along daily. I would think there would have to be some sort of record of that map or a photo of the map somewhere.

I would be happy forwarding what I come across to your email but the problem  is knowing what you need or do not have so we don't waste your time with sending duplicates of anything. If you'd like, I'll continue to search through digital databases and send what I find.

Let me know if you want me to continue to search for clues or if you're only interested in photos.

Dave

Knoxville TN.jpg

Good sleuthing Dave.

Dave (30DodgePanel}   I have a photo that is very close to the one you show here but it has some differences.  I would love to have a full size copy of it for sure.  I don't consider getting any information or photos (even if I have it already) as a waste of time because I love the search and research on this car and it's travels.  Please feel free to send any and all information you find and are willing to share.  I know that many of the dealerships would post a map of the travels in their showrooms for people to see and I even found one photo showing a map of the trips that was on a trailer that was quite large and (I assume) used for parades and such.  I do use one old newspaper website looking for any articles from the 1930 / 1931 time frame about the car.  I really enjoy seeing original photos and reading original articles from the people that were actually there and witnessed the event.  I really appreciate any and all information I can get.  Feel free to send anything and everything you want.   Please let me know if I can be of any help to you.  Thanks again.

Bob

David (DC-8dave)  I have a cropped image of the first photo (the one of the car by the gas station in NY) but not a full size copy of it.  I have look through my photos and do not find the one of the lady sitting behind the wheel of the car.  I did have a computer crash several months ago so I may have had a digital copy at that time but lost when I had to replace my computer.  I would love to have full size scans of both if you would.  Hope you are doing ok there. Thanks for all your help.

Bob

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2019 at 11:51 PM, 35cz8 said:

Looking for original photos of the 1930 Dodge Marathon Car.  Need for a research project I am working on. Any help is appreciated

Bob, 

check out the DBC website under the Garage section for photos. Doug W. recently scanned quite a few items and there are a few things relating to the MC that you may want to see.

What a grueling trek driving this car must have been. Wore me out just reading it....

Good luck in your search

Dave

DB Pics 2.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I too have had an interest in clearly defining the complete route taken by the 1930 Dodge Marathon Car.  Here are some pictures I've collected over the years.

289 Days 83000 miles.jpg

1930 Dodge 8 Marathon.jpg

83509-500-0.jpg

1735740472_E-bayPic2.thumb.jpg.8fe6d1f0ac3642a1e794485df943c550.jpg

Akron Ohio.jpg

c7956.jpg

Dodge DC-8 in Madison WI 19300813.jpg

Dodge Mileage Marathon Car-Ohio Co land Office Marietta OH.jpg

Great Stone Mountain Georgia.jpg

In San Diego.jpg

Knoxville City Hall.jpg

Marathon.jpg

Marathon3.jpg

Marathon4.jpg

Marathon5.jpg

Marathon6.jpg

Marathon7.jpg

Near Rio Grande.jpg

New York 65000mi.jpg

OswegoNY2.jpg

post-115289-0-91581000-1454441430.jpg

Really Dirty.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 9:18 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Dave, I am still looking through all the 1930 information scanned and have found quite a bit that is very helpful in my research.  Thanks for the heads up on this. 

Bob

On 5/3/2019 at 9:18 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Bob, 

check out the DBC website under the Garage section for photos. Doug W. recently scanned quite a few items and there are a few things relating to the MC that you may want to see.

What a grueling trek driving this car must have been. Wore me out just reading it....

Good luck in your search

Dave

DB Pics 2.jpg

On 5/3/2019 at 11:57 AM, HBergh said:

WOW, you have some really great photographs.  Would love to see the full size photos and have them in my collection for sure.  

Bob

I too have had an interest in clearly defining the complete route taken by the 1930 Dodge Marathon Car.  Here are some pictures I've collected over the years.

289 Days 83000 miles.jpg

1930 Dodge 8 Marathon.jpg

83509-500-0.jpg

1735740472_E-bayPic2.thumb.jpg.8fe6d1f0ac3642a1e794485df943c550.jpg

Akron Ohio.jpg

c7956.jpg

Dodge DC-8 in Madison WI 19300813.jpg

Dodge Mileage Marathon Car-Ohio Co land Office Marietta OH.jpg

Great Stone Mountain Georgia.jpg

In San Diego.jpg

Knoxville City Hall.jpg

Marathon.jpg

Marathon3.jpg

Marathon4.jpg

Marathon5.jpg

Marathon6.jpg

Marathon7.jpg

Near Rio Grande.jpg

New York 65000mi.jpg

OswegoNY2.jpg

post-115289-0-91581000-1454441430.jpg

Really Dirty.jpg

Posted (edited)

Here is one of the documents recently scanned and posted on the DBC web site by @nearchoclatetown.

http://www.dodgebrothersclub.org/pictures/Documents/1930 DBC Papers_0020 (add .jpg to this to get the picture).

image.thumb.png.ef7f53a343540e2b589c0e9a07e16b59.png

So not only are there photographs of the car itself to find, there are other sign-written cars promoting the Marathon. Any photos of them anyone?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

I knew there was something in that stash on the Marathon car but  hadn't read it.  Holy crap there could be skatey eight of them out there according to this letter. If every dealer had one painted exactly alike how do you know the real one? 

3 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

I think I may have a picture of one of these copy cars that was used in a parade.  I will have to go back and look to see if I still have it or if it is one of the pictures I lost when my computer crashed and I had to replace it.  T don't think they copy cars were exactly like the original and many pictures also have the drivers and/or Ray priest of the AAA so those would be the real deal car for sure.  Anyone have any full size pics they would share?  This has turned into a project much bigger than I thought it would be but certainly one that I want to try and complete.

Bob

Here is one of the documents recently scanned and posted on the DBC web site by @nearchoclatetown.

http://www.dodgebrothersclub.org/pictures/Documents/1930 DBC Papers_0020 (add .jpg to this to get the picture).

image.thumb.png.ef7f53a343540e2b589c0e9a07e16b59.png

So not only are there photographs of the car itself to find, there are other sign-written cars promoting the Marathon. Any photos of them anyone?

10 hours ago, 35cz8 said:

This has turned into a project much bigger than I thought it would be but certainly one that I want to try and complete.

Good on you !!

Fun stuff to watch.

Anyone have any Marathon Car photos they want to sell?   High resolution scans work too for my use.