FREE: 1800's Studebaker Conestoga style wagon-needs assembly

Friends of mine near me here in southern Oregon have a Conestoga-style wagon which they believe to be a Studebaker. I have no idea how to tell if it is. As you can see, the hardware is there, but the wood is mostly gone or rotted. They hate to see it go further into the ground and want to give it to someone who can come and get it. Here it is. Maybe it would remain as yard art to the next owner. If it could only talk....

Picture 28009.jpg

Picture 28010.jpg

Picture 28011.jpg

Picture 28012.jpg

Picture 28013.jpg

Picture 28014.jpg

Picture 28015.jpg

Picture 28016.jpg

Picture 28017.jpg

Picture 28018.jpg

Picture 28019.jpg

Picture 28020.jpg

Picture 28021.jpg

Picture 28022.jpg

Picture 28023.jpg

• Like 3

Wood and I don't get along.

If they put me in prison, gave me the tools and the materials and said build this bird house and make it square. Then we'll set you free.

I'm afraid I'd be an old man with a long gray beard before I got out.

• Haha 5

Truly, I wish I could bring that to the Amish craftsman who replaced the leather interior in my 23 Hupmobile touring car. He restores lots of wooden carriages for Amish folks, which are put back to work on the roads and pathways of southern Ohio. Even hearses. He could bring this thing back, and do it right. 

20170214_174026.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone know when it became fashionable or acceptable to let a horse drawn vehicle rot away on your lawn, but letting an automobile do the same gets the Blight Commission on your tail? That wagon has a lot of metal work that I never knew they had. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks to have most, if not all , of the original iron. The wood can be replaced but missing iron parts are harder. Looks like it could be a good project for the right guy, albeit expensive! Looks to have been 2 hp., maybe it could be beefed up to 4! You don't see many of these anymore!

I have no idea if its a Studebaker or not but there is indeed a lot to work with there. Plenty of surviving wood for patterns and

and what appears to be most of the iron which is the most important.

Earlier this year the Building Trades and Farm Mechanic's students at our local high school CTE center did a similar project for

a set of heavy logging sleds for the Maine Forest & Logging museum.

If you have no takers and have such a program near you maybe that could be an option. I know we always looking for

interesting live work projects that engage our students and provide opportunities for practical application of the skills

they are learning in our programs.

It would be a shame for this piece to go to ground.

Best regards,

Terry

DSC_0085.thumb.JPG.c7fcbd49abab918510d89dd1b28aaa52.JPG

IMG_0347.thumb.JPG.54f266ea1c569f1b12d9fbbc97c06857.JPGDSC_1420.thumb.JPG.d8ea1f018d154666eab31818855bb045.JPGDSC_1119.thumb.JPG.c04ce87e6f5ca19acd55d2329f46f9e6.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Other than the wheels that would be a fairly straight forward project. There are some Amish and other wheelwrights still plying their craft but I suspect the wheels would be pricy. Can't tell from the pix the type of wood, whether soft or hard wood, but whatever it would be readily available, although if it's ash it looks like that wood is going the way of chestnut and will soon be near extinct.

A number of years ago a young couple and their kids passed through here in a Conestoga type wagon. I forget their reasons but they were traveling and living in a team drawn wagon. They needed it to be pushed across a section of field and a bunch of us heaved, pushed, and pulled the damn thing a couple of hundred feet over soft ground.

The two things I remember were the weight of the wagon and the way it smelled. ..................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
22 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Wood and I don't get along.

If they put me in prison, gave me the tools and the materials and said build this bird house and make it square. Then we'll set you free.

I'm afraid I'd be an old man with a long gray beard before I got out.

I am so glad to read this as I fit into this club too.  It’s the stuff like 2”x4” isn’t really 2”x4” and nails based on some penny designation that adds to the confusion.  Can you imagine saying “get me a 1/2” open end wrench” and really what you want is 13/32nds because 1/2” nuts aren’t really 1/2”?  Crosscut , ripsaw, bandsaw without any band playing, yes this is the stuff of confusion.  And what’s up with those funny looking flat pencils?  How can you keep it from falling out from behind your ear!  Don’t even get me started on plumbing!

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, TerryB said:

I am so glad to read this as I fit into this club too.  It’s the stuff like 2”x4” isn’t really 2”x4” and nails based on some penny designation that adds to the confusion.  Can you imagine saying “get me a 1/2” open end wrench” and really what you want is 13/32nds because 1/2” nuts aren’t really 1/2”?  Crosscut , ripsaw, bandsaw without any band playing, yes this is the stuff of confusion.  And what’s up with those funny looking flat pencils?  How can you keep it from falling out from behind your ear!  Don’t even get me started on plumbing!

If it makes a difference for you, on that wagon a 2x4 would in face be 2x4.... now, find someone to sell you a 2x4 that is 2x4!

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Wood is like an exotic girl friend. Beautiful to look at, a joy to play with, but you never REALLY know what it will do or how it all will end....................Bob

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Wood is like an exotic girl friend. Beautiful to look at, a joy to play with, but you never REALLY know what it will do or how it all will end....................Bob

The same way it ends when my wife finds me with my exotic girlfriend......... I'm covered in cuts, bruises and abrasions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
40 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

PUT IT ON EBAY FOR 1.00

you will get it to a good owner.

I completely agree with this. Someone will want it, will come remove it, and will pay something for it. 

This is is a prime candidate for a no reserve auction. The person that goes to all that effort will likely actually save the thing. If I picked it up for free the deterioration would simply be completed at a new location. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, gossp said:

I completely agree with this. Someone will want it, will come remove it, and will pay something for it. 

This is is a prime candidate for a no reserve auction. The person that goes to all that effort will likely actually save the thing. If I picked it up for free the deterioration would simply be completed at a new location. 

I know what you mean....I would never be able to put the time aside to restore the wagon.

40 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I have been looking all around for a wagon club and came across the Covered Wagon Club, but there does not seem to be anyone answering my email.

I've got a picture in my mind of them all in a circle, and the picture is very grim. 

John, if not for adverse circumstances, I would have been pulling up at your house today to load up my "Antique" '91 Chev' 3500HD enclosed 14' box. MAN do I have a cool idea someone else might be able to use. Anyway, just after crossing back into Washington, at Battleground, I would drop the wheels off with Tom Deseret, our friendly local (to the Northwest), weelwright. And then proceed home to do something very artistique.

Here's how I would use it. First, regard the pics taken North, South, and  West from my high gate out at the ranch. Plan to set up about 75 to 100 feet inside the gate. Well suited for admirers to linger unobtrusively in the turnaround across the road. Now I would do a substantial long term preservation using the most potent rot-stop for the wood, and thoroughly coat the iron with primer. Inconspicuously sister the timbers for structural integrity, and similarly Inconspicuously, block it up to take the load off the now complete, but heavily patinated (is that a word ?), wheels Tom would have done. DEFINITELY keep the well-aged aspect of the beautiful beast. Because, speaking a little "Beast" here  : John, your cartoon lit off a brainstorm which tempts me to gas up and head South. Dead hoss  ? How about the re-assembled skeletal remains of a brace of 'em in harness,  posed before the "cart".                  Almost skeletal myself these days,    -   CC              

70934B9D-CA2A-410F-B18C-5A5CB2A3D125.jpeg

E55A8EEE-837B-482C-A115-3999A28C4A9C.jpeg

FD3B2302-95D6-452F-B03C-350651E72326.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Expansion and clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 1