Bob H

Damaged 1990 Reatta Convertible at Auction

Found a nice 1990 parts convertible at a COPART auction in Sikeston, Missouri but it is just too far for me to go from Rainier, Oregon.  Select 60 with only 12K miles. Blown airbag but it is probably repairable. Opportunity for someone closer. Bob H

Copart can arrange transportation. Make sure it has a clean title though unless where you live it does not matter.

Same vin number car was listed for sale a while ago  stating 4,000 miles and asking $40,000.00.  At that time car was in Schaumburg Il. 

looking over the old add when it was for sale this had all select sixty documentation and the select sixty hood badge, will be interesting to see what it sells for  

I used to buy a lot of cars at Copart.

Some locations they sell to the public and some locations are dealer only.

Can someone verify the vin number...........I probably have the car listed but one of the things the database might do in the future is tell about cars that were wrecked..........then repaired and that damage not disclosed.

Barney :10a052b5-0109-4671-8d4e-47bf132fd09e.JPG

VIN 1G4EC33C1LB90467  

there are 3 other reatta s on copart  

VIN 1G4EC13C0LB903147

VIN 1G4EC13L1MB900873

VIN 1G4EC13C3LB903210

I copied the add when it was for sale a few years ago  

1990 Buick Reatta Select 60 Convertible on 2040-cars

US $40,000.00

001.jpg

I am making an effort to buy this car on Copart. Hoping it can be saved. I just hope this post doesn't end up like that Select 60 in Houston several years ago. A bunch of tire kickers driving the price up with pure speculation. 

The car has a salvage title, so that affects the value a but it still looks repairable. 

8 hours ago, Jim said:

I used to buy a lot of cars at Copart.

Some locations they sell to the public and some locations are dealer only.

And some do both like my local one here in Lexington, KY.  Certain lots are dealer only while others are not.  As an insurance adjuster, I send cars there weekly, but I can’t figure out how they sort them (or why some cars are expensive while others aren’t).

I am near positive  this was Pat Hannah''s car - if so, it's a massive shame, the car was beyond beautiful when he had it.  

I do think I will bid  

looking for opinions here    

I am thinking salvage title even if car was returned to mint condition  the title would reduce price by about $4,000.00  maybe more considering what type of buyers would be looking at this.   Just my thought is the car jumped a high curb  at a medium speed 30-40 mph since both tires are blown but little damage to the bumper . I do see a fluid leak that is not coolant  maybe transmission or steering rack.  the unknown is suspension parts and engine carriage.    Hardest part to find I think will be a flame red air bag  red may be suitable but will never match well.

this does answer one question about 30 year old air bags working  THEY DO

My thoughts are that I would use this as a parts car for my 90K mile select sixty  a lot of good parts I could use to prefect mine.  

so any thoughts.  I know we all want to see as many of these cars remain on road and thought of using a 12K mile car for parts may not be favorable to many.  

Please jump in will all your thoughts

I don’t think a salvage title would matter to a buyer looking for this car in the future, especially with proper documentation.   If there were a lot full of them, then sure.  The older a car is, the less of an issue a branded title becomes.  For example, completely restored cars are obviously rebuilt, but often have clear titles.  The quality of an older car as it sits is what defines it.

Posted (edited)

Surely some people here have a dealer's license...

BTW does this help ?

sel60.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

hard to tell what looking at from the pic  is that the cradle hanging down? 

The ad says undercarriage damage so maybe. My question  is how hard does this car need to be hit to have the airbag deployed? From the pictures it doesn’t look too bad. I’d go for tot if I knew I could fix what’s wrong and had the space for another car. 

The insurance company didn't total a car that nice for the body damage we see in the photos. There must be something badly damaged underneath or they would have paid to have that car repaired.

• Like 1

Just a guess. If it was caused by Engine Cradle Mount failure, Went over curb blowing out the tires and into a bank, see the grass in the front. Insurance Company might have looked it up to repair but since there are no Factory  Engine Cradle replacement parts they would total it.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

The insurance company didn't total a car that nice for the body damage we see in the photos. There must be something badly damaged underneath or they would have paid to have that car repaired.

From a guy who works as an auto adjuster for an insurance company, you never know what customer demands and calculations are done behind the scenes.  For example, the insurance company could have talked themselves into doing a constructive total loss, thinking (correctly or not) that a strong salvage return would make it worthwhile-especially if the insured is agreeable.  You never know.  This is also why some incredible deals can be found at these auctions.  Not all cars are there because of excessive damage.

One of the options at CoPart is to have a local appraiser examine it, think it costs a coupla benjamins.

4 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

the insurance company could have talked themselves into doing a constructive total loss, thinking (correctly or not) that a strong salvage return would make it worthwhile-especially if the insured is agreeable.

Could you elaborate on how that works? Are you saying they paid off the insured hoping to recoup their money at auction?  I've been lucky and not had to deal much with insurance claims and how they are settled. Only a few fender benders and they were taken care of quickly and easily.