pitman

1929 Chevrolet Valve Lash

194--- in-line 6 engine. I need to set up the rack. I know the proper lash for both the intake and exhaust WHEN NOT ------But I wish to set them COLD.  I have read a couple suggestions.  (1) add .002 to both.  (2) add .005 to both. My rockers need a starting point in order to start the engine--- they are totally OFF and I  would appreciate any advice.

I would like to know from someone I can trust as to what settings would work best---and not do damage to my engine. 

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS IN ADVANCE.

Pitman

You might also try  https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/index.php  They are Chevrolet only.  Nice people.

Posted (edited)

Sorry that you are not getting any other advice.  I would  think .002 or .003 over the hot setting would get the engine running.  It would not do any harm and being noisey woouldn't matter until you could get everything sorted out.

Good luck with your engine.

Edited by Tinindian (see edit history)

Thank-you VERY MUCH:  THAT INFO MAKES ME FEEL MUCH BETTER:  I will adjust as you suggest and once HOT  will really adjust them to the correct setting.

Pitman

As stated above, when I adjust the valves on my 1933 Chevrolet Master I add .002 to .003 and adjust them cold and then tweak them in after the engine is hot.  In fact I do the final adjustment with the engine running at slow idle.  That is the way I was taught by an old Chevy guy who owned a 1931 back in the late 60s and that is how I still do it.  The feeler gauge is good for adjusting the valves about two times, LOL.

• Like 1