1929 Chevrolet valve lash

pitman

194--- in-line 6 engine. I need to set up the rack. I know the proper lash for both the intake and exhaust WHEN NOT ------But I wish to set them COLD.  I have read a couple suggestions.  (1) add .002 to both.  (2) add .005 to both.

I would like to know from someone I can trust as to what settings would work best---and not do damage to my engine.

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS IN ADVANCE.

Pitman

Welcome to the AACA forums. Overhead valves are easy to set hot with the engine idling slowly.  Then you know you are getting the most out of your engine, not going to burn valves and have quiet running.  Setting them only requires two wrenches, a screwdriver and a feeler gauge.  Really easy to do, much easier than setting them cold and then having to go all over it again to get them properly.

You will probably get more information if you post this in the Chevrolet section down below or technical up above.

This section is a CCCA forum. From above  Tech Forum Rules

Please limit posts in this forum to discussions about the Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) and the cars recognized by the club as a CCCA Classic.

"What exactly is a CCCA Classic?" The club defines CCCA Classic cars as "...fine or unusual motor cars which were built between and including the years 1925 to 1948. These very special cars are distinguished by their fine design, high engineering standards and superior workmanship."

They were usually quite expensive when new, with relatively low production figures. You won't find your Mom's '72 Plymouth Duster or your Grandfather's Model A Ford in the ranks of CCCA.

We applaud other clubs who do recognize these cars and recognize that owning one can be a lot of fun, but they are not what CCCA is all about. Thanks for your understanding.

Good luck with your Chevrolet and let us see some pictures.

I would set them cold to the recommended clearance then adjust again hot. You aren't going to do any harm. When they say hot you should drive for at least 15 or 20 minutes, not just idle.

Later... I was assuming you just did a valve job or had the rockers off for some reason. In that case you have to set them cold, then do them again hot. But for normal maintenance you would just do them hot.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I would set them cold to the recommended clearance then adjust again hot. You aren't going to do any harm. When they say hot you should drive for at least 15 or 20 minutes, not just idle.

Later... I was assuming you just did a valve job or had the rockers off for some reason. In that case you have to set them cold, then do them again hot. But for normal maintenance you would just do them hot.

Agreed.  By the way, an extra .001 on the loose side is better than burnt valves.