65 Riviera Engine color

crowvet

Hello everyone, I am getting ready to replace the power steering pump on my 65. I would like to repaint the pump and brackets while it is apart. My questions are as follows.

#1 were the brackets black or engine color?

#2  Was the pump black or engine color?

#3 My engine is sort of a light blue color, I see some engines  look green and some look blue. What is the correct color?

Also my pump works fine, just leaking at seals, anyone have luck with just a seal kit?

The brackets are engine color, the pump is painted black. From 1955 till 1965, the nailheads were painted Buick Green

except that the 63 riviera engines were silver. The last nailheads of 66 were painted red. The original paint on my 65's engine

was was more of a blue tint and not as green as all the vendors sell, and not as green as the original paint on earlier Buicks

that I have personally inspected. If you have the original paint on your engine this is why it looks blue to you and not green.

You can't buy paint off the shelf that matches the 65 engine color exactly. When I repainted my engine I went with the Buick Green

that Bill Hirsch sells......it is correct for most years of nailheads, but doesn't match the original paint on any 65 I have seen. It isn't

far off and looks fine, just isn't quite as blue as the original paint. The seal kit should solve your leaking problem. Here are pics of my original

engine paint, and then another pic after it was repainted with Buick Green........you will note the original paint is a little more blue and less green.........

DSC03642.JPG

DSCN0013.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

There are quite a few vendors who sell what they call Buick Green.  Bill Hirsch,  POR15, CARS, and others.  Some will sell you Duplicolor DE1617 which is really Ford Green.  Some guys have used Detroit Diesel Alpine green but it's too light.  There were other Buick Greens, but you want the 53-66 color.  (1966 Rivieras and Skylark series GS engines were painted red)

CARS, and Hirsh sell the paint in quarts as well. POR sells in pints and quarts. Hirsh, and CARS  sell aerosols and quarts.

The pictures below compare the Ford Green, CARS, and Alpine Green. 

20150420_134932-crop.thumb.jpg.6d31867220ee14883cde2ede1388cce2.jpg

20150420_135859-crop.thumb.jpg.3e36c688a1e404268c80aacf80d46ece.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

The brackets are engine color, the pump is painted black. From 1955 till 1965, the nailheads were painted Buick Green

except that the 63 riviera engines were silver. The last nailheads of 66 were painted red. The original paint on my 65's engine

was was more of a blue tint and not as green as all the vendors sell, and not as green as the original paint on earlier Buicks

that I have personally inspected. If you have the original paint on your engine this is why it looks blue to you and not green.

You can't buy paint off the shelf that matches the 65 engine color exactly. When I repainted my engine I went with the Buick Green

that Bill Hirsch sells......it is correct for most years of nailheads, but doesn't match the original paint on any 65 I have seen. It isn't

far off and looks fine, just isn't quite as blue as the original paint. The seal kit should solve your leaking problem. Here are pics of my original

engine paint, and then another pic after it was repainted with Buick Green........you will note the original paint is a little more blue and less green.........

DSC03642.JPG

DSCN0013.JPG

Your engine compartment is gorgeous, what a transformation. Thanks for the comparison