Sea Foam for Carbon Buildup (Results).

Chimera

Took my 66 dual quad Riviera in for a compression test.

First results:

#1 220  #2 185
#3 175  #4 172
#5 165  #6 172
#7 170  #8 172

After running 16oz sea foam motor treatment through:
Cylinder #1 and #2 was retested at around 158 PSI and Cylinder #3 and #4 at around 152 PSI.

Apparently the shop got smoked out pretty good! hehe.

IMG_2280.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 11.36.11 PM.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

7 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Every time I see a picture of your engine I want to fly out to CA and clean up your chrome air cleaner....just sayin`...

Tom

Thats the preserved barn find dust Tom! Some people like that kind of originality. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, PWB said:

Nice.

Did you put the foam directly thrugh the spark plug ports and soak?

I know they let it soak, but I think someone mentioned they put it through the carburetor, but I will double check. I would have take some pictures of the process, yet they told me after it was done that they used it.

2 hours ago, Chimera said:

Thats the preserved barn find dust Tom! Some people like that kind of originality. 

It was cleaner than that when it was original! I told the wife a key element of our retirement plan is to empty the vacuum cleaner bag over the cars for a decade...she`s not crazy about vacuuming....

Tom

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2019 at 6:31 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Every time I see a picture of your engine I want to fly out to CA and clean up your chrome air cleaner....just sayin`...

Tom

OK Tom, 

I took your advice and got out the chrome polish. Now I should get the dust off that back firewall.

deathstar2.jpg

deathstar1.jpg

If I am going to a cruise night I use a paper towel and a spray can of WD-40 to go over all the stuff in the engine compartment. That frequent light coat of oil keeps the bare metal from getting rusty and make plastic and paint look pretty good.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 4:23 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Nice!! Valve covers next, clean then knock the dust off and get rid of the universal top hose. That Super Wildcat deserves the proper formed hose! Ready to go to market?

Tom

Might be ready if I replace hose, clean the fire wall dust along with valve covers, install the NOS hazard lights red eye switch, get a fresh set of redlines and put them on with some bight and shinny 66 one year only turbines?

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 9.56.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 7.25.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 7.28.07 PM.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm going to run some seafoam through my Thunderbird with a non-original mercury 390 2 bbl engine. The engine runs quiet and doesn't smoke at all. The compression numbers look healthy and high, but there's one errant cylinder that's registering wee bit higher than all of the rest, which are about 152 to 166 warm (not hot.) I figured it was probably some carbon deposits in the high cylinder, and reading this thread makes me think that more.

Nice Riviera's.  I love the first and second generations, especially '63-4 and 1970 versions. I would like to own one some day. Personal luxury rules!

• Like 1