Silent drive chain

Don Jr.

Hi, I have the motor out and front timing cover off. I installed the starter and put the chain on. When I rotate the eccentric collar to snug up the chain the band that holds the starter and the wedge blocks behind the starter do not touch the starter! I will try and loosen up the chain and see how the bracket and wedges make contact with the case of the starter. in your description I assume the chain will be slack along the top. With a fan belt i usually can rotate it 1/4 of the way to gain proper tightness. If the chain sags I will put a ruler across the top and measure the sag and report back. Thanks.

The wedge has a bolt going through it if I remember it has a square head on it at the bottom the adjustment will bring the wedge into contact with the S-G and the band will holder it tight to the wedge. Snug is snug if makes noise its to tight readjust and try again

Hi, yes I restored the adjustment blocks and made note of where they were when I reassembled it. When I reinstalled the assembly to the block  they was quite a bit of room  between them and the case of the starter. The band assembly i double checked to make sure i had it installed correctly. The adjustment nut is on top as in many photos I find on the internet.When I have the starter adjusted out to where i think it should be  the band will not wrap around the case properly. That is why I asked about adjustment procedure. When I have it all together and use a straight edge across the top of the drive gear and the top of the starter gear I can deflect the chain down about 1/4 of an inch. If that is a correct adjustment the band and bracket do not come close to the case?? This is causing my confusion! Any thoughts??

Hi, Here is the situation. The car was disassembled almost 40 years ago and put into boxes. I restored the pieces and found out the original engine block had many cracks in the water jacket so the project stalled. I purchased another engine that was used as a buzz saw that ran well but the person I got it from removed the chain and starter/generator and leaded up the hole. He would start it by the hand crank. I found out the motor had very few miles on it so I freshened it up and am installing restored parts on it. So the starter, chain adjusting ring and brackets that hold the starter are from my original engine. The new engine is a 1922 model and did not come with these parts but am told everything is interchangeable. I do not have the front timing cover on so I have full access to the chain. With the chain installed and adjustment ring rotated to allow about 1/4 of an inch sag in the chain between the two gear tops the starter is out away from the block where the band that holds the case is not wrapping around the case without distorting the band and the adjusting blocks do not touch the case by at least 1/2 of an inch and do not think if I crank them in far enough I may not have any adjustment left! Cannot understand what is wrong? I am told I have the bicycle type link chain so that is supposed to be the correct chain. Almost looks like the chain is too long. Could it be the chain is that stretched out to cause this situation? Thanks. Appreciate all this help.

Hi, I understand the slack chain now. Odd  as I have never had an early  Dodge motor to overhaul. I am thinking I might be assembling the adjustment collar wrong. Does the adjustment collar fit in from outside the engine and insert into the hole or does it slide in from the inside of the engine and slide out to the starter? Guess the question would be do I adjust the starter assembly without opening up the front access cover. If that is the case then I am assembling the adjustment collar wrong causing the excess slack.I ordered a locking ring which I did not have and assume after I do the adjustment i lock in the adjustment nut there is a circular gasket I got in the rebuild gasket kit. I would assume it slides over the end of the starter unit if that is correct. And the nut per say has a bevel on one side of it and the other is straight cut across on the other side. Which side would face the starter? I am going out to reverse the adjusting collar the other way to see if the starter comes closer to the block when i take the slack out of the chain. If that works then I have installed it incorrectly! Wow this stumps me to no end!! Thanks.

Hi, O. K. That is how I assembled it. I just went back out to check things and I have the assembly correct. I will put the gasket on as soon as the locking ring arrives. I have just about 1/2 inch deflection in the chain on top so that must be adjusted properly. So I will remove the band clamp tomorrow and flip it upside down  to have the t bolt on the top and the other side with the hole on the bottom.  Maybe rotating the band 180 degrees the band will pull right in without reshaping it. Did see a few motors with the band this way so do not know which way is correct. Thanks to all again for the help.

• Like 1

Hi, I reversed the band (180 degrees) that holds the starter in and reassembled the unit. Now fits like a glove!! I adjusted the collar and have about 1/2 inch deflection on the top of the chain as suggested. So it looks like someone years ago installed the band upside down from I assume factory correct position and beat the band to shape the starter. This poor old girl should have been relegated to parts heap many years ago considering all she went thru  but I wanted to bring her back alive to run the roads again. O.K. Again thank you all for help and support. Am sure I will stumble again as I keep building her up and pester you for info again, Don.