1939 Buick Coupe

Buick_daughter

For sale, serious inquiries only.  Housed currently in a garage in Southern California.  Needs some work but she is a beauty.  Check out that grill on her!  Also looking for more info on what she would be worth in mint condition and in current condition.

Thanks in advance.

--SK

GPTempDownload-3.JPG

GPTempDownload-4.JPG

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1821-1.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

• Like 1

Does it run now?  

My guess is not running,  5500-6500.  Running 7500-8500.  Driving with good brakes and tires,  9G-10G or so.  Fully restored I imagine they can be had for 25 to 30 G in really nice shape.  Perfect Maybe 35 but that would be as nice on top as underneath and probably 60 G to make this car that nice.  

All just guessing as I don't follow the market closely on these. 

That's if it has no rust. 

I'm sure the Buick guys will chime in.  Is it a Special?  Looks to have been refurbished at some point but deteriorated since.

25 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Is that the `39s radiator, air cleaner, water pump/fan, and spot light lying on the floor? Looks like a rag behind the grille..

Good catch.  Sure looks like something is missing in the shell like the radiator in the pics when you look closer.  If the engine is somewhat apart it will take another small deduction in value.  If it's really apart, maybe even another grand.  If it 's apart and needs a serious rebuild or replace maybe 1000 to 1500 less than if it's a together non running engine that isn't seized.  I know the engine that will turn over may be poor shape inside and need the same rebuild,  but sometimes less knowledge has more value as in many will take a gamble that the engine will run.  If it's apart and you can see it's shot,  then there is no guess,  they will automatically want to deduct for it. 

The Buick is a Special model with fender top lamps.  It is also an early production car so it may have a short frame or more probably a Buick dealer modified rear frame.  I like and have a '39 but the '38's are more desirable.

Regards, Gary

Depends on what you want to have when you're done.  IMHO, most of those TV guys are hacks.  It might look nicer when done, but it's considerably less certain that it would be done well or correctly.

If you're trying to maximize resale value, then (as with your Limited), wash it, vacuum it, and take pictures.  Then list it.  Time is money, and you'll likely spend a lot of both making it a presentable driver, with little possibility of recoupment.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

Are those top fender lights turn signals? Because my understanding is 39 Buick was the first car in the world with turn signals, but only in the rear, '40 had them front and back. Maybe I'm wrong if those are turn signals in the front.

The fender lights were optional in 1939, but they were just parking lights, not turn signals (although many people convert them to signals today). 

Fender lights were optional for 39 vs 37&38 where they were standard for use as parking lights. As you stated 39 was first year for turn signals; but in the rear only. Many restorers wire up the fender lights as turn signals.  1940 turn signals were standard front and rear. For 39 the parking light function was part of the headlight through the multifunction light switch.

• Like 1

Correct on the front fender lights,  they were about a $4 option.

It appears to be a Special business coupe, since they did not show a picture behind the front seat, the only clue is the side windows are fixed in the business coupe and slide is the sports coupe....no sign of the window slide so it is a business coupe.

That would make it the lowest priced model that year.

9 hours ago, Buick_daughter said:

I'll be home next weekend and will try to get better pics of the engine and the backseat and rear windows.  Maybe I can grab a VIN.  Anywhere else I should look on the car that would be helpful in ID'ng what model coupe it is?

Cowel tag on the firewall under the hood, will have model/paint/interior info. Also there should be a frame number tag on the side of the frame behind the right front wheel. Pre-war cars didn`t have VIN #s, most had the engine number on the title.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Cowel tag on the firewall under the hood, will have model/paint/interior info. Also there should be a frame number tag on the side of the frame behind the right front wheel. Pre-war cars didn`t have VIN #s, most had the engine number on the title.

On '39 the chassis frame tag is on top of the chassis rail near the starter motor. Often covered in oil/dirt

Photos in the engine bay would be of interest.

38 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

On '39 the chassis frame tag is on top of the chassis rail near the starter motor. Often covered in oil/dirt

Photos in the engine bay would be of interest.

Thanks for correcting me, I thought it would be similar to a few previous years. In a way the `39 is an odd-ball. HA!!