Anyone know who this possible celebrity sitting in this 1941 Lincoln Continental is?

mreilly44

I thought a young Robert Stack at first but he was also born in 1919 so, maybe not. His career was just taking off around this time. The driver does look young though.

What makes you think he owns the car? Maybe it is a studio publicity photo? I have seen lots of shots of actors posing with cars. Besides, any actor under contract to a studio could afford a car like that. The lowest salary I heard of for a contract player was $200 a week. Average wage at the time was about $35 a week.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just for kicks I did a Google search for "1941 Lincoln continental movie star" and found a car that looks very similar that belonged to actress Gene Tierney.  Of course that wouldn't be her sitting in the car, but maybe it's her car?

Here's the car I found:

1941 Lincoln Convertible

It could also be that someone else might have bought her car.  Perhaps this photo wasn't taken in 1941?    This photo could have been taken in the late 50's?   Still, if it was her car, some actor might have bought it from her. 

Just thought I'd share the fruits of my search for whatever it's worth.

Edited by AntiqueCraftsman
typo (see edit history)

I just noticed a difference between the photo in the OP and the car I linked to.

The car I linked to appears to have light on top of the fenders above the headlights.  The car in the original photograph doesn't appear to have those lights.

I wonder whether those lights are original or perhaps someone added them later? 

Another possible difference is that the original car in the OP appears to have a raised hood ornament where the one that belonged to Gene Tierney  doesn't appear to have any raised hood ornament. 

It's probably not the same car.  But it's hard to say as the one in the link I posted could have been reworked or modified who knows how many times over the years?

Yes, I suppose it's possible. But in "totally disposable"  Hollywood, I just can't see Paramount's publicity dept. shooting anyone in a 10 year old car. 😄

11 hours ago, olympic said:

The car in the photo is a 1940 Continental. It has door handles, different grilles and no fender lights on top of the fenders. I had one and wish I had it now.

Thanks for that. This photo was in the 1941 file and I was more curious about the guy to really look into whether it was the right year or not. We will re-file this in its correct place.

On 3/6/2019 at 12:22 AM, GregLaR said:

Hollywood, I just can't see Paramount's publicity dept. shooting anyone in a 10 year old car. 

You wouldn't score any points with Norma Desmond if you wanted to use hers. I can guarantee you that.

32 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

You wouldn't score any points with Norma Desmond if you wanted to use hers. I can guarantee you that.

Well, she was driving a 10 year (plus) old car too - it just was not one of those cheap things made of chromium and spit. 

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/be5ee09d-021d-40ef-b00e-ed2b3b9b12cc 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

On 3/5/2019 at 10:22 PM, GregLaR said:

Yes, I suppose it's possible. But in "totally disposable"  Hollywood, I just can't see Paramount's publicity dept. shooting anyone in a 10 year old car. 😄

But those hub caps would not be on a 1940 Lincoln either. When did they start using flippers?

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Speaking of Norma, How about a real live Norma and her car in 1950? Now that's what the name Norma means to me.

Related image

Related image

On 3/5/2019 at 7:29 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Possibly the Parking Valet at the Beverly Hills Hilton on a joy ride.

LOL, i was a parking valet in beverly hills in the 1970s, but not at the hilton, it was at a high rise condo on wilshire blvd, i enjoyed parking a lot of brand new luxury cars then.

I'm not understanding the hub cap thing here.

A quick Google search of 40/41 Lincoln's shows a similar looking cap on just about all of them?

1940-1941-lincoln-continental-1.jpg

17 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Apples/Oranges.

That is a custom rod, and from the looks of it, a fairly new build at that time.

Yup, that car just screams late-50s/early-60s which would fit with the apparent ages of the Nelson boys in the pic.

On 3/5/2019 at 3:36 PM, mreilly44 said:

We have this photo in the library of a 1941 Lincoln Continental and the reverse is stamped "courtesy Paramount Studios" and we were wondering who the guy is. Possible actor?

Lincoln 1941 Continental Paramount Studios.jpg

Maybe a long shot, but...

That long chin and shock of somewhat unruly hair looks like Jay Leno.  Now IF the pic is from 40-41, he wouldn't have even been a gleam in his daddy's eye then.  But do we know for sure it is that old?  He was in a Paramount film, American Hot Wax (1978), when he was 27-28.  Granted, most pix were color by then but some B&W publicity photos were still being issued.  Course, Leno is a car guy - if it is him in the pic, the car could have been his or part of the studio fleet.

On 3/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, Pfeil said:

But those hub caps would not be on a 1940 Lincoln either. When did they start using flippers?

1933 Cadillac V-16 more or less was the beginning of the flipper bars - they are cool in motion, though actually are really dramatic at night driving under  streetlights - you actually get a flashing or flash bulb effect off of the spinner bar.   It would not be unheard of in Los Angeles to see custom made flipper bars on a new 1940 car. 

3 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The 1933 Sixteen was the first year the spinner-style was optional.  Bets are the chauffeur had to keep an eye on those to make sure they weren't stolen.

The V-16 hubcap would not fit anything else -  I think the big flipper bar theft movement started in 1950's with Oldsmobile.