HELP! Buick super 1949! heating problem after adjusting rocker arms!

Selim

Help needed

i did engine overhaul for my straight 8 original engine in my Buick Super 1949. The car is heating after adjusting the rocker arms! Need more info as the exact measure of the valve clearance. AS WELL AS ADJUSTING ROCKER ARMS.. 

we also noticed that 2 of the tampets are not filled with oil.. ran out of oil.. don’t know y?

2 hours ago, Selim said:

Help needed

i did engine overhaul for my straight 8 original engine in my Buick Super 1949. The car is heating after adjusting the rocker arms! Need more info as the exact measure of the valve clearance. AS WELL AS ADJUSTING ROCKER ARMS.. 

we also noticed that 2 of the tampets are not filled with oil.. ran out of oil.. don’t know y?

Did you ever buy a Shop Manual?    Overheating is PROBABLY a bad radiator.

Ben

I am not sure if the 1949 Super engine would have hydraulic lifters or solid lifters.   If the latter there would be no oil in the lifters.   Someone on this site will know if the engine came with solid or hydraulic lifters.   If solid, the correct valve clearance may be stamped somewhere on the engine.

Joe  

Did you put the lifters back in the exact hole/cam lobe they came out of? If not, that is a major no-no. If the lifters were quiet at first then after some miles started pecking, the  bottom of lifter is shaving metal off the cam lobe and will destroy the whole engine.. With the valve cover off and engine running the push rods should be spinning.. if not that`s a problem. Over the years cam lobes and the bottom of the lifters wear, the bottom of the lifter will be concave and put on the wrong lobe will eat the lobe flat, resulting in metal shavings being circulated thru the oiling system destroying everything. I hope that is not what is happening..

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Don Tomaso said:

Not correct, you have hydralic lifters.

Go in here http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1948-49/index.htm and download the shop manual then you know how to adjust your valves..

million thanks

just sent it to mechanic who does not understand english! but is specifically asking about measures of valve clearance, that is the pivotal question we cant figure out from the catalog !

10 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Did you put the lifters back in the exact hole/cam lobe they came out of? If not, that is a major no-no. If the lifters were quiet at first then after some miles started pecking, the  bottom of lifter is shaving metal off the cam lobe and will destroy the whole engine.. With the valve cover off and engine running the push rods should be spinning.. if not that`s a problem. Over the years cam lobes and the bottom of the lifters wear, the bottom of the lifter will be concave and put on the wrong lobe will eat the lobe flat, resulting in metal shavings being circulated thru the oiling system.

i believe the mechanic did put them in the right place! the problem is that 2 of them are not filling oil! no oil in them! mechanic believes that by tightening the rocker arms that would fill the oil in lifters!

today he is intending to adjust rocker arms with the right measure that i need to know!

The two that are not filling with oil may need to be taken apart and cleaned, just a small amount of carbon/trash could keep the lifter from pumping up. Once cleaned submerge the lifter in oil and use a push rod to the push the inside portion of the lifter up/down to fill the lifter with oil, when doing this you should see little air bubbles exiting from the lifter, after a few pumps movement should firm up, then reinstall. Check the manual as stated in previous post for adjustment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selim said:

Hello I was told that the clearance on the valves is .015. is that correct? .15 of mm? thanks

Hi Selim ! I do NOT know the procedure of setting the valve clearance on your particular car. But in any case,.015 of an inch does NOT equal .15 of mm. 25.4 mm equals 1 inch. Therefore .015 of an inch equals around .38 of mm as a quick calculation in my old head. Right ?  🤔

Please What is the name of the city along the coast we see in the picture of your car ? What city do you live in ? I wish I had traveled to see the ancient civilizations in Egypt when I was young and strong 40 or 50 years ago. It would be very interesting to see some pictures of your Buick in some interesting location. No Pharaoh ever had it so good, no matter what dynasty !   🐫?  😎.

I hope you will be driving soon with no problems. Put the very best radial tires on it, and inflate them fairly high for high speed on good roads. Lower the pressure and drive slowly for the ancient rough roads.     -    Carl 

If you do not have oil in two of the lifters, then for this engine you need to look at the rockers on top first for an obstruction or correct assembly. 

From the manual Don linked above:

1207356225_49oilflow.thumb.jpg.e94608c9ddfb80ec06bcd9d6e6b514b7.jpg

And by the way, overheating of the engine has nothing to do with rocker arm adjustment. Letting an engine sit and idle for a long time is a sure way to make it overheat. Sounds like your radiator might need to be cleaned out, but even a clean Buick radiator will eventually overheat if it does nothing but sit still and idle for half an hour.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

This is how you do it, hydraulic valvelifters don't have a valvelash

Copied from the manual:

a . Initial Adjustment of Hydraulic Valv~
Lifters
The initial adjustment of any hydraulic
valve lifter must be made only when the lifter
is on the camshaft base circle (off the cam) .
1. Crank engine over slowl y until distributor
rotor indicates that affected cylinder is in fir-
ing position, which places both lifters of this
cylinder on the camshaft base circle (off the
cam) , so that either lifter may be adjusted.

2. Turn adjusting ball stud as required until
all play of push rod between lifter and ball stud
is just removed, and there is no lash clearance
in the valve train.
3. Turn adjusting ball stud down exactly 2
turns. Check to make sure that oil groove on
ball stud is at least half way down in rocker
arm so that it connects with the drilled oil pas-
sage in rocker arm, then tighten the lock nu t .
4. If oil groove on ball stud is not at least
half wa y down in rocker arm, turn ball stud
down one additional turn (total 3 turns) and
tighten lock nut. If oil groove is still too high,
it will be necessary to install another push rod
or lifter.
5. When it is necessary to adjust all valve
lifters in an engine, time may be saved by
aligning the "D.D.C. 1-8" mark on flywheel
. with index mark in ti ming hole in flywheel
housing, firs t with No. 1 cylinder and later
with No. 8 cylinder in firing position as in di-
cated by position of distributor rotor. Adjust
lifters according to the following table :
-No.1 Cyl. Firing- - No. 8 Cyl. Firing-
Valve No. Va lve Val ve No. Valve
1 #1 Exh. 3 #2 Inlet
2 # 1 Inlet 5 #3 Exh.
4 # 2 Exh. 6 #3 Inlet
7 #4 Inlet 9 #5 Exh.
8 #4 E xh. 10 #5 Inlet
11 # 6 Inlet 13 #7 Exh.
12 #6 Exh. 15 #8 Inlet
14 #7 Inlet 16 # 8 E xh.

On 3/6/2019 at 2:53 PM, C Carl said:

Hi Selim ! I do NOT know the procedure of setting the valve clearance on your particular car. But in any case,.015 of an inch does NOT equal .15 of mm. 25.4 mm equals 1 inch. Therefore .015 of an inch equals around .38 of mm as a quick calculation in my old head. Right ?  🤔

Please What is the name of the city along the coast we see in the picture of your car ? What city do you live in ? I wish I had traveled to see the ancient civilizations in Egypt when I was young and strong 40 or 50 years ago. It would be very interesting to see some pictures of your Buick in some interesting location. No Pharaoh ever had it so good, no matter what dynasty !   🐫?  😎.

I hope you will be driving soon with no problems. Put the very best radial tires on it, and inflate them fairly high for high speed on good roads. Lower the pressure and drive slowly for the ancient rough roads.     -    Carl 

Dear carl

million thanks for the tips

i will as soon as I finish the car, take some photos for it

best

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...