Help with 31 DH6

Rez

Bought a barn find 31 DH6. Guy said it was a 32 but after research and help on this forum it's a 31 DH6. No engine. Has serial # 3552959. Trying to get title due to bill of sell only. Front doors wouldn't open when first bought but finally got passenger door open and that's where I found serial #. I still yet have to find VIN # stamped on frame. I'm in the process of getting a title but they want an engine in it. I will try to get pics loaded up soon. These 2 are from when I just got it

20180407_164636.jpg

20180407_164659.jpg

Your DH was built fairly late in the production run. It is possible that it was first sold in '32 and states often used the first sale date for the model year on their paperwork.

Can't say on your car, but on my '33 Plymouth the serial number is no where to be found on the frame. However the engine number is stamped on the outside of the frame between the running board supports on the driver side. You might try looking there, will probably require a good wire brushing to find anything on the frame as they weren't always stamped very deeply into the metal.

Look on the outside of the frame on the driver's side, near the front spring hanger on the rear springs. It should be on the riser over the hanger. It will be a very faint stamping and will look similar to this....this number is on a 1933 DeSoto....

Picture 9096.jpg

• Thanks 1

I do not have the engine. Apparently I need one so I can get a title. I am located near Dallas,TX. I will try to get under it this weekend because it's like 20 degrees outside right now

12 minutes ago, Rez said:

So the serial # is the Vin #?  Cause I've been told they use the engine # as the vin #.  

Most of the time during that era, the engine number was used as the vin.

Many sates titled cars by the engine number. My state included since many vehicles did not have separate serial numbers. My 1931 Dodge DH is titled with the serial number as they did with cars which had serial numbers. I would try a different DMV office to see if they will title the vehicle with the serial number. Just apply with title using the serial number.

Edited by dodgedh2 (see edit history)