A Comparison...`63 thru `65 Power Trunk Releases

1965rivgs

Thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing the progression of power trunk release controls from `63 to `65. The `63 control is on the left and `65 on the right. Obviously, the space dedicated to the controls becomes less and less invasive within the glovebox as the years progress. I`m very surprised it took Buick engineers until `65 to resort to the "T" handle. My `62 Olds has the "T" handle and I suspect Oldsmobile used it even before `62.

I`ll be selling complete remote trunk release packages as I put the correct components together. If anyone is interested please send me a PM,

Tom Mooney

20190304_192548.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Tom,

In a previous post I stated that I wasn't sure but I thought that the 63 and 64 remote trunk releases actually created the vacuum where as the '65 released stored vacuum.  Looking at your display, I'm led to believe that what I stated was correct.  Was I?

Ed

28 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Tom,

In a previous post I stated that I wasn't sure but I thought that the 63 and 64 remote trunk releases actually created the vacuum where as the '65 released stored vacuum.  Looking at your display, I'm led to believe that what I stated was correct.  Was I?

Ed

Yes, correct,

Tom

• 1 year later...

I’m installing a 63 vacuum trunk release in my 63 Riviera. The vacuum release works about 20% of the time.

I read about vacuum bleed off because there was leak in the system. I would suppose a person could suck on the hose at the plunger

and then at the little tank where the trunk latch is located to pin point a leak at least at those two places? Can the the two parts in the vacuum trunk release be repaired?

Thank you

Turbinator

On 3/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing the progression of power trunk release controls from `63 to `65. The `63 control is on the left and `65 on the right. Obviously, the space dedicated to the controls becomes less and less invasive within the glovebox as the years progress. I`m very surprised it took Buick engineers until `65 to resort to the "T" handle. My `62 Olds has the "T" handle and I suspect Oldsmobile used it even before `62.

20190304_192548.jpg

That's just cool

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Turbinator said:

I’m installing a 63 vacuum trunk release in my 63 Riviera. The vacuum release works about 20% of the time.

I read about vacuum bleed off because there was leak in the system. I would suppose a person could suck on the hose at the plunger

and then at the little tank where the trunk latch is located to pin point a leak at least at those two places? Can the the two parts in the vacuum trunk release be repaired?

Thank you

Turbinator

I don't know if this will answer your question but the 63/64 trunk release is not tied into vacuum  created by the engine.  The vacuum canister in the glove box creates all of the vacuum needed to pop the trunk.  As long as the seals in the canister and the hoses are not cracked, the remote should work. If you have the lungs, you can pop the trunk by sucking on the vacuum hose.  

I have to say I love having one in my 65. I use it all the time, and keeps you from messing with the pricey, fragile, rare trunk lock cover emblem. 

As Gene stated above,  there is a vacuum canister mounted low on the right side of the firewall.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RivNut said:

I don't know if this will answer your question but the 63/64 trunk release is not tied into vacuum  created by the engine.  The vacuum canister in the glove box creates all of the vacuum needed to pop the trunk.  As long as the seals in the canister and the hoses are not cracked, the remote should work. If you have the lungs, you can pop the trunk by sucking on the vacuum hose.  

New 3mm hose routed to not be pinched. Loom covering vacuum hose under the back seat. I meant vacuum leak/bleed was a result of failed mechanism on one end or the other. MitiVac did not open trunk on plunger mechanism nor mechanism at the latch. Both mechanisms are failed? I must be doing something wrong. Ha!

Turbinator

5 hours ago, Turbinator said:

New 3mm hose routed to not be pinched. Loom covering vacuum hose under the back seat. I meant vacuum leak/bleed was a result of failed mechanism on one end or the other. MitiVac did not open trunk on plunger mechanism nor mechanism at the latch. Both mechanisms are failed? I must be doing something wrong. Ha!

Turbinator

Morning Bob,

Not sure how you tested each of the components but I`m assuming you tested the latch mechanism via the hose which originates at the pull knob cannister? If so, did the test of the latch mechanism hold vacuum? If so, you might have a piched hose or quite possibly the latch mechanism is binding and the bind cant be overcome by the actuator.

Try testing the latch mechanism at the mechanism itself and see if it retracts.

I`m sure you have this covered but if you need any components I think I have one `63 and one `64 system left in my parts stash.

Tom

I`ll be selling complete remote trunk release packages as I put the correct components together. If anyone is interested please send me a PM,

Tom Mooney

20190304_192548.jpg

Tom & Ed,

In my 64, I have the one that is on the left too.  Works every time I use it, but hate using it because then my trunk lid flies open.  Need to weight the lid down or something.  I got to say one thing that catches my eyes are the two slotted head screws.  Got to be the only ones on the car.  Haha.

Art

2 hours ago, awk409ak said:

Tom & Ed,

In my 64, I have the one that is on the left too.  Works every time I use it, but hate using it because then my trunk lid flies open.  Need to weight the lid down or something.  I got to say one thing that catches my eyes are the two slotted head screws.  Got to be the only ones on the car.  Haha.

Art

Art,

As far as I know the `63 style is on the left, `64 style in the middle. I suppose there could have been some carryover from `63 into `64 or if a `63 accessory kit was installed... but I`ve closely examined alot of first gen cars over the years and those are the model years I associate each unit with...and the slotted screws ARE definitely factory.

Tom

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Art,

As far as I know the `63 style is on the left, `64 style in the middle. I suppose there could have been some carryover from `63 into `64 or if a `63 accessory kit was installed... but I`ve closely examined alot of first gen cars over the years and those are the model years I associate each unit with...and the slotted screws ARE definitely factory.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Even though mine is a 64, it definitely has the one on the left.  It has the script at the top.  You may remember that my 64 is a fairly early build, Aug 63, and has the remote trunk callout on the trim tag.

Art 

Tom Mooney

20190304_192548.jpg

This is very cool, Tom. Very helpful.

Do the trunk ends of the device all look the same over the 3 years?

As I recall, the cardboard trim that goes over the release actuator is slightly larger to accommodate the vacuum can on cars with the remote trunk release.

17 hours ago, telriv said:

Art,

Being 8/'63 build date it probably has some carryover '63 parts. Like the ends of the sunvisors are like a triangle instead of being "rounder" for one compasision.

Tom T.

Telriv,

Do you mean the mounting end of the visors (see pic #1)?

Jim,

Not sure what trim piece you are referring to, so here's a picture of what mine is like.  I think it is correct.

Art

428301835_Visormount.thumb.jpg.8d327354b47649352fbd6c5f2852789d.jpg2063542524_RemoteTrunkRelease.thumb.jpg.943459715e5e191409b1824754e4cc2f.jpg

1 hour ago, Jim Cannon said:

This is very cool, Tom. Very helpful.

Do the trunk ends of the device all look the same over the 3 years?

As I recall, the cardboard trim that goes over the release actuator is slightly larger to accommodate the vacuum can on cars with the remote trunk release.

Hi Jim,

Off the top of my head I would say yes but I`m not 100% confident of my memory. I would need to check the parts/cars I have on hand or the parts books.

Yes, the rear cardboard is larger.

Tom

Hi Art,

Yes, that is the first version in `64. Both versions are listed in the parts books. Pretty sure the later version started later in the `64 model year because I have a parts car that`s pretty late with the first version. Maybe owners can chime in and we can come to some conclusion?

Tom M

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:12 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Morning Bob,

Not sure how you tested each of the components but I`m assuming you tested the latch mechanism via the hose which originates at the pull knob cannister? If so, did the test of the latch mechanism hold vacuum? If so, you might have a piched hose or quite possibly the latch mechanism is binding and the bind cant be overcome by the actuator.

Try testing the latch mechanism at the mechanism itself and see if it retracts.

I`m sure you have this covered but if you need any components I think I have one `63 and one `64 system left in my parts stash.

Tom

Tom, thank you for the update and courtesy regarding parts availability.

I thought the same about the mechanical lock piece not working. I made certain the “ flat bar from the lock cylinder was seated in the latch. The flat bars lined up where they were suppose to be. I tested the latch with the key and the latch triggered on dry test. The latch opened with the key with trunk lid closed. i pulled most of the new silicon hose away from the installation to check for pinch. I put a vacuum tester on the plunger pull mech and drew 10” of mercury. I put the plunger on a 6” length hose connected to the cannister and latch with no luck. Still what you say could be right on about the latch binding. I used some graphite on the latch and the latch by seemed to like the lube.

My testing of the cannister lead me to believe it was not holding a vacuum. I tried to get some silicone spray down the tiny cannister opening. Still no luck. Let me try some more.

ill pm regarding parts should I be in need. Many thanks.

Turbinator

Art, an observation of your 1964 glovebox. Yes, you have the same pump as a '63 but the lens for the glovebox light is not the round thingy that keeps falling out as in my '63. Also, a replacement glovebox? I don't see any binding on the front edge. Or, is that '63 only?

Also, if the trunk flies open, adjusting the torsion rods should make it operate to your liking.

Mention of GM Designers freeing up glovebox space with the '65 arrangement. 1st Generation Rivs had less deep gloveboxes for AC cars.

Not trusting that old hose, I searched hi and lo for 244" of .1" or 3mm rubber hose. Could only find pre-cut packets of hose, no bulk. Frustrated, I installed that clear PVC☹️. I now know of a local supplier that has almost everything. Too late now, all together

7 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Art, an observation of your 1964 glovebox. Yes, you have the same pump as a '63 but the lens for the glovebox light is not the round thingy that keeps falling out as in my '63. Also, a replacement glovebox? I don't see any binding on the front edge. Or, is that '63 only?

Also, if the trunk flies open, adjusting the torsion rods should make it operate to your liking.

Mention of GM Designers freeing up glovebox space with the '65 arrangement. 1st Generation Rivs had less deep gloveboxes for AC cars.

Not trusting that old hose, I searched hi and lo for 244" of .1" or 3mm rubber hose. Could only find pre-cut packets of hose, no bulk. Frustrated, I installed that clear PVC☹️. I now know of a local supplier that has almost everything. Too late now, all together

I found bulk hose on e-bay. I got a 50' roll of 7/64" hose. I kept 25' and sold the other 25' to another member that was installing his trunk release. 

Bill

Any decent parts store should be able to sell full rolls of all sizes. I ONLY buy Gates products as I`ve found some of the off brand products dont compare. Dont be fooled by "manufactured by Gates" as I have also found repeatedly in fleet situations,  those products, specifically fan belts, dont compare to the product which Gates supplies. As I recall, NAPA markets their fan belts that way.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XframeFX said:

XframeFX,

Can't speak too much about the "round thingy or the binding on the front edge", but Tom was saying a few threads earlier that because of the early build date the 64 model could have a few 63 parts running over into 64.   As far as the trunk flying open, yes you are right or I can just attach a small magnet near the latch to weight down a little.  One of the two I can do, but haven't done either.🙂

Art 

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)