1915 Overland Model 83

The clutch/flywheel assembly is currently at the machine shop for repair. I just discovered the throw-out bearing should have a tapered side to fit in the holder (see photo in previous post). My bearing fits the holder I.D., but it has a standard flat base. Attached is the factory blueprint of this bearing. Any ideas?

Phil

2540 - 19140117.jpg

• Like 1

The machine shop told me that the bearing base cannot be cut with a radius because the shell (outer race?) is not thick enough. He came up with a plan that uses a standard c-clip to retain the outer face of the bearing. I asked if a curved ring could be sandwiched behind the bearing, but there is only about 1/16-inch to spare. Of course, I could get a new bearing made to the original blueprint (above), but that would be expensive. 

I'll post photos when I get it back tomorrow.

Phil 

• Like 1

I hope I do, Al!

I got the flywheel back from the machine shop. As I said, they made a new bushing (called "flywheel bushing" by Overland). They used a standard C-shaped retaining clip to hold the bearing, but this rubbed the bearing surface. I substituted a spiral retaining ring which has a narrower O.D. My throw-out bearing slides over this ring slightly, as it did before. I think this will work.

Phil

The new Flywheel bushing is a press fit.

IMG_3032.JPG.f1a8d886ff55793344e9477f72118384.JPG

The spiral retaining ring in place (plus another to show how it is made). Note that the upper bearing I.D. can slip over the ring. Total movement is about 5/16-3/8 inch.

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3034.JPG

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

I returned the flywheel and clutch assembly to the engine today. I forgot the clutch had to be inserted before the engine is lowered, so had to remove it yet again. However, with all the accessories off, it only takes 5 minutes to lift it out. I believe the only practical way to remove the cone clutch assembly is to pull the engine, so I hope it works. The engine was tight from the rebuilding, but it cranks easier than I'd thought. I found the TDC mark on the flywheel is correct which means I have the flywheel bolt holes aligned correctly! The clutch withdraws smoothly with the pedal now.  Next, to reassemble the engine compartment (magneto, manifolds, starter, etc.). I hope I remember where it all goes...

Phil

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

After some time, I'm back working on the Overland. I was onto other projects while awaiting a rebuilt "Dixie" magneto. This rebuild took about 18 months. The Dixie-brand magneto, made by Splitdorf, was an interesting design, perhaps to get around Bosch patents. My Overland, like many others, had an adapted Bosch magneto. The problem with the Dixie was the generous use of pot metal castings. The Bosch mags will fit, but require some cutting. Anyway, I sent 2 (what I thought were) good unrestored Dixies to the rebuilder and was told they were both junk. However, he said he might have a good one he could restore for me. It took a whilem, but it finally arrived. The photos show the two mags side-by-side with the front off the Dixie. Also, a photo of the Dixie in my Ovderland. You can see that the Dixie is rather more compact. Note the chunk cut off the left side of the Bosch to get it to fit in the Overland.

Phil

IMG_3486.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

• Like 2

Can you share who did your magneto work?  My 1912 Flanders has a Splitdorf Model F low tension magneto that kind of works, but I would like to have it fully refurbished at some point.  :)

Mark's Magneto Service in Colchester, CT did my Dixie mag. I was lucky that he had a magneto with good pot metal to rebuild. As you know, pot metal can deform, crack and even fall apart depending on the alloy. An Overland owner I know went so far as to re-machine from brass a new body for his Dixie magneto. Bosch mags did not have this problem, but the Splitdorfs are nicely designed aside from that!

Phil

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I recently re-commenced my Overland restoration after working on a couple other cars. I replaced the refinished dashboard. Note the electric control box on the steering column which I have yet to re-wire. I also made a custom base for my Optima battery. You can still purchase the original-style "extra width" battery which is used in tractors, but I prefer the gel type. 

IMG_3649.JPG.2a7cbb4d42c053a6566fdb33e5459672.JPGIMG_3650.JPG.37798bbacafc2c58eec983d7ad9352dd.JPGIMG_3651.JPG.a54bfe8033f9b98f47eb25d0a46dc4e4.JPG

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

My restored Auto-Lite generator needs a connection to the crankshaft. It originally used "silent chain," a very strong and slip-proof power drive. The downside: should the generator shaft seize, the robust chain will snap the end right off the shaft. That's exactly what occurred on my car. My English Overland friend David substituted a rubber V belt & pulleys for the drive, which makes sense. Of course, I'm going the original route with the chain. Because the generator will always turn with the engine, it must be connected to the 6 volt battery via the cut-out or it may overheat.

Here's what I learned about Silent Chain. It's a positive drive with almost no lost motion. It can be used for camshaft and timing drives. It's ingenious design is composed of numerous stamped steel segments joined by swaged pins.  There are many sizes of chain available. I got mine from Ramsey Products in NC. You can send them the dimensions and spacing of your sprocket wheels to get the size needed. I suggest you order a chain a few links longer than you need and cut it down. I made the error of ordering an 82-link chain, as specified in the factory drawings, if I recall correctly. Turned out I needed 84 links. In seeking to order the extra 2 links, I found they have a $104 minimum order. Luckily, I found a longer chain on eBay which I shortened (if anyone needs some, let me know!)

The photos below show what to do. Cut the swaged ends off 2 link couplers with a grinding wheel. The pins can then be tapped out with a small screwdriver blade. There are two more shorter connector pins holding all the flat links together which just drop out. You then fasten the chain over the sprocket wheels (I used small clamps) and insert the new connecting pins. The special pin they supply is held in place with a washer and a cotter pin or a small roll pin. Be sure to request extra connect pins from Ramsey with your order, as they supply only one. If you need another pin, it will cost you $104! The chain can be uncoupled by removing this pin. 

Phil

P1030849.JPG

P1030848.JPG

P1030846.JPG

P1030845.JPG

P1030844.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Hello Phil.  Do you know, is the chain you ordered the same as what is used on the Dodge Bros. starter-generator unit?

Al

Not sure what the Dodge Bros. used, Al. You can see the specs for the Overland 83 chain in my photo of the Ramsey box. Ramsey does have good customer service, so I suggest you give them the dimensions of your sprocket wheels (diam. + width + no. of teeth) to see what will fit. I do have extra chain, but no extra connection pins.

Phil