U-Joint Leather Dust Shields

MochetVelo

This is a photo of my 1915 Overland drive shaft. The universal joint has a leather cover on each side to keep out dust and seal in grease. As you can see, the leather is deteriorating. How can such a seal be made? I see these described as "leather dust shields" and "leather grease bags" in old Automobile Topics magazines.

Phil

IMG_1503.JPG

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

Have you checked with the Willys Overland Knight Registry? (WOKR)

They have a Forums group also and bet you would get an answer there from an owner of a car like yours.

Care to post a picture of your car?

I had the same issue with my 1930 Plymouth.  Take the old seals off, measure the thickness of the leather and the size, use the original one as a template for shape.  Go to Tandy Leather online and order some leather that matches your size (you'll have to cut the right shape from the leather).  Mine was sewn, I think at the top and bottom to make a seam for strength, so I just copied the original exactly.  You'll need some heavy-duty thread, a heavy-duty needle to get thru the leather, and a heavy duty thimble or glove or something or you'll tear your fingers up.  Sew it exactly like the original.  Or, take it to a pro to have them sew it.

Mine was held on with a baling wire type material, then twist-tied on either end to keep it in place.  Fairly easy job, but any sewing needed make take a while as it's tough getting thru the leather in a quick manner.

7 hours ago, MochetVelo said:

There may be enough for a pattern. I'll try removing it carefully.

I have a lot of leather pieces, as I repair player pianos and organs. Do you know what type of leather was used? 

Phil

Phil, I don't remember, but it is very similar to the thin part of a baseball glove in the palm area.  I can try to look into it further when I get some time away from work.  I should have the receipt somewhere.

Deer skin? Easy to work with?! Wow.... I made some shift boots out of it and found it to be the toughest stuff to sew on a machine I ever encountered. It's too soft and stretchy. It's like trying to sew Jell-o.

It is unbelievably tough and probably a great choice from a durability standpoint. I would expect it to outlast cow leather.

• 4 months later...

If there like Detroit type universals, it is actually a dust cover .  To keep dirt out of joint . Most are found over greased . And it is a suede material as you described . Most where sewn and had laces of clips or eyelets for leather shoelaces . And ends had heavy tie wire in sewn seam to fix to groove on either end of joint .

That's right Tom, Not and advert for these guys, but DCM of Michigan carries a reproduction...exactly as you describe. Only diff is no laces of clips.

IMG_5059.jpg