Sign in to follow this  
TerryB

1964 Cobra

Posted (edited)

I recently bought some old magazines from a Facebook market ad, 42 of them in fact for a very good price.  This one, the British MOTOR from September 1964 has this great ad for the AC Ford Cobra w/ 289.  I don’t know the exchange rate but someone might be able to calculate the price.

513F511F-3D77-49AB-B067-968045784E54.jpeg

Edited by TerryB
Ccs to c.i. Conversion (see edit history)

Wow, it must have been just about $2,000 or so. 

Oops!  I first said it was a 427 cobra, it’s the 289 but still a cool car.  Those darn ccs got me 🤷‍♂️

19 minutes ago, lump said:

Wow, it must have been just about $2,000 or so. 

Back in the mid '60s, I spent a fair amount of time studying "The Exchange & Mart" tempted by the astonishingly low prices for exotic old British wheels. IIRC, it took somewhat less than $3 to buy a British pound. A good Google jockey could probably confirm, but also having gone to England in '68, I think I am fairly close. If you ever get a chance to see what cars the lads were trading amongst themselves, at prices then, you will not be able to avoid some of those "if only" daydreams.     Bought all my Jaguars in Seattle,     -    Carl 

Posted (edited)

The pound was worth $2.80 at the time so L2030 = $5684 and the purchase tax of L424  9 shillings and 7 pence was $1193.30. So, the full price with tax would be $6877.30. This would be equal to L49,338.55 today. Or $65,126.88.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The pound was worth $2.80 at the time...

My research on the internet exactly corroborates Rusty's figure of $2.80 for the year 1964.

For a long time prior, the British pound was worth about $5.00 in U. S. dollars.

I do not think Carol Shelby thought to much about the word AC with the name Cobra if I remember correctly.

Wonder if AC built the RHD cars. Remember a 2-3 year old 289 Cobra selling for $1995 back in the day. Friend of mine bought it and added dual quads. About the same time I bought a Devin-Jag on a 150s (triple carb) chassis for about the same price, I've never had a Ford.

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, Joe in Canada said:

I do not think Carol Shelby thought to much about the word AC with the name Cobra if I remember correctly.

Does everyone know what AC stands for? I sold this 1912  to the right guy who did a flawless restoration on it. Bob 

QW5.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Carrol  Shelby said the inspiration for the Cobra came when he was racing sports cars in the fifties. He said the English made these beautiful sports cars then put 1918 taxicab motors in them lol. He figured there was nothing wrong with them an American V8 wouldn't cure. In the early sixties the supply of Bristol motors dried up about the same time Ford introduced the 260 V8. Ford was on a Total Performance kick at the time. They were ready to sponsor someone like Shelby to make sports cars. This arrangement gave them the prestige of making sports cars at practically no cost, allowing them to capitalize on successes while keeping failures at arms length.

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Does everyone know what AC stands for?

Almost Champion? No sorry that is spark plugs.

• Sad 1