Water pump removal - lycoming 2h

Water pumps were high service items with packings back in the day, I doubt the radiator would need to be removed if the entire set up is in its stock configuration. That being said, who knows what modifications have been done over the years. What is the vehicle the engine is in? Lycoming was installed in lots of different applications.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

2Hs were used by Auburn, Elcar, Gardner and others (for which I don't recall any Clubs/websites)...I believe there're clubs/groups/sites for those three that might be helpful for this or other questions that might come up...

OOPS---Apperson also used the 2H...

Edited by Bud Tierney
Addition (see edit history)

In an answer to EDINMASS  My 1915 Olds doesn't have to have the radiator removed to take the water pump off but it is easier to do things that way.   The crank hole cover and extension is removed and then the front timing cover has to come off (after draining the oil ).  One of the timing gears is removed and the water pump is disconnected from the starter-generator- distributor. All you have to do then is disconnect the water pump.  I suspect that the Lycoming water pump is just about the same, frequently serviced or not.

Check the 'tech aids and tips' page at gardnermotorcars.com there is a 28 page book on Lycoming  series H.  Not much on water pumps but it might be worth printing anyway.

I look every year at Hershey for a Lycoming manual ah maybe next year I'll find one. 

What car do you have with the 2H engine?

It is a orphan called a Worldmobile. It never went into production. Some say they were working on eight of them but this is the only one left. It has been pushed around for a long time but now the goal is to make it drivable AND preserve as much patina as possible. It is a survivor. 

But the water pump leaks like a seive and both gland nut are shattered and galled into their holes. So I also need some leads on where to get replacement gland nuts. Ill get size and thread count once i get the pump off. 

Thanks

James C

The Napa store in Fremont Ohio might be able to help you out. They did the water pump on my Lycoming Gu engine. Basically they  made a new shaft, installed modern bearings and seal,  and  new nut that looks correct but I no longer have to tighten for the packing.

Just spent the last ten minutes lookimg for my copy of that book. Couldnt find it! I think the Standard Catalog is the solitary reference left of the Worldmobile. But that description is spot on with the hood. The coach work is good except the hood. It almost looks like its from another car and then someone bashed it in to match some cowl contours. A lot of the ancilliary parts are sort of propped up and lashed on. It was definitely a prototype made of a conglomerate of different brand pieces.

But, I separated the water pump which took days filled with evaporust, razor blades hammered along the parting line, heat, and hammering.

Thanks

James C