Dennis Gage, My Classic Car

ragtop4two

I occasionally watch My Classic Car, and recently I wondered what cars Dennis Gage owns personally. Every episode he seems over eager to drive someone else's cars, and I thought he must have a collection of his own. An internet search didn't seem to help much.

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Super obsessed  to open the hood on everything, to the point of being annoying. Bob 

Just enthusiastic.

I hope you like Pringles? He also has a PHD in Chemistry and holds a number of patents in that field.

Ever notice that Dennis has a big mustache? Ever notice the guy on the Pringles chips has a big mustache? It's not by accident.

Image result for pringles logo

Guys, if you ever meet Dennis in person,you will find he is one of the most enthusiastic, nice, polite interesting fellows you've ever met. ( and he listens carefully to you talking about your car as well as remembers meeting you before if he did that ! ) Here he is with my wife in 2012 at the Cruise Paradise event here on the Big Island of Hawaii we have once every 3 years.  His show has been on for 23 years now, it is very popular with an awful lot of people, some who do not even have "collector  cars", so I guess he must be doing something right.  

DSCN3645.JPG

Edited by John Byrd (see edit history)
  • Like 2

There is an old boy that frequents a weekly show in Portland in the summers.

Its a HUGE thing that has been going on for years.

Well, this guy has a pretty nice convertible but will ask to drive every car that has a for sale sign in it.

He drove one of mine once, then I figured him out and ask to see the money before I let him behind the wheel any more.

I guess if I saw him driving a different car to the show once in awhile he might be more legit.

But Dennis Gage has always reminded me of this guy, wanting to get a sample of everything.

I should be so brash.

• Like 1

I met Dennis once at an event and spent some time with him and he seems to be pretty much the guy you see on TV. He's genuinely enthusiastic about the cars and as someone pointed out, he wants to hear your story and treats it like it's important (yeah, yeah, you know he's heard about the car your dad had about a zillion times and how you found it in a garage and restored it yourself).

I also would bet that he's getting burned out on this same TV show format which is going on, what, 20 or 25 years now? He may just be going through the motions at this point--I know I would be tired of that kind of grind week after week. The cars are cool, it's neat to be able to drive them, but at the same time, I doubt he's really into it the way he used to be and maybe it shows, I don't know. Still a nice, personable guy, but man, that's got to wear a man down after all this time.

• Like 2

I'm not doubting Dennis Gage is a great, down to earth guy and his enthusiasm on his show is part of what makes his show stand out. I just was thinking he must have some of his own, and what he may have. If anyone here meets him in the future is there any reason why you wouldn't ask him to check out this website?

I know Dennis Gage fairly well, I think (at least from the car hobby and car industry perspectives). Both he and I have been elected to the ARMO (Automotive Restoration Market Organization) and SEMA Halls of Fame. And, both of us have been very involved in the collector car hobby and the industry which serves it for a long time. 

One thing that Dennis told me directly, with respect to Pringles Potato Chips: Dennis is partly responsible for the contents inside the tube, but is NOT represented by the image of the mustache on the outside of the package. 

Dennis is a car guy, no doubt. But you must remember that he is a full-time professional working to serve automotive hobbyists. He has to be "ON" whenever he is around car people, and he must work to make his shows seem exciting to viewers. If he were to act less-than-excited about a car featured on his show, it might be disastrous for the series. Dennis really does love cool old cars, but he knows that he is in the spotlight whenever he is around vintage  iron. He must appear enthusiastic and excited, even if he doesn't feel well, or is having a bad day.

I'm glad to call Dennis Gage a friend of mine. 

You must keep in mind that people who work in the industry which serves the old car hobby are AT WORK when they appear around other hobbyists. Although we really do love the cars and most of the people we meet, we must perform our various jobs effectively, or quickly become unemployed. It's something which is perhaps nearly impossible to understand, until you must depend exclusively on a career in the auto-hobby industry to pay your bills for a long time.

I have done so since the early 1980's. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Having met Dennis at the Amelia Island Concourse years ago where he did a feature on my 55 Pontiac for MCC, and after chatting for an hour over a beer, in my opinion he truly is a really nice down to earth car guy who likes anything with wheels, including motorcycles.  

Interesting speaker if you ever get the chance to learn his "life story" about he changed modes from P&G Chemistry to collector cars. 

Terry

On 3/3/2019 at 11:13 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

Although I do enjoy his show it really seems to be mostly one big commercial. The advent of DVR and fast forwarding has made the show much more fun for me. 

You make a reasonable point, from your perspective. But the fact is that smaller TV show producers must BUY the network time upon which their show is broadcast. Every episode costs them tens of thousands of dollars. Often, the network keeps a few of the commercial spots for itself. Thus, the small producer must sell the maximum-allowable number of remaining commercial spots to various sponsors, just to stay afloat. (I'm not sure if MadStache productions operates this way or not. There are MANY different ways for TV shows to exist. But none of them are cheap!) 

So, they either sell enough commercials...or cease to exist. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

It has only been a few years since Proctor and Gamble let a camera inside a Pringles factory.

I may have met him and didn't know it at the Weyerhaeuser Tech Center in Tacoma.

Weyerhaeuser and P & G worked closely with each other in the fluff pulp sector.

I was involved in some experimental trials there at the Tech Center and P & G had a section walled off with guards outside the door.

I spent 37 days without parole in Tacoma.

Neat stuff, back in 1987, I think.

Bill H

I know this original concept of this thread was about the cars he owns.  It would be cool if he would just say one day "I'm just staying home and showing you my cars!" Maybe interviewed by a friend.  Bottom line is I like my old car hobby ambassadors-celebrities.  Dennis Gage, Wayne Carini, and Jay Leno come to mind.  I hope Dennis goes on forever.

I remember a few years back he lost his home and storage, thought maybe he would dial down after that, but he keeps moving on!

On 3/4/2019 at 9:30 PM, lump said:

You make a reasonable point, from your perspective. But the fact is that smaller TV show producers must BUY the network time upon which their show is broadcast. Every episode costs them tens of thousands of dollars. Often, the network keeps a few of the commercial spots for itself. Thus, the small producer must sell the maximum-allowable number of commercials to various sponsors, just to stay afloat. (I'm not sure if MadStache productions operates this way or not. There are MANY different ways for TV shows to exist. But none of them are cheap!) 

So, they either sell enough commercials...or cease to exist. 

Please be aware that I am  not disparaging Mr. Gage or his show. My perspective is the one I know best. His issues with sponsorship I am sure are faced by others in the media business. I only wished to point out that it seems that the show is a long series of commercials mostly from the same clients and even the Tech session on many shows feature his sponsor's products. Not necessarily bad but at times somewhat monotonous. When I do see a tech session I want to see I watch it. Otherwise  I skip past  it.

Reminds me of another show about new cars that has been on for 50 years now. I gave up watching it partly because the Garage guy often seemed to be covering the same areas over and over.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Please be aware that I am  not disparaging Mr. Gage or his show. My perspective is the one I know best. His issues with sponsorship I am sure are faced by others in the media business. I only wished to point out that it seems that the show is a long series of commercials mostly from the same clients and even the Tech session on many shows feature his sponsor's products. Not necessarily bad but at times somewhat monotonous. When I do see a tech session I want to see I watch it. Otherwise  I skip past  it.

Reminds me of another show about new cars that has been on for 50 years now. I gave up watching it partly because the Garage guy often seemed to be covering the same areas over and over.

Understood, Cranbrook. Nor was I disparaging YOU. I'm merely observing the facts and harsh realities of producing and publishing media for other people to enjoy. There are a whole LOT of really great car magazines which we all used to enjoy which are no longer in existence. While it's true their readerships were declining, there were still plenty of people interested. But advertisers moved on to other media. And without someone to pay for delightful automotive media (advertisers and/or sponsors), it must disappear. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lump said:

Understood, Cranbrook. Nor was I disparaging YOU. I'm merely observing the facts and harsh realities of producing and publishing media for other people to enjoy. There are a whole LOT of really great car magazines which we all used to enjoy which are no longer in existence. While it's true their readerships were declining, there were still plenty of people interested. But advertisers moved on to other media. And without someone to pay for delightful automotive media (advertisers and/or sponsors), it must disappear. 

Observation along these lines, just went through a car magazine at a friends office NINE full page ads for Weather Guard products in a 90 page magazine. Looks like a great line of products, but I'll never be in need of them since my vehicles are so old. The ads must be working since the company CEO is collecting cars, real nice ones. Bob 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Observation along these lines, just went through a car magazine at a friends office NINE full page ads for Weather Guard products in a 90 page magazine. Looks like a great line of products, but I'll never be in need of them since my vehicles are so old. The ads must be working since the company CEO is collecting cars, real nice ones. Bob 

Yes. 

At the time when I was at the peak of my ad-buying years, we watched their growth carefully. Very smart marketing firm, for sure.