coolant fart

Guest Reatta1

Guest Reatta1

I have a recurring condition with my 88 that I call a 'coolant fart'. Quite often after driving the car someplace and leaving it sit for a while and then start up again, as soon as the climate system comes on and the blower starts up I get an antifreeze odor in the car. Sometimes worse than others. Starting out cold, like in the morning, it doesn't do it. I cannot detect a leak in the system and have never had to add coolant. All comments hints or suggestions sought. confused.gif

Check the heater core. Pressure test or first look for signs of dried coolant that would indicate a leak. I have noticed the same thing on a couple of cars I have had just before the heater core lets go. Very small leak lets out just enough fluid to evaporate and give off the odor and then when the leak finally gets big enough the passenger gets their feet washed.

Guest wally888

Is probably an interior leak but while your checking, look at top corners of radiator after engine warms up. Some radiators develope minute cracks here and only leak when pressurized until..............!

My 90 had the same odor and as Wally suggests it was the radiator. The plastic end tank developed a vertical split just above the upper transmission cooling line fitting that only leaked when pressurized. If you see any cracks in the horizontal "ribs" on the plastic end tank you need to replace the radiator.

Remember when you turn off the motor the coolent gets hotter because the flow has stopped. The pressure becomes higher and that is when you system is showing the sm. leak. If you smell it inside them go for the heater core. Your car is warning you. Pay attention before you ruin your carpet..........Ken

Guest Geoff Meador

Not a Reatta-specific answer, but for what it's worth:

I had the same symptom in my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee last month. It turned out to be a sign that my water pump had failed.

Again, not sure if that has any bearing on your Reatta.

Guest Reatta1

Doubt it would be the water pump as I replaced it several months ago. Will look into some of the other suggestions. Appreciate all the input. smile.gif

Guest Reatta1

After an experience with my 86 Cadillac Cimmaron I'm not sure I want to put stop leak in my Reatta. I ended up with a horrible mess and replaced every component in the system except the engine. I discovered a very small puddle under the car yesterday and evidence of dripping down the firewall. Looks like I'll be replacing the heater core. mad.gif