64 Leaking Fuel Pump on first start

MY64RIVIERA

Alright experts....I need some help.  I live in central Ohio and after the car sitting for a couple months the weather warmed up a little so I decided to start my 64 up and take it for a little spin.  After a couple cranks and pumping the gas pedal she started up (sat for a month), however a few minutes into running I observed fuel leaking from the fuel pump.  I got under her and it appeared it was coming from the top end of the fuel pump and not the intake on the bottom side.  It was flowing pretty good so I immediately turned it off.  Got underneath her again and wiped it up and let it sit for a couple minutes.  Then I decided I would fire it back up and then this time there was no leaking....dry as a bone.  Let it run for quite awhile and the leaking was gone.  Two weeks later, exact same scenario however i only pumped the gas pedal once, thinking that might have been the problem.

Any recommendations on possible causes?  I also took it to my mechanic which was approximately 15 miles away and he has not been able to reproduce the issues?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I just went through changing out my fuel pump.  If you think the pump is still good get a new gasket.  Otherwise get a new fuel pump and replace it.  It's an easy replacement with standard tools.  It took me under two hours.  I did not use any sealant, just the gasket dry.  Also, make sure you rotate the cap toward the number 1 wire.  I did this by turning the crank.

I also changed my oil and filter at the same time.  The oil smelled a bit like fuel.

Good luck and let us know!

Chris

Edited by first64riv (see edit history)