AC retro

Reatta1

Learned something today about AC with R12 versus R134A. I retro'd my 88 to R134A couple months or so ago including new compressor (for horror story see previous post). Thought all was fine till couple weeks ago the computer posted the 'low refrigerant' message. Stopped in at the dealer to discuss with the service writer and he said was probably just a 'glitch'. Happened four more times last week so took it in today and they tested it. Test came out good with everything up to specs. Tech said that with the 134A the system runs at different limits and the puter is set to see the R12 limits and can 'misread' the low limit and give a 'low refrigerant' message. According to him you can't reset the chip. Anybody out there have any experience with this? tongue.gif

I have an 88 with the original AC compressor and R-12 charge. Over the last year I have intermittantly encountered the low A/C pressure warning screen. I had the system checked out and no problems were found. The warning message persisted so I replaced the low pressure sensor (the one that does not require the system be discharged). However, I still periodically get the low pressure warning. It sounds like we may have the same problem with both R-12 and R134. Did you replace the expansion orifice when you completed the R134 retrofit?