TerryB

There’s a reason it’s called a Mini

Hope you don’t mind me sharing this photo my son shot recently.  The name Mini Cooper really seems to fit when viewing the car in this perspective.

0523B72D-A168-445C-9A3C-3E7D7838D3B5.jpeg

• Like 2

I remember going for the brake and hitting all three pedals with one foot. Of course that was an original.

ps anyone remember the Maxie ?

The Mini was conceived as a competitor to the Isetta, Messerschmidt and other bubble cars of the fifties.This explains a lot .

1 hour ago, padgett said:

ps anyone remember the Maxie ?

Yes, the mighty Maxi. Yay! But what about the Allegro? Groan.

10 hours ago, cheezestaak2000 said:

i'm 6 foot 3 and weight 315 pounds, and i'm amazed at how well i can fit in the new mini.

My son is 6’ 5” and 280, he’s been looking for a sporty car that he can fit in.  Would like a stick shift too but shoe size complicates that choice as well.

5 hours ago, TerryB said:

My son is 6’ 5” and 280, he’s been looking for a sporty car that he can fit in.  Would like a stick shift too but shoe size complicates that choice as well.

Take a look at the Chrysler TC Maserati. There was a 5 speed version on Ebay recently. Might still be there. They only made around 300 of the manual tranny cars that had a twin can four cyl at 200 hp.

I know a lot of people look down there noses at these but I have had a couple and found them to be comfortable and quite sporty.

They sold new in 89-90 in the $30,000 range. Hand built in Italy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JACK M said:

Take a look at the Chrysler TC Maserati. There was a 5 speed version on Ebay recently. Might still be there. They only made around 300 of the manual tranny cars that had a twin can four cyl at 200 hp.

I know a lot of people look down there noses at these but I have had a couple and found them to be comfortable and quite sporty.

They sold new in 89-90 in the $30,000 range. Hand built in Italy.

Thank you Jack but he is shopping in the German isle of the automotive market.  His sought after brand is the small car with big price that begins with the letter “P” and 911 in the number column. So far it’s been a lot of looking.  The later models fit him better but their price tag is out of range.

• Like 1

Back to the o.p.. That Mini does look diminutive in that parking space. But I suspect that is an American space and is a loooong one. The mini was about 3.1 m long so that space appears to be about 7 m (24') long.

Ours are shorter on average coz we have few land yachts. Yesterday, we occupied the whole space with front and rear over the white lines. The car is 4.45 m long - admittedly it was a slightly smaller than usual space.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, TerryB said:

Hope you don’t mind me sharing this photo my son shot recently.  The name Mini Cooper really seems to fit when viewing the car in this perspective.

0523B72D-A168-445C-9A3C-3E7D7838D3B5.jpeg

Now take two Mini's and put a NISSAN Hypermini in between;

And it's a much safer car.

Image result for nissan hypermini images

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Back to the o.p.. That Mini does look diminutive in that parking space. But I suspect that is an American space and is a loooong one. The mini was about 3.1 m long so that space appears to be about 7 m (24') long.

Ours are shorter on average coz we have few land yachts. Yesterday, we occupied the whole space with front and rear over the white lines. The car is 4.45 m long - admittedly it was a slightly smaller than usual space.

Photo was taken in Northern California near San Francisco which is not known for giving extra space to parking.  That is what really surprised me when I saw the photo.

Suspect that is space for a limo.

And the other neat thing is the little guys fit in your typical lawn mower shed with a 60 inch door !

DSCN8623.JPG

DSCN8622.JPG

• Like 1