1955 Chevy Nomad Bel Air

No shots, follow the link.  No stone unturned remember.  Probably the guy isn't real Internet savvy.  I saw a few comparable project to the Op's car in the low to mid teens. 

When you really want something you can't leave any stone unturned.  

When I get really serious about getting an Auburn.  I'll find one in my price range.  Right now my Auburn "Showroom" ;)  project is consuming my time and finances.  (I have an online business, that's why I'm on here at all hours of the day) 

The 55 Nomad is by far one of my most favored cars, one that kept getting out of my price rage as time went on.  While their fan base might be dropping off, look at all the controversy this one has created.  Most times a car for sale ad gets a few comments here but this one is going strong with our inputs. Sure hope the original poster enjoys the frequent bumps he’s receiving!

4 hours ago, mercer09 said:

somebodys not paying attention here.......................

wishful thinking.

I agree. I think we're on a fishing expedition here. No set price. Post photos & description, get a few people interested so they hopefully try to out maneuver each other to buy the car. I think Matt is right. It's a $5000 car, MAYBE $8000 at best. Am I the only one seeing it's been stored in a damp or wet location? There's a reason all the surface rust is all over the interior hard surfaces & what appears to be mildew on the fabric. He said it was stored currently under the dreaded blue tarp (helps keep the moisture in). Looks like it was rode hard & put away wet many times. Some of you are debating the value of priming it versus leaving it as is. Either way, someone looking at it closely will see the bad & ugly.

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)

The long discussion is just because the OP asked about what it's worth and toyed with the idea of selling it if it was a winning lotto ticket.  I chimed in as often guys won't break the water on what's it worth threads.  I think they are cool cars.  I would never buy one in this shape unless it was to flip, as I can see the very long and expensive journey to resurrect it.  It's nothing more than an educational thread to help get us through this long trying winter. 

There's no fishing at all. There's no set price as I'm trying to determine the value as I'm not a car expert. The car was never stored in a wet or damp place and I'm not sure what gives you that impression. As I noted in my first post it was garage kept for 30 years, yet it has been sitting out side under a car cover for 3-4years. I was advised to join this forum as there are knowledgeable people that are willing to guide me in the right direction. So far everyone has been very welcoming until now.

George, I'm not sure where this is coming from since you were the first to make a offer over DM. That said, we are all untitled to our opinions and YES I am very much interested in selling the car, I just didn't want to be taken advantage of and was trying to educate myself. I will get some pictures of the what's under the hood over the next few weeks. If anyone is still interested by all means let me know. 

1 hour ago, Fox Collections said:

There's no fishing at all. There's no set price as I'm trying to determine the value as I'm not a car expert. The car was never stored in a wet or damp place and I'm not sure what gives you that impression. As I noted in my first post it was garage kept for 30 years, yet it has been sitting out side under a car cover for 3-4years. I was advised to join this forum as there are knowledgeable people that are willing to guide me in the right direction. So far everyone has been very welcoming until now.

George, I'm not sure where this is coming from since you were the first to make a offer over DM. That said, we are all untitled to our opinions and YES I am very much interested in selling the car, I just didn't want to be taken advantage of and was trying to educate myself. I will get some pictures of the what's under the hood over the next few weeks. If anyone is still interested by all means let me know. 

This is the internet world reaction to what you have to sell, mostly good inputs and a few skeptics.  Overall you will get the help you seek.  Price is difficult to set with the present condition of the car.  You can help your cause by cleaning up the car, making sure the tires hold air for pics, show any parts that go with it and so forth.  Bottom line is the car will be expensive to restore to original condition.  Your actual buyer might be a resto mod person who is not worried about absolute originality.  

1 hour ago, Fox Collections said:

I got the impression it was stored in a wet/damp location because of the interior surface rust. I've pulled enough cars out of garages, barns, and from under tarps to know the signs of wet or damp storage conditions.

Yes, I did make an offer. After reading Matt's opinion and advice, I believe it was a high offer, too high.  As I stated, I think he is correct about your car. The reason I think this is a fishing expedition is because of your replies via PM. You asked what my offer would be & my reply was " Probably in the same range as the other offers you have. I saw 1 or 2 on the forum. For me, a lot depends on what the engine and transmission are. That's why I want the codes/numbers off the engine." Part of your reply to that was "That's some what vague. I've had offers from 12-20k as it sits now." Knowing you have a car that is a #5 condition car per "Old Cars Price Guide", why would you not have sold it already for the $20,000 you were offered, unless you are fishing, since it's worth about half that.

Nonetheless, I'm out, but I'll gladly decode the codes & numbers off the engine when you get them. It may help one of your buyers make a decision on the car.

old car price guide.jpg

Thanks Terry, I will do that. From what I was told the 55 has a 327 corvette engine from 65 or 66. 350 hp and a 4 bolt main that holds the crank shaft. Again, everything is what some one will pay. Based on that and now knowing the engine are we thinking it's worth 10-12k? As mentioned I would l've to restore it but wouldn't know where to start nor have some where to store it. I was thinking of putting it up for sale on eBay motors and call it a day. 

George, I'm happy to sell it, I was just trying to do all my home work before hand. 

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

go put it on ebay. no debating and at the end of the day, you will get what the mkt will bear.

that simple.

I think you are correct about ebay. It seems most cars that show up here with questions as to value ultimately get the ebay response. Probably the best & maybe should be the first response to such an inquiry. Let that market tell the potential seller what his car is worth.

Just as long as the seller understands they might sell their car 2 or 3x on ebay before it actually sells.

That is just how it works. I once sold a 66 Mustang 4x before it really sold. Plenty of bidders and many go MIA when it comes time to pay.

Here on AACA you have many enthusiastic car collectors, and no, we dont like playing around. That is hard for a seller to understand, when they are just trying to get top dollar.

Auburnseeker is an "expert" with ebay and has seen pretty much every scenario possible. ask him.

There was an Auburn for sale on here about a yr ago, and the fishing was ridiculous. In the end, the seller blamed the family for not getting it sold and then went MIA himself.

Most who ask these questions on here are only fishing, though I am not accusing the op of that. I was a serious buyer at the beginning of this thread. No longer interested as well.

I realize I want to buy a "done" car and dont want any more projects.

Edited by mercer09 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

Auburnseeker is an "expert" with ebay and has seen pretty much every scenario possible. ask him.

Well I wouldn't go that far.  I know enough to know, I know more that I want to know. ;) The only experts on ebay are the guys that affect policy that never actually use the site. 

Anyways I would be more than happy to give the OP some suggestions to help minimize questions and get it in front of the most number of eyes. 

As always I suggest a reserve, if any at all, so low that it's painful but tripped early so as to get the bidders in a feeding frenzy.  Once they know they can own it,  they will be more aggressive to own it.  Lots of detailed clear photos and you will need to decode that engine tranny first.  That will be one of the number one questions asked.  You will also need those parts inventoried.  If they are missing it could affect the value by a couple thousand dollars and quite possibly the interest.  You will have more buyers with the more complete it is.  

I still stick by my first numbers give or take a little depending on how much Nomad stuff is missing.  Let us know if you go that route so we can watch and see which one of us gets the Boobie prize for best guesstimate. 

• Like 1

As for the storage.

If these pictures are current the car is in a damp environment as we speak.

Leaves in the nooks and crannies are a huge promotor of decay.

The pavement is wet in the pictures.

And the statement leads one to believe it has been in this location for three years with a cover on it.

All that along with other observations here indicate that this body will need some serious restoration no matter what it is worth.

A couple of hours with a pressure washer and a wash mitt along with an air compressor might help you get it a bit more presentable and quite possibly yield some higher offers.

As it sits it looks neglected.

I think asking value without getting it ready, and without knowing what it has under the hood is putting the cart before the horse.

If you indeed decide to let Ebay dictate its value do these things first so that it at least looks like it has potential, not just offering up a neglected hulk.

This is meant to be constructive, not destructive criticism. I hope you take it as it is intended.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, all the information and advice is extremely helpful. I will definitely utilize the information and plan accordingly. Once, I clean her up, show all the additional parts, put air in the tires and provide the engine / tranny info I will re-post the proper pictures here first. At that time you all should have the info you need and we can proceed. Once again, thank you all for your help and have a great day.

If anyone has any additional questions please feel free to DM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, LAWRENCE111 said:

'56 NOMAD best one ... 55 and 57 not even close .. 

To each his own, but those "cut-out" rear wheel wells were only used on 55 Nomads, and really made them look like race cars. SO much more appealing than 56 or 57's. But again, to each his own. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2019 at 9:54 AM, JACK M said:

As for the storage.

If these pictures are current the car is in a damp environment as we speak.

Leaves in the nooks and crannies are a huge promotor of decay.

The pavement is wet in the pictures.

And the statement leads one to believe it has been in this location for three years with a cover on it.

All that along with other observations here indicate that this body will need some serious restoration no matter what it is worth.

A couple of hours with a pressure washer and a wash mitt along with an air compressor might help you get it a bit more presentable and quite possibly yield some higher offers.

As it sits it looks neglected.

I think asking value without getting it ready, and without knowing what it has under the hood is putting the cart before the horse.

If you indeed decide to let Ebay dictate its value do these things first so that it at least looks like it has potential, not just offering up a neglected hulk.

This is meant to be constructive, not destructive criticism. I hope you take it as it is intended.

This is good advice. I’ve sold many cars on eBay this way. Take lots of pics inside, out, under, and a good description (After you clean it up), with details of any extra parts you have, the engine, the back story, etc. good luck with your sale.

BTW, I didn’t have any buyers back out, but it does happen, as mentioned. Most cars sold the first go around, a couple I relisted 2-4 times because they were for sale around Thanksgiving or Christmas. Others sold that time of year with no problem. I put a reasonable reserve and started the bidding low to get attention. I was realistic about value and didn’t expect to get top dollar, but a fair price. Right now with the current crisis going on, you might have more trouble selling. I am a loan officer and can tell you that home sales have been starting to stall in the past couple weeks. I’d sell sooner rather than later, if selling is your intention. 

Best of luck with your sale. I hope someone restores this as I personally love Nomads and this is my favorite year. I sold a 55 210 2 door project a couple years ago. (On eBay)

Also, you have some of the most Knowledgeable and helpful guys on the forum commenting here. Their advice helped me sell my late father’s collection.  They are giving you good advice, and if you follow it, you will benefit. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for posting the selling price. It is an uncommon thing to do. The "How much is my whatever worth?" question comes up often. They all want to know how much it is worth but never tell how much they got or what they paid. Questions and speculation, the topics are just entertainment and fantasy.

You are a role model.

Bernie

13 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Well I wasn't too far off.  Glad you got that much,  especially with the way the project market seems to be faltering a bit. Wonder if it would even bring that a year later,  especially with the current world outlook.  You picked a good time to cash out. 

If you'll notice, auburnseeker, I gave you a thumbs up on your estimate last year (I think I was the only one that did, too.) Seemed like a balanced assessment to me...though I've never owned a Nomad  😄.

• Like 1