Fox Collections

1955 Chevy Nomad Bel Air

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I love "coulda' beens." Cars that the automakers could have built but didn't. I had an awesome 1970 Mustang Boss 302 convertible that was quite accurately done that was very cool and I would love to have a '66 Pontiac GTO wagon with a 4-speed and a hood tach. Things like that are just plain fun.

Well there is one exception.  I'm not sure those 70's Corvette station wagons really hit the mark. ;) 

The original Nomad dream car built from the corvette was pretty cool though. 

The GTO wagon would be cool. 

Posted (edited)

Here is a picture of someone's model of what a 56 Olds sport wagon might look like.  I prefer the 88 or Super 88 trim though over the 98 they used. 

Maybe even solid color or just a different color roof. 

To build one you would probably want to build it on the 88 or Super 88 Chassis as the 98 was based more on Cadillac where the 88 and super 88 were based on the Pontiac / Chevy Platform.  so the dimensions would be friendlier. 

c4defa203d41b84a54cf7be34a74830b.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Well... since we’re straying from the op’s car, I’ll take one of these...

DF4E7869-4F51-425C-B584-4AC3CF2DC81B.png

• Like 3

Well we are still on era correct and dream wagons.  So not too far. 

• Like 1

Looks like you did the best you could with what they offered.    Still makes me think  it might have been the byproduct of when a vega wagon and a corvette met in a back alley after a few too many shots. ;) 

Interesting car. By the VIN it's originally a 6 cylinder car.

I would say it's worth 10-12K depending on what's included and missing.

I would suggest you join the Trifive.com forum and list it for sale in the classifieds.

To give you an idea of value....10.thumb.jpg.baa1d2a0459f41bcae5f58e07e0f5e14.jpg

I bought this 2 years ago for 22K, 40 year old paint, 4 speed, '57 283 not running, with an old interior but not installed.

California car, 98% rust free, perfect floors.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 210Hardtop said:

Interesting car. By the VIN it's originally a 6 cylinder car.

I would say it's worth 10-12K depending on what's included and missing.

I would suggest you join the Trifive.com forum and list it for sale in the classifieds.

To give you an idea of value....10.thumb.jpg.baa1d2a0459f41bcae5f58e07e0f5e14.jpg

I bought this 2 years ago for 22K, 40 year old paint, 4 speed, '57 283 not running, with an old interior but not installed.

California car, 98% rust free, perfect floors.

I've seen stuff similar to this over the past few years.  Some running and driving for another 5 G or so above what you paid.  That was why I put the value estimate I did on it.  I also mentioned it was a price that should sell the car.  Alot of people don't understand that those higher prices won't sell it.  I meant if you wanted to cash out in the next few weeks you should be able to get that.  If you want to hang on to it for a few years and hope for just the right guy, then you can try for more.   But every year there seem to be less and less people that want big projects and often more and more restored and older restored cars (thus cheaper). hitting the market so they do the math and say why build when I can buy this one for half or quarter of what it will take to make that one as nice ,  plus I'll be driving it tomorrow.   Maybe you can blame it on the instant gratification thing. 

That one you bought looks like a nice find. 

6.thumb.jpg.ed01eabe1e8fb085dc52a8948b129bd7.jpgThanks,

4 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I've seen stuff similar to this over the past few years.  Some running and driving for another 5 G or so above what you paid.  That was why I put the value estimate I did on it.  I also mentioned it was a price that should sell the car.  Alot of people don't understand that those higher prices won't sell it.  I meant if you wanted to cash out in the next few weeks you should be able to get that.  If you want to hang on to it for a few years and hope for just the right guy, then you can try for more.   But every year there seem to be less and less people that want big projects and often more and more restored and older restored cars (thus cheaper). hitting the market so they do the math and say why build when I can buy this one for half or quarter of what it will take to make that one as nice ,  plus I'll be driving it tomorrow.   Maybe you can blame it on the instant gratification thing. 

That one you bought looks like a nice find. 

Thanks, I'm in Canada and it was 4-5 hours from home which is a huge advantage to me, no customs hassle and expense of shipping

Posted (edited)

210- IN ALL FAIRNESS, YOU BOUGHT A 30K CAR FOR 22K.

TRY AND DUPLICATE WHAT YOU DID. WONT HAPPEN...........................

sorry, didnt mean the caps!

Edited by mercer09 (see edit history)

It will again.  Diligence , the internet and a little luck (but less than you think). and you will find something similar.  Maybe not today or tomorrow but within a few months.  Seems Nomads have a pretty high survival rate.  I have seen Safaris a tad better than the OP's Nomad for sale for the same or less than the value I placed on that car. 

As Matt said you don't have the competition you would with say someone looking to find a virgin 32 Ford roadster for 10G.  For 30G the Nomad would be just like I said,  running and driving.  Yeah you would also have to buy it from a different source than where all the tri five and Nomad guys search daily.   I imagine if you used search tempest and Claz along with others you would find something as I mentioned.

Thanks guys. Once I get the hood open I will send a few pictures around but i'm pretty sure it has the 327 corvette engine in there. Based on what you've shared, almost 100% original with not much rust and the engine what are we thinking? 18-20k as is? I want to restore her but I think it will cost way to much. Pictures below.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fi0pbYmBwwj474jQc8s1G6YKm0wlpAoo/view?usp=sharing

Posted (edited)

This is why it's important that all the trim is there.

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/pts/d/chevy-nomad-1955-eye-browsreduced/6779737701.html

These seem overpriced but I expect they are pricey maybe not $1600.  I sold an NOS one for 10 years ago in really nice shape in the package and thought I made out like a bandit at 250.  I guess not.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

somebodys not paying attention here.......................

wishful thinking.

LOL! cmon Randy- wheres the photos.....................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No shots, follow the link.  No stone unturned remember.  Probably the guy isn't real Internet savvy.  I saw a few comparable project to the Op's car in the low to mid teens. 

When you really want something you can't leave any stone unturned.  

When I get really serious about getting an Auburn.  I'll find one in my price range.  Right now my Auburn "Showroom" ;)  project is consuming my time and finances.  (I have an online business, that's why I'm on here at all hours of the day) 

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

wishful thinking.

Uh HUH !!   -   CC 

The 55 Nomad is by far one of my most favored cars, one that kept getting out of my price rage as time went on.  While their fan base might be dropping off, look at all the controversy this one has created.  Most times a car for sale ad gets a few comments here but this one is going strong with our inputs. Sure hope the original poster enjoys the frequent bumps he’s receiving!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mercer09 said:

wishful thinking.

I agree. I think we're on a fishing expedition here. No set price. Post photos & description, get a few people interested so they hopefully try to out maneuver each other to buy the car. I think Matt is right. It's a $5000 car, MAYBE $8000 at best. Am I the only one seeing it's been stored in a damp or wet location? There's a reason all the surface rust is all over the interior hard surfaces & what appears to be mildew on the fabric. He said it was stored currently under the dreaded blue tarp (helps keep the moisture in). Looks like it was rode hard & put away wet many times. Some of you are debating the value of priming it versus leaving it as is. Either way, someone looking at it closely will see the bad & ugly.

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:58 PM, mercer09 said:

Also 57 produced the least.

Actually, the production figures are:

1955   6103

1956   7886

1957   6103

The long discussion is just because the OP asked about what it's worth and toyed with the idea of selling it if it was a winning lotto ticket.  I chimed in as often guys won't break the water on what's it worth threads.  I think they are cool cars.  I would never buy one in this shape unless it was to flip, as I can see the very long and expensive journey to resurrect it.  It's nothing more than an educational thread to help get us through this long trying winter. 

There's no fishing at all. There's no set price as I'm trying to determine the value as I'm not a car expert. The car was never stored in a wet or damp place and I'm not sure what gives you that impression. As I noted in my first post it was garage kept for 30 years, yet it has been sitting out side under a car cover for 3-4years. I was advised to join this forum as there are knowledgeable people that are willing to guide me in the right direction. So far everyone has been very welcoming until now.

George, I'm not sure where this is coming from since you were the first to make a offer over DM. That said, we are all untitled to our opinions and YES I am very much interested in selling the car, I just didn't want to be taken advantage of and was trying to educate myself. I will get some pictures of the what's under the hood over the next few weeks. If anyone is still interested by all means let me know. 

•  
  •  
  • George Smolinski
  • Members
  • 525 posts
On 3/2/2019 at 1:58 PM, mercer09 said:

Also 57 produced the least.

Actually, the production figures are:

1955   6103

1956   7886

1957   6103

• George, 8103 is the correct number for 55, unless the tri chevy forum is wrong???????????????????????????