Help, no idea what I have here

SpeedJohnson

I’m hoping it’s a non military 1945 Plymouth Coupe. From what I understand only less than 1000 were produced.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i’m not looking to sell, but money talks

whats everyone think? Worth dumping what I guesstimate being around 15,000$ in to? Or just sell it outright?

no title or bill of sale, how ever I have power of attorney rights with the property owner, so from what I understand, I can notarize a bill of sale 

I tried finding the serial number, but the passenger door is missing and there’s no plaque anywhere to be found.  I can’t get to the frame stamp location

i have the motor, it’s out and rusted, no way to test compression due to where it sits

email me for more pictures please

11E9A63B-AD94-4174-AFFF-4EB476F5B7E2.jpeg

9F42C732-EF59-4E27-A35F-11B6712BD306.jpeg

What is the reason you think it is a 1945?  What difference is there between a 45 and 46 that can identify it? You are right that if it can be documented as a 45 it may have some additional value.

1 minute ago, Fleek said:

What is the reason you think it is a 1945?  What difference is there between a 45 and 46 that can identify it? You are right that if it can be documented as a 45 it may have some additional value.

This is a ‘46 dash versus my dash. I can’t  seem to find a dashboard picture for ‘42 to ‘45

2A73F469-8AD9-481E-B75C-54D32DF99E6C.png

74B209BE-CE99-4261-BDC1-E2ECB55160E8.jpeg

Serial number is on the driver's door post not the door. Have another look. If it has been removed (unlikely) you will see where it used to be.

Engine number is stamped on the block, on the left side, at the top, behind the generator. On a raised pad a few inches back from the front of the block. Take a small wire brush to clean it off and maybe some chalk or a crayon to highlight it. Engine number is not conclusive because the engine may have been changed.

There is a plate on the firewall that has some information that may be useful. See if you can get a photo.

Do you have all the parts that have been removed? The car may still have some value although not near as much as if you hadn't let it go to pot'

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I guess I'm learning something new here.  I didn't think there was such a think as any 1945 American car outside of military production.

45 or 46 or 42,  car is beyond saving.

There were 770 made as pre orders. Number may be incorrect, just got that from my research

Look at the window glass. I don't know about Plymouth but I think all the American makers marked the date the safety glass passed testing. I found a Chevrolet that was clearly a 1946 model but was being marketed as a 1943 military car. I showed the seller that all the window glass was dated 3/46 or 4/46 but he sill claimed it was a 1943 model.

Don

It's a 1946 radio delete order with plain dash. Not that special. It may have been built in 1945, but is considered a 1946.

Found on another Plymouth site....

"In 1948, my dad bought a '46 Plymouth Deluxe black two door sedan that was a Plain Jane model. I remember the dashboard was solid with no radio grille or Plymouth nameplate above like the Special Deluxe models that I had. His didn't have armrests on the doors like to model pictured.

John R"

1946 dash.JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SpeedJohnson said:

It’s a 1948 P15s

serial: 15287713

seems like a bust

It was fun to investigate and it’s common to have the outcome be something other than you were hoping for.  Looks like a candidate for a rod project now.

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

So the idea that there was no civilian production in 42,44 and 45 is still true?  Correct?

Some 1942 civilian production built until the war in December. Those are the 1942s without the blackout paint built before December of 1941.