'51 Buick -Intake alignment rings

Kestrel

I started torquing down my manifold but forgot to insert the 4 metal intake alignments rings into the head. How important are they ?

Should I pull the manifold off and put them in ?

The manifold was re-surfaced and I have new Remflex gaskets.  Thank you !!

Of course, your results may vary (i.e. don't blame me if something goes wrong), but I think you'll be OK if you used the Remflex gaskets (as long as everything lined up when you installed it).  Do a vacuum test...if the engine pulls 18" or more steadily, it's probably fine.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Since I can't blame anyone else,  I'll pull it off and re-install with the rings. It's just tough to find a helper when its cold and snowy. The house manager offered to help, but the attention span there is abut 5 seconds....on a good day :( 

3 hours ago, Kestrel said:

Thanks guys. Since I can't blame anyone else,  I'll pull it off and re-install with the rings. It's just tough to find a helper when its cold and snowy. The house manager offered to help, but the attention span there is abut 5 seconds....on a good day :( 

Re-install the rings.  You will worry less and sleep better at night.  Trust me on this.  😉  

• Like 1

You did the right thing, all things considered.  Having piece of mind rather than anxiety in anticipation that something might happen later on, counts for a lot.

Considering how things were done back then, they were probably as much for location purposes (as well as the manifold studs) as for sealing the ports to the manifold.  Either ONE of those location methods would be fine, but to have TWO would be better.

The difference between 20 ft/lbs and 25 ft/lbs of torque is very minor with normal threads.  What you might do is re-check the torque after a few hot-cold engine cycles to make sure it stays at the recommended level.  More piece of mind, later on.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 1