Identify a Car from Brass Era

caramateur

Hi all! I'm trying to help a friend identify a car they purchased which is clearly from the Brass Era. Whoever restored the car did so over a decade ago and added some decal that says "1902" and "Masthead" on the front. However, I cannot find any information on this make. I suspect the car might be an Apperson or early Ford model between 1905-1915, based on the style. But, judging from the style, I'm highly suspicious that it is a 1902. Here are some links to photos of the car:

Catering+Vehicle+%25285%2529.jpg

DJGu6O3UEAAjWsI.jpg

Catering+Vehicle+%25281%2529.jpg

Any ideas?

3 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Thanks for your reply. I realize that is what they are claiming or have been told. And I don't doubt it was owned by someone from the UK, who may have originally brought it to Hong Kong where it was used during WWII, but I do doubt that it is a "1902 Masthead" as I have not found any info on such a company and the style is unlike any British car during 1899-1904. 

2 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

I have added to my post. I think it might be a local manufacture. They don't look much like car wheels. Was there a Masthead truck?

I've found nothing of this name in anything relating to automobiles in Google, at least (except referencing the exact car in question - the link you gave IS the same exact vehicle). That is a good possibility it is a mix-match of automobiles. I'll see if I can get them to open it up and give me a picture of the engine block. A lot of the internal components, from peeking in the front, were mix-matched. 

I don't see anything from the brass era. The radiator looks like the same expanded metal as the Seeburg jukebox speaker grills with noting behind it.

The pin on the bottom of the radiator shell looks like it is there to keep the hood and radiator from moving forward.

It is nothing but a poorly proportioned tourist car that would fit right in at Toon Town in sunny California. 

• Like 2

I'm betting that it was made from a combination of parts, as an attraction to lure tourists into thinking they are being driven around in some sort of antique car. Those front tires look like solid rubber. The seats look like modern, high back, bucket seats.

• Like 1

I don't know what it is, but it's not a 1902 anything. My guess is, that it is a small bus built for the tourist trade on a late model light truck chassis. A hand made body built in the last 10 or 20 years. The serial number, registration, and engine number would tell the tale. There is a good chance someone on this board could identify it by a few pictures of the engine and underside of the chassis.

Masthead emblem probably picked up in a junk shop, it may be old but it is not even off a car or truck.

Your friend has a unique and eye catching vehicle. If it is on a modern chassis it should serve him well for many years if he takes care of it. It is important to identify what kind of vehicle it is, so he can find out the proper service schedule and knows what sort of replacement parts to buy when they are needed.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Agreed, if you really want to know.... get some pictures from under the vehicle, parts like the rear end, suspension and engine will identify the year built.  I would be shocked if it were any older than 1960's by Disney.  My favorite part is the 1970's door handles, Ford/Holden?

Masthead built ship lamps, most likely someone thought the emblem looked good.

Image result for masthead brass lampsimage.png.a47df75a21b79b4c3b33137e63f59957.png

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Well, I have been to Siem Reap, Angkor Wat and Phnom Penn and never saw this car or any Bamboo trains mentioned in the above link.

Additionally I didn't see any ads for same in those hotel racks that push the activities.

That said, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and would go back in a heartbeat. 

Maybe I could get a ride in that thing, but the small motor bikes with the trailers were plenty fun.

I didn't get a very good photo, but here one is.

But, How would you like to be an electrician there.

Actually the wiring photos are form Viet Nam, The gas station and bike from Cambodia.

The gasoline was sold by the liter from old soda bottles.

IMGP8604.JPG

IM002952.JPG

IM002953.JPG

IMGP8603.JPG

12 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Agreed, if you really want to know.... get some pictures from under the vehicle, parts like the rear end, suspension and engine will identify the year built.  I would be shocked if it were any older than 1960's by Disney.  My favorite part is the 1970's door handles, Ford/Holden?

Masthead built ship lamps, most likely someone thought the emblem looked good.

Image result for masthead brass lampsimage.png.a47df75a21b79b4c3b33137e63f59957.png

Great job finding that. I was looking every where to figure out where the "restorer" got this emblem. Definitely not a legit automobile make.

This reminds me of the double-decker bus I bought from Walt Disney world some years ago. It certainly LOOKS old, but was made in the 1950's or 1980's depending on whether one believes the date on the title, or some research others claim to have done on these propane-powered GMC straight six-equipped vehicles. 

Bus_top frame.jpg

22 hours ago, caramateur said:

Great job finding that. I was looking every where to figure out where the "restorer" got this emblem. Definitely not a legit automobile make.

I am not even sure masthead is the lamp manufacturer. It may just be a tag indicating that lamp is intended to be used on the masthead . Some of the lamps we had on the ship I worked on had similar labels, port. starboard, stern, anchor. They are very old fashioned however still required as part of the emergency equipment on ships {Canada at least} in case of a total power failure.

Greg in Canada