Cowling Removal 67 Riviera

usbear2009

Hi all:

I have to replace the windshield wiper motor on my 67 Riviera. To do that I have to remove the body panel with the vents to reach the clip that attaches the wiper mechanism to the output shaft. I took out the screws holding down the leading edge of the cowling but it won't come out.

Is it necessary to remove the chrome trim at the base of the windshield? Are there other screws than the 7 or so I already took out (they were the vertical ones) ?

I have the manuals on DVD for the car but I can't find where it says how to remove the windshield wiper motor. Fix it, rebuild it, etc, but not how to get the dang thing out.

I have the 1967 Buick Shop Manual, the Buick Chassis and Parts 1940-1970 and the Fisiher 1967 Body Service Manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Colin

Most of the GM models from this era had the cowl just pressed in underneath the windshield molding. A little wiggling should pop it out. You should not have to remove the trim.

Greg

Besides the small screws across front there are 2 big bolts at each end at rear hood hinge area.  Then open the doors and above top hinge you will see a curved bracket that ties the fender to firewall.  Need to loosen the bolt that goes into firewall because the cowl has a forked opening that is secured under bolt. Again just loosen. No need to remove. Then it will slide out. 

Usually the worst part of removing the cowl is getting wiper arms off without damaging paint. there is a thick foam gasket between motor and firewall. This is available reproduction. 

Having said that I have never removed the cowl to replace a wiper motor. Yes it requires patience and dexterity but it can be done. Unbolt the motor and you can pull it through opening just enough to remove the nut attaching linkage arm. There is no clip

• Like 4

Mr. Colin

I removed and reinstalled mine because the debris screen was the most rusty thing on my car. 

I soaked the screen and transmission in liquid rust remover over night. Re-painted all. Lubed. Better than new.

Just  do as JZ states. Lift the front lip and slide forward.

The hardest part is the wiper blades.  Make sure you wear thick gloves when  removing  / reinstalling them. Driver over passenger. Towels all around to protect the paint.

I used nylon washers under the sheetmetal screws to not tear the paint. This is actually done on other cars from factory.

>1968 don't have these issues!  

L.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input. I had to take off the cowl because my fingers are too big to do anything with in small spaces. But, it came off and went back on easily. Now the wiper motor is on its way to D&M in Greenville, SC to be restored.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:27 AM, PWB said:

debris screen was the most rusty thing on my car

I recently replaced the hood to cowl weather strip on my 68. (bought from Steele Rubber). I removed the debris screen and painted it with Rustolium primer then satin black paint. I also vacuumed as much of the debris out of the cowl well as I could get to. It's amazing how much better the engine compartment looks just by painting the screen.

I also had someone ask me if I could reproduce that screen. I told them there are too many machine pressed curves in it for me to reproduce and that I would stick to just selling the 68-70 trunk mats.

• 2 years later...