Spectacular Collection of Late Pre-War Buicks for sale, upcoming Mecum auction

Centurion

Mecum's upcoming May, 2019 auction in Indianapolis lists a remarkable array of pre-war Buicks, and I assume that these might all come from the same collection.

Every year of Series 90 Limited is represented from 1937 - 1942, and there's a stunning 1942 Roadmaster Sedanette and a 1949 Roadmaster Estate Wagon offered as well.

mecum-6.jpg

mecum-4.jpg

mecum-5.jpg

mecum-2.jpg

mecum-1.jpg

mecum-3.jpg

mecum-7.jpg

mecum-10.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

Yes, all from Del DeYoung's collection. I remember seeing the green '42 76-S at the Rochester, Minnesota BCA national meet. Wow, what a collection! Thanks for pointing this out.

Pete Phillips

Pete, I had hoped that someone here would be familiar with this collection or know the seller.  that '42 76-S is stunning!

I now remember where I've seen these cars.

When Bill McLaughlin and I drove our Buicks to the national meet in Rochester, Minnesota in 2006, we were invited by Del to stop in Friesland, Wisconsin to tour his collection even though he would not be home at the time.

It was a +90F day and Del's building was so well insulated that it was 60F on the inside.  That's the interior of his building in the pics.  It sure felt great.  Wonderful collection.

The attached pic was taken on that trip on that same day we were in Friesland but this dealership is in Fox Lake, Wisconsin, just down the road from Friesland.

post-44136-143142504812.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

1937 Limited: $19,800

1938 Limited: $15,400

1939 Limited: $24,200

1940 Limited: $40,150

1941 Limited: $44,000

1942 Limited: $77,000

1942 Roadmaster: $26,400

1949 Roadmaster Wagon: $66,000

The only price on this list that seemed market-correct was the '41 Limited, although I'll admit I was a bidder on the '42 Limited and bailed when it crossed $40. $77,000 is almost shocking, but then again, where will you find another one? The '42 Roadmaster sedanet seems especially cheap (probably the color), as was the '38 Limited. The '40 Limited was a little eyebrow-raising on the high side, but that's a good sign that maybe these big cars are warming up. The wagon might have been a little cheap, too, but I had a blue one that I couldn't give away for $75,000 so might just be the market on high-end woodies these days.

• Like 2

Those are interesting results.  I think whoever purchased those 1st 3 Limited ought to be very happy.    I think the 42 Limited pricing is the for 2 reasons, as stated already by Matt - rarity and that is a nice color when most of these are black.  I have looked for a 42 Limited off and on for 15 years and have only seen 3 for sale in any condition.  I personally love that over the top 42 Sedanette but color certainly held it back. 

I did not think I would have a chance at purchasing any of these or I might have gone and bid on those 1st 3 Limiteds to buy. I just assumed all would go for + $30,000 to $40,000.   Pete's write up will be fun to read.

6 minutes ago, SBRMD said:

Wow, the '38 was a complete steal.

Not really. Both the '37 and the '38 had completely wrong interiors and they were both in somewhat disappointing condition, compared to the others, which were beautifully restored to near perfection. Poor paint quality; some of the glass was badly discolored; wrong door panel material; dashboards not wood-grained, etc. The buyer will have to spend a boatload of $$$ to bring them up to the condition of the other ones, if that is their goal.

Pete Phillips

Edited by Pete Phillips
typo correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I thought the '49 model 79 was a steal. $62,000 doesn't approach the cost of restoring one of these, and this car had every nut and bolt and every piece of wood done. The only flaw I saw was an incorrect "Dyna-Flow" ornament on the rear below the tailgate (it had a '50-'52 style one). Only six of these Roadmaster wagons in the entire BCA, and only a few hundred were ever made. There will be an extensive article on these Buicks in a future Bugle magazine, but right now I can't think about it--too swamped getting ready for the national meet.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

• Like 4

I’m happy I wasn’t there.  The Roadmaster Sedanette would have been far too tempting for the price it went for...of course, one never knows how far someone else will go to get it.  I like the colour, but that’s always a matter of personal preference.

4 hours ago, Thriller said:

I’m happy I wasn’t there.  The Roadmaster Sedanette would have been far too tempting for the price it went for...of course, one never knows how far someone else will go to get it.  I like the colour, but that’s always a matter of personal preference.

I was there!!...in Indy at least... I really thought about going over there. I wanted the '42 Limited, I would have settled for the sedanette or the '38 of course. I figured any of them would  be a several hundred thousand dollar car even at the $26K the sedanette sold for cause I either would to have bought a building or got a divorce so either way it was gonna cost me a lot more than the value of the car...😂

I went over to the Speedway instead and drank beer in the suite for free...all worked out...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

being new to the pre-war interest and learning as i go

after reading the above i understand and see what has been said about most of the cars but am curious why does it seem the 39 was low from the pics it was much nicer than the 37-38 

but yet the price doesnt seem to reflect that. i would have expected a higher price

any ideas/info appreciated

i am actually partial to the color or does that hurt the limited series?

The '39 burned oil and smoked quite a bit, so that was probably the reason for its somewhat lower price. Cosmetically, it was absolutely gorgeous--looked like a total restoration but maybe it had some broken piston rings or they didn't rebore the engine? See it in the first photo, second car from the camera, laying down some "fog".

IMG_2815.JPG

IMG_2813.JPG

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 2

What was the status of the cars prior to the auction? Were they driven regularly or were they static displays? I am not familiar with the collection from which they came. Perhaps some driving would limber up the '39 and help with the oil burning. Or not. That's the gamble, I suppose.

Pete is probably quite correct in saying that suppressed bidding. Buyers are skittish folk even though from this side of the TV screen it seems like they just throw money at anything. A car with issues getting onto the block will be hurt in the bidding, regardless of whether there's an actual problem.

It was also nice to see them all lined up together. I did not realize that the Limited was completely redesigned between '37 and '38--I always assumed they were virtually identical. Seeing them side-by-side it's easy to note significant differences. Still hate the skirts on the '37, but I think it's a more imposing car.

thank you for the info the oil burner makes sense

and there always seems to be certain years that do not fair as well in popularity

a perfect example that comes to mind is the 70 Riv no where near as popular as the years around it (i happen to like it)

my first interest was perked by a 36 special and all the art deco, recently we came pretty close to getting a 37 and then a 38 possibility came our way

but as such still waiting for the combination of car, money , space, and time to be correct

i am sure it will happen one day but building the knowledge till then

thank you for the info, always looking to learn

• Like 1

That 37 limo has made it's way to Columbus Ohio! 

I will say that when we arrived to the auction we didn't even know these cars existed, but that lineup was cool as hell and one of them was a limo.. it just had to be ;)

The car is not perfect but is shows very well (especially when not sitting next to a completely restored one)  

It starts every time and cruises down the road nicely!  

there were a bunch of new parts in the trunk including what appears to be a complete window/door trim kit

Can't wait to start tinkering on it and would love to gather from your knowledge base

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I did not realize that the Limited was completely redesigned between '37 and '38--I always assumed they were virtually identical. Seeing them side-by-side it's easy to note significant differences. Still hate the skirts on the '37, but I think it's a more imposing car.

actually 38 and 39 are the same body from the cowl back.

and for the 80 series the same for 38 through 40.