Unknown carburetor. What is it?

stakeside

This carb came on a engine I acquired. The engine was from a 29 Dodge Bros DA6. It appears to be one of the replacement carbs available thru local parts stores and there is no model name shown.

What is it? Any information is greatly appreciated.

May have lucked out here since I need a carb for my engine. It was clean inside and the plunger leather was still soft . Also was able to salvage the bowl gasket.

Are there rebuild kits available?

A42ECB44-59B6-4EB8-8D01-C915C67AD93A.thumb.jpeg.16fca6478854b23cb6ccd76e83ad0ccc.jpeg22745A54-4AFB-41B4-80E4-D6C4F69FF844.thumb.jpeg.f60e5e3e7ed4bef35d5dcdfc8b9539fc.jpeg8B23D741-D2A5-45F8-A8A7-7C357461818F.thumb.jpeg.9e60365ea66a4ae0164a80849fa137b0.jpeg

2 hours ago, stakeside said:

This carb came on a engine I acquired. The engine was from a 29 Dodge Bros DA6. It appears to be one of the replacement carbs available thru local parts stores and there is no model name shown.

What is it? Any information is greatly appreciated.

May have lucked out here since I need a carb for my engine. It was clean inside and the plunger leather was still soft . 

You still need a carb! ;)

What you have is the infamous Marvel / Schebler model HU.

This is a Rayfield design, made in the Marvel / Schebler plant after their acquisition by Borg-Warner. 

Originally, the carb DID have a maker's name. ;) It was a water decal that came off with the first engine warm-up. The name-du-jour could have been Rayfield, Johnson, Marvel/Schebler, Wizard, etc., depending on what cut-rate mail-order house was the seller. Sold by J.C. Whitney, Warshawski, Sears, Western Auto, etc. to those customers too frugal to purchase a gasket set for their original carburetor.

To my knowledge, even Marvel / Schebler did not offer a rebuilding kit; and I have no intention of ever doing so.

Jon.

• Like 1

Too many variables to really give you an exact answer.

Give me a call to discuss. No obligation, and no charge for consultation.

Some things to consider:

Terrain where the vehicle will be driven

Plans (shows, touring, parades, etc.)

Authenticity desire (period, modern, etc.)

Fuel delivery system (original, electric pump)

And finally, budget

573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Tues central time).

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Steward/Detroit carb was having problems. I had this replacement carb and was able to disassemble and clean. All parts were in good shape and bowl was clean. Even the plunger leather was soft. 

Placed on my engine and got it to fire but not sure of the adjustments noted as 1 and 2. This carb is a more conventional type as compared to my Steward. Number 1 is the needle valve I believe and I set at 1 1/2 turns out. Do not know the function number 2 valve or what it would set at.EA422605-62EA-4405-942E-550C5A789C1B.thumb.jpeg.a51939fa886c13f862b8eea45bc30e24.jpeg

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)

I have never seen any service literature on your throw-away unit. So, guessing:

1 is probably the idle mixture adjustment. Many updraft carbs had an inverse idle circuit (air metering instead of fuel, in for rich, our for lean). Don't know on yours. On most real carburetors, suggested starting point was 1 turn.

2 is probably the high speed adjustment. I have yet to see an inverse high speed circuit, but have no ideas on yours. Most real carburetors would use 2 1/2 turns as a starting point.

Use the above settings at your own risk, again, guessing!

On a different subject, the Stewart/Detroit was one of the finest carburetors produced during the time frame of your car. If you think it is unconventional, think of it as a USA-produced S.U. Maybe that will help. 

Jon.

I find the adjustments on the Steward/Detroit to be difficult. I have some instructions but can not seem to get it right. I have found in Dodge Bros  parts book that the Zenith 114 1/2 BEXW and the Carter 153S were also available for my 29 Dodge Bros 3/4 t truck. I believe these are cast iron construction. Only have picture of the parts for the Carter. I would be fortunate to find either.

I will be looking for a replacement.

5C10AAD3-B472-4BE8-9F7B-FFC2400A257B.thumb.jpeg.8450e87f09bb5efcf099235905960492.jpeg

a C49FBBC1F-0E9F-4F2D-AA65-4977C1A946C7.thumb.jpeg.0f13dbddc34ee00e1134c28b97bf8377.jpegarter

On 3/2/2019 at 2:34 PM, edinmass said:

Make your life simple. Do what Carbking says. 

Thanks Carbking for your suggestions. Set adjustments as you noted but carb puts out extra gas when I use the choke. Engine does start but can not get it to idle.