INSTALLING VACUUM TRUNK RELEASE

jframe

About to add a vacuum trunk release to my 65, and have all three pieces. Went to put the vacuum cylinder back at the trunk latch, and it seems that the rod for the lock cylinder is too long when it it bolted in. Did Buick make a different length rod for the lock cylinder on models with the vacuum release? There is a short section of rod sticking out of the vacuum chamber that I figured goes into the trunk latch itself, and there is no way to remove it, and allow the rod from the cylinder to go all the way through.

10 minutes ago, jframe said:

About to add a vacuum trunk release to my 65, and have all three pieces. Went to put the vacuum cylinder back at the trunk latch, and it seems that the rod for the lock cylinder is too long when it it bolted in. Did Buick make a different length rod for the lock cylinder on models with the vacuum release? There is a short section of rod sticking out of the vacuum chamber that I figured goes into the trunk latch itself, and there is no way to remove it, and allow the rod from the cylinder to go all the way through.

You have to shorten your original trunk rod. Take it to your grinder and remove small portions until the lock fits securely back in its original location. The short rod on the vacuum portion goes into the original lock as you said. The newly shortened original rod slides in the other side of the vacuum portion. 

Bill

• Like 3