Starter Issue

Bruce  W Jones

Gentleman I just purchased  a 1939 Buick series 40 and starter doesn't seem to disengage at times, makes a humming sound.  Sometimes it functions as it should with no noise.  Previous owner changed to 12 volt and his notes indicated 12 volt solenoid required custom plunger to connect to starter linkage and small modification to mounting holes, this was back in 2013 so I assume it worked OK.   I removed it yesterday and have it at a rebuild shop seeing what could be the problem and hopefully a fix. MY QUESTION: If this doesn't pan out and can't determine the problem have you guys ever used 1939 - 1952 Buick 12 Volt Mini Starter 1107005, 1107049, 1107078 (Fits: 1939 Buick. This starter is smaller that orig and supposed to be a direct fit.  EBAY item not from China but a USA rebuild company.  $325.00 cost, little pricey but I just want the darn thing fixed.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Thanks

Bruce

6 hours ago, Bruce W Jones said:

Gentleman I just purchased  a 1939 Buick series 40 and starter doesn't seem to disengage at times, makes a humming sound.  Sometimes it functions as it should with no noise.  Previous owner changed to 12 volt and his notes indicated 12 volt solenoid required custom plunger to connect to starter linkage and small modification to mounting holes, this was back in 2013 so I assume it worked OK.   I removed it yesterday and have it at a rebuild shop seeing what could be the problem and hopefully a fix. MY QUESTION: If this doesn't pan out and can't determine the problem have you guys ever used 1939 - 1952 Buick 12 Volt Mini Starter 1107005, 1107049, 1107078 (Fits: 1939 Buick. This starter is smaller that orig and supposed to be a direct fit.  EBAY item not from China but a USA rebuild company.  $325.00 cost, little pricey but I just want the darn thing fixed.

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce, I see it works now. But for you and others, the mini starters work well. Mine came from Tom Telesco in MA.

Ben

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bruce W Jones said:

Thanks

Bruce

The ebay listing you show is 10% off now, $292.50. I bought one from the same seller 2mo ago, guess I should have waited for the discount.. I think its a made in Japan starter that has been modified here in the USA to fit the Buick.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 1